Thread: Combat Astronomy - Symmetry Through Collapse

Combat Astronomy - Symmetry Through Collapse

New album by these guys just came out. Early listen through sounds great. They've added a female vocalist who is pretty awesome and over the top. The title track is kicking my @$$ right now.
    Any fans here?

https://www.facebook.com/combatastro...type=3&theater

They had a killer track on one of the Wayside samplers probably 7-8 years ago. I promised myself to explore further but never did. I will check this out. thanks.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I do like them with a female vocalist, Elaine was great with them, I'll check it out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    They had a killer track on one of the Wayside samplers probably 7-8 years ago. I promised myself to explore further but never did. I will check this out. thanks.
    If you're (relatively) new to him/them, start with Dreams No Longer Hesitate or Earth Divided By Zero, both featuring Elaine DiFalco. This is some relentlessly powerful and bottom-heavy stuff, fusing Zeuhl sensibilities, post-rock and avant-jazz. Excellent contemporary "progressive rock".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Need to get this. I may be an old stick-in-the-mud but I have to say I like Combat Astronomy better since they got a real drummer.

Open-minded listeners could do worse than check out Martin Archer's record label, Discus Music, which documents his various projects and other cool stuff:

http://discus-music.co.uk/catalogue

The two massive double CD sets by Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere are excellent adventurous prog. A third album is on its way. And for anyone who digs creative jazz/improv there's a whole bunch of good things.

^ Totally agree about Archer. A most versatile and colourful character on the UK happening experimental jazz and contemporary scene.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post

The two massive double CD sets by Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere are excellent adventurous prog. A third album is on its way. And for anyone who digs creative jazz/improv there's a whole bunch of good things.
    OotUA is intriguing and compelling music.I listened to a clip and i dig it,big time.I ordered the latest release.Thanks for hipping me(us) to it.

Engine Room Favourites has also hit the mark for me.Ordered their most recent work.
    Last edited by walt; 03-08-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Whoa yeah !, Just checked this band out. I need to buy that 2-CD set immediately...great find.
    G.A.S -aholic

The two massive double CD sets by Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere are excellent adventurous prog.
    I didn't know they hade two. I have one of their double CDs (don't remember what it's called). Can you compare the two?

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I didn't know they hade two. I have one of their double CDs (don't remember what it's called). Can you compare the two?
    My impressions:

Compositions on the first album (s/t) are tighter and more frequently driven by motorik / minimalist-repetitive rhythms. Compositions on the second album, O2, are generally looser and with a bigger improv element. First album, particularly the second CD, has more noisy / avant passages, and makes greater use of the "Juxtavoices" choir (which is awesome). Second album has more ambient / spacey passages. I like the first album a bit more, but that's just me and I might change my mind!

Having said all that both albums have a lot in common in their approach and both are really good; it's highly ambitious stuff. If you dig one you will probably dig the other.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Engine Room Favourites has also hit the mark for me.Ordered their most recent work.
    I have the first one, will get the second when I place my next Discus order (they have a discount for larger orders). I agree they are really excellent if you dig that particular strand of avant-but-gutbucket free jazz that comes out of the AACM school. Which I very much do.

I agree they are really excellent if you dig that particular strand of avant-but-gutbucket free jazz that comes out of the AACM school. Which I very much do.
    Moi aussi.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide