Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The most satisfying come back albums

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I give this thread my full endorsement.

Perfect Strangers
    A momentary lapse of reason (sure why not)

I never thought of seasons end as a comeback album though. They replaced a singer. Big whoop.
    Well, I think that was one of the criteria given in the other thread. But yeah, it was still the same musicians and only 4 years or so.

ELPowell
    XTC: Apple Venus Vol. 1 (it might actually be my favorite album by them!)
    Amon Düül II: Vortex
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But yeah, it was still the same musicians and only 4 years or so.
    2 years.

ELPowell was great. I actually think Black Moon wasn't that bad either. Certainly better than many people seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ELPowell
    Good call! I forgot about that one. Definitely another favorite of mine.

Bill

After several uneven albums throughout the late 60s and the early 70s, Bob Dylan released a masterpiece in "Blood on the Tracks". My favorite Dylan album.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Yes - The Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Slapp Happy - Ça Va
    While the songs are outstanding here, there's something about parts of the production that won't agree with me. Still, this is one of those few examples where a band sounds exactly like its former self yet has also moved along - because it was in its artistic nature to do the latter and in so doing actually fulfilling that "exact former self".

Magma's K.A is flamboyantly good, but those were in essence old works from the 70s finally recorded anew. Still a "comeback" album, of course - I mean, even Pitchfork, The Wire and Uncut loved that release. A New dawn for the "hipness cred" of Kobaïan lore.

Then there's Samla Mammas Manna's Kaka from 1999. While there are certain aspects of Rine Stolt's engineering that I don't like at all, the material and playing is so fucking strong here that it simply elevates the whole experience. Played in one sitting it's a mammoth suite of nosejobby mock-rock, and it still holds up today.

Tilt (1995) by Scott Walker. Heartfelt yet refined troubadour returns as cerebral cyber-wizard minstrel of the present - and has effectively stayed there, in contemporary presence. If there's an actual progressive pop/rock/folk commitment of the current moment out there, I'm afraid his spectacle is dangerously more close to it than 99% of what's usually discussed in places like PE. Although, obviously, we're gratefully discussing Scott as well...

From a post-70s progressive band, I'd go with In Extremis by Thinking Plague. Back in '98 I think I'd been through every possible motion of that so-called 'third wave' semi-sham, but this release represented my singular feeling of something genuinely happening. A completely other level of composition and performance and vision altogether.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-07-2017 at 03:36 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I was going to say ELPowell but because of the Powell factor, didn't...in case someone quibbled whether this is a 'comeback' or another band altogether. It's better than the two 'proper' 90s ELP comebacks. (Black Moon isn't bad, but Palmer's drumming style on it is very stiff, IMHO, which really lets the arrangements down.)

What did people make of the pseudo-Cream BBM project (Bruce, Baker, Gary Moore)? I never see that mentioned very often.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-18-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Banned
    Who Are You (the album) by The Who.

Black Sabbath.......13
    Soundgarden........King Animal

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    How is that a comeback album?

Van Halen......A Different Kind of Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was going to say ELPowell but because of the Powell factor, didn't...in case someone quibbled whether this is a 'comeback' or another band altogether. It's better than the two 'proper' 90s ELP comebacks. (Black Moon isn't bad, but Palmer's drumming style on it is very stiff, IMHO, which really lets the arrangements down.)
    No quibble from me, this is an ELP album as far as I'm concerned. And I agree about Black Moon, disappointing, primarily from a rhythmic perspective, thought I don't think the writing is particularly inspired either. And Hot Seat was just totally un-salvageable to my ears.

Bill

The Cars - Move Like This
    Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
    Tears For Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending
    The Outfield - RePlay
    Billy Idol - Devil's Playground
    The Fixx - Beautiful Friction

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How is that a comeback album?
    Due to three-year of The Who's hiatus between By Numbers and Who Are You; the band were drifting apart during that period, as the band members were working on their solo stuff.

Not a comeback album.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Not a comeback album.
    In the 70s, if a band like The Who does not enter together in the studio for three years - during which the members were about their solo careers - and then recorded an album, it was called a comeback album (i.e. it was not necessary that such a band officially declare that no longer exists). Capito?

We have to remember, Svet lives in his only reality and will argue to the death to support it.

Yes- 90215
    Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (so monumental Rolling Stone devoted the entire review space to just that album)
    Soundgarden - King Animal
    Van Halen - Different Kind of Truth
    Allman Brothers - Hittin' the Note
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Transatlantic The Whirlwind
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Sheffield Steel by Joe Cocker

Banned
    Rough by Tina Turner

In the 70s, if a band like The Who does not enter together in the studio for three years - during which the members were about their solo careers - and then recorded an album, it was called a comeback album (i.e. it was not necessary that such a band officially declare that no longer exists). Capito?

It's not a comeback album by any conventionally-understood interpretation of the term. Therefore it is ineligible for the thread.
    Last edited by Facelift; 03-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Banned
    Supernatural by Santana

Two Against Nature by Steely Dan

The Road of Bones by IQ
    Last edited by Svetonio; 03-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Santana IV........A comeback album for that line-up. There's enough good music on it to satisfy me, but there's too much filler, which ranges from ok to crap.