Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rush - Double Agent

Really great, unique tune for sure. My 3rd favorite after the amazing Animate, and Cut to the Chase.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    IMO, the early '80s "trilogy" of MP, Signals and P/G is Peart's zenith as a lyricist, followed by VT, Permanent Waves and most of Power Windows & HYF.
    Would make it an early 80s "quadrilogy" and add Permanent Waves to that trio. The pinnacle for Rush lyrically and musically, in my view (80-84)

Double Agent was, for me, the highlight of the CP tour and I'll stick my neck out for everyone to chop my head off by saying it's one of the best songs they ever performed live.

I got to see this three times and DA was so amazing in a live setting. "A wilderness of mirrors" and "And the cross of holy fire" came across so very well with the lighting and visual effects and the song rocked so much harder than the studio version. It's too bad the video version from that tour didn't catch it well at all. I did find a different video version of the show recently but it's not much better. They had mirrors hanging at the front of the stage with lights bouncing off of them and the screen lit up with burning crosses and flames from the front of the stage. Very compelling, it was. The first time I heard it live I hadn't even remembered it from listening to the album.

I held up a huge Brazilian flag with a kid from there at the Sacramento show. Not sure how the hell we managed to do that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Double Agent was, for me, the highlight of the CP tour and I'll stick my neck out for everyone to chop my head off by saying it's one of the best songs they ever performed live.

I got to see this three times and DA was so amazing in a live setting. "A wilderness of mirrors" and "And the cross of holy fire" came across so very well with the lighting and visual effects and the song rocked so much harder than the studio version. It's too bad the video version from that tour didn't catch it well at all. I did find a different video version of the show recently but it's not much better. They had mirrors hanging at the front of the stage with lights bouncing off of them and the screen lit up with burning crosses and flames from the front of the stage. Very compelling, it was. The first time I heard it live I hadn't even remembered it from listening to the album.

I held up a huge Brazilian flag with a kid from there at the Sacramento show. Not sure how the hell we managed to do that.
    Hey TheLoony, good to see ya! The CP tour was very good - I saw them at MSG.

Yep, I'm back to and ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Of course, the obligatory "whateva" has to be said as you all know I'm full of it.

I want to get back to the topic at hand, the song. Come on, did no one else see what I did in the live version? The juxtaposition of visuals and lyrics?

It's like The Pretty Reckless. Listen to their studio versions then listen to the live version. The live version is what the song really sounds like and the studio version is weak. Same with DA.

I guess you had to have been there. Luckily, I found this out on the first show I saw and was able to really check it out on the other two shows I saw. I was too young to see them in the early days but from when I first saw them in 1984 until the end, DA is easily in my top 5 of live songs they ever pulled off.

"My angels and my demons at war".

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Come on, did no one else see what I did in the live version?.
    The live version was great. I remember it from the 6th row in Philly and being very happy that they played it. I didn't expect them to as it was a bit on the experimental side of Counterparts due to the spoken word. It remains one of my favorites from the album. Too bad it never made one of the official DVDs
    Chad

From '94 (wow, Ged's not even straining his voice)

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why the hell did they put Nobody's Hero on Different Stages instead of something like Double Agent?

Well, they were pushing Nobody's Hero as a single so there's that but they also included Resist instead of DA so there's two songs I would have not included over DA but the fact is they never played it outside of the CP tour and Different Stages is the T4E tour.

Bad timing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me picture a young Neil heading out to his close friends "gay" parties, and yet being completely at ease (nobodies hero). Is there any "crowd" he could ever feel comfortable in? I think those lyrics were a stretch, and not really garnered from experience. I still find the song quite thought provoking, as I do with all Neils lyrics, His are still the best in rock.

I do not agree with some of Neils Lyrics, in terms of his personal cosmology, but I would really enjoy talking with him about it - which is never going to happen, I know.
    Neil makes up lyrics? Can't say I've ever heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey TheLoony, good to see ya! The CP tour was very good - I saw them at MSG.
    March 8 and 9 at MSG, and once each at the Meadowlands and The Spectrum in April.

Short tour.

The burning crosses were on the back screen, the flame jets were quite real and very hot.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Disagree. Vapor Trails is awesome. Both that and CA are better than S&A, too. That one has some killa cuts (the instrumentals, and "Far Cry," mainly), but also the most duds since Presto/RTB.
    I agree with this. Post RTB I would rate them:

Vapor Trails
    Counterparts
    Clockwork Angels
    Snakes & Arrows
    Test for Echo

My favorite tunes on Counterparts are "Cut to the Chase" and "Cold Fire," which are two of my favorite Rush songs. But "Double Agent" and "Alien Shore" are right behind them. I love the big open chords that lead into the chorus of "Double Agent."