Thread: Kevin Gilbert: The Kaviar Sessions

Kevin Gilbert: The Kaviar Sessions

I've been a HUGE Kevin Gilbert fan since Toy Matinee (which I purchased when it was released as a total chance!!!!). I have Thud and The Shaming of the True........But what about The Kaviar Sessions. I have heard this is VERY different. Anyone have this? Is it worth adding to my Kevin Gilbert collection? THUD is one of my favorite CDs of the last 20 years!!!!

Thanks Guys (and Gals)!

Jefferson James
    What philsunset said!

There's some good stuff on there. He was in a really weird place lyrically though, to say the least. So be ready for that. The talk of hand jobs in some other tunes will seem tame in comparison to a few things on here. He has a number of tunes where he talks more than sings too, though that does not really detract from them.

Kaviar sessions is excellent, I had the boots and loved the official release even though not all the sessions were included.

"Indian burn" has as good biting sarcasm as "waiting"

Wonderful mix, fantastic music and concepts lyrics. Not for the prudish. If you think about the track "fun" on shaming, it's 10x more crude, but works.

If you've heard any of the 17cd boot set there's a lot of good material still left

It's worth hearing, just for "The Sultan of Brunei."

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    If you've heard any of the 17cd boot set there's a lot of good material still left
    whaaaa?

It's definitely "different" than his previous releases. While I'm wild about Kevin, this album is not among my favorites. A few good gems, but otherwise, I rarely play it. I just can't relate to this more "crude" side of the usually sensitive and thoughtful stuff he is known for.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Thanks for the input....I think I'll get the Nuts and Bolts CD's first...I just listened to a few songs from them courtesy of YouTube. Very good stuff....Still can't believe he's no longer with us.

There's a boot tree on the Gilbert list that put together all the demos, soundtracks, alternate takes, radio interviews, a few live performances, and other unreleased stuff.

Sound quality ranges from horrid to good.

For the Gilbert freak.

Personally, I find Kaviar to be a fantastic release, second only to shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    There's a boot tree on the Gilbert list that put together all the demos, soundtracks, alternate takes, radio interviews, a few live performances, and other unreleased stuff.

Sound quality ranges from horrid to good.
    That boot tree isn't really ALL the demos etc. Just what they were able to obtain. But still there's a lot of music there. Too bad about the sound quality of some of it.