Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranking Glass Hammer Albums

Ranking Glass Hammer Albums

I bought the Valkyrie album a few weeks ago and I have really been enjoying it. I actually have seen them a few times (Nearfest, 3RP, Rosfest) but I have never been sure what of their back catalogue would be worth pursuing because that they have had several singers. I know that Jon Davison was in the band for a while. So where do I start with them? Best albums? Worst albums? Any stories to tell?

Library Jon

Well, my favorite are the 3 with Davison and the one they did with Brad Marler doing the lead vocals, Chronomotree. Of course, I notice a lot of their fans don't care for his voice, but I quite liked it, as it was a very different sound and approach for vocals on a prog album. Another that you should probably put high on the list to pick up is The Inconsolable Secret. I particularly like the current, 3-CD version that has remixed versions of a lot of the songs, with Jon Davison singing on two of those.

I guess the thing with me is I don't really care for Fred and Steve's vocals (couldn't really tell you which is which). They are not bad, of course, I just don't think they suit the music very well. Just a personal taste thing really, and certainly my personal opinion. I do, however, love Susie's voice, and Walter Moore was pretty good as well with them.

That said, I've found something to enjoy on all their albums, though I don't have their second and third album, Lex Rex, or 3 Cheers. I don't know whether I'll get those or not.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    .....That said, I've found something to enjoy on all their albums.....
    I agree with this statement whole-heartedly.

Coincidentally, I am currently spinning Chronometree. Haven't listened to this cd in ages. Same with much of their albums I own. That being said, here's my take on the ones I have, bearing in mind I don't have a fresh imprint in my head of the music.

Chronometree ~ great retro sound, especially keyboard wise. probably my favourite of theirs when it comes to those keys (nice blistering hammond here and there). fun disc
    Lex Rex ~ some more great hammond. not as consistently enjoyable for me as Chron but still plenty to chew one's prog teeth into
    Shadowlands ~ they cover a Fogelberg tune (Longer) on this one. long time since listening to this one, but I do recall getting plenty of mileage on the 20 minute epic, which has lots of prog twists and turns, quiet and louder parts and a great build-up towards the end. nice strings accompaniment too
    Culture of Ascent ~ they cover Yes' South Side of the Sky and do a nice job. very different sound on this album and for my ears, it's a refreshing change
    If ~ Davison on vocals and the Yes influence abounds! great disc
    Perilous ~ the most recent of their discography I have, which reminds me I need to spin this one next to refresh myself because I'm struggling to remember what I thought of it! So...reserved opinion.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My favorite is their 1979 album "On Our Own":

The Inconsolable Secret is the crown jewel of their catalogue. Live At NEARfest is probably my second most listened-to.

Perilous, Valkyrie, The Breaking Of The World, If and Lex Rex would be the next five for me. I like most of what they've done, including the underrated Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My favorite is their 1979 album "On Our Own":

LOL! Also from Tennessee. Who would have thought?

I also don't believe you've ever listened to this album

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    LOL! Also from Tennessee. Who would have thought?

I also don't believe you've ever listened to this album
    I only listen to it on Checkers night with the boys.

In my view, Inconsolable Secret stands far above anything else they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I bought the Valkyrie album a few weeks ago and I have really been enjoying it. I actually have seen them a few times (Nearfest, 3RP, Rosfest) but I have never been sure what of their back catalogue would be worth pursuing because that they have had several singers. I know that Jon Davison was in the band for a while. So where do I start with them? Best albums? Worst albums? Any stories to tell?

Library Jon
    Is Valkyrie inspired by Wagner or have any connection whatsoever?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is Valkyrie inspired by Wagner or have any connection whatsoever?
    No, it's a concept album about a soldier who can't deal with the horrors of war he has witnessed, and can't find his way home. It becomes a conversation between him and the woman he loves back home - who becomes like the Valkyrie of Norse mythology (the angel of the battlefield who chose which fallen souls she would take home to Valhalla). It's heavy subject matter, and closes with the most beautiful and haunting track they've ever done ("Rapturo").
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've come to really like Shadowlands. And I also like 3 Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've come to really like Shadowlands. And I also like 3 Cheers.
    Shadowlands has some great material for sure. My only issue with it is the cover of "Longer", a song I've never liked.

Three Cheers has some killer tracks on it! It receives less attention because it is not conceptual and has no long epics on it. But it's pure Glass Hammer sound IMO. And I know that Fred, Steve and Susie are all still pleased with that one.

I think this is an interesting, and from my perspective, fairly accurate ranking of Glass Hammer albums. These are the rankings of the studio and live albums on RateYourMusic.com (excellent site, BTW), and rankings are done on a "1" (lowest) to "5" (highest) scale:

3.74 – The Inconsolable Secret (2005)
    3.67 – The Compilations, 1996 to 2004 (2006)
    3.64 – Live at NEARfest (2004)
    3.60 – Cor Cordium (2011)
    3.58 – If (2010)
    3.55 – Shadowlands (2004)
    3.53 – Valkyrie (2016)
    3.46 – Lex Rex (2002)
    3.46 – Chronometree (2000)
    3.45 – One (Babb & Schendel’s First Recordings 1991-1992) (2010)
    3.42 – Perilous (2012)
    3.42 – Culture of Ascent (2007)
    3.38 – Double Live (2015)
    3.36 – The Breaking of the World (2015)
    3.28 – Ode to Echo (2014)
    3.12 – On To Evermore (1998)
    3.08 – Three Chearts for the Broken-Hearted (2009)
    3.07 – Perelandra (1995)
    3.07 – Live and Revived (1997)
    2.57 – Journey of the Dunadan (1993)
    2.53 – The Middle Earth Album (2001)

Rick

Man! They are prolific. The original Inconsolable Secret, especially disc 2, is my favorite!

Really tough to rate them for me. As others have mentioned “The Inconsolable Secret” ranks right up there near the top. Probably their best “epic” prog release. I really liked Walter Moore as a vocalist so “Shadowlands” has always been a favorite. He brought a Kansas like feel to the band. The John Davison albums are also very good. They do Yes better than Yes in some spots. “Perleandra” has always held a soft spot for me as it was my first GH album. “Lex Rex”, “Breaking”, “On To Evermore” all have their moments and are generally good. Not sure why, but I have not picked up the new one yet. I have to get that. I am not very fond of the “Bilbo” or “Journey” albums.

Pretty much everything from Chronometree onward is great (or at least good). Lex-Rex was my introduction to the band, and for me the first half overshadows the second half of the album, but it's still very enjoyable.

Loved the Jon Davison albums too, but The Breaking of the World is killer, and Valkyrie is also excellent.

Very hard to rank them, personally. I actually prefer the re-released 3-disc edition of The Inconsolable Secret with the remixed/expanded songs over the original release.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Shadowlands has some great material for sure. My only issue with it is the cover of "Longer", a song I've never liked.
    I actually love GH's take on the song "Longer." They breathed a whole new life into an otherwise bland pop song. That's coming from a guy who has every reason to hate the song. As a teenager, while doing some yard work, the client's next door neighbor played the song over and over again the whole time I was there. That can get on anyone's nerves.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Here's how I would rank them (studio only).

Essentials:
    1. Inconsolable Secret
    2. Breaking of the World
    3. Perelandra
    4. Culture of Ascent

Very good:
    5. Shadowlands
    6. Lex Rex
    7. Journey of the Dunadan
    8. Chronomotree
    9. On to Evermore

Good:
    10. If
    11. Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted
    12. Valkyrie
    13. Live and Revived

Cor Cordium, Perilous and Ode to Echo just blend together to me.

I've never heard the Middle Earth Album and from what a friend told me its not worth hearing.

i love 'em all, but I'd say my top three would be Valkyrie, Inconsolable Secret, and Chronometree.

The only one I haven't really been able to get my head around is Culture of Ascent. All the rest are great in their own ways.

Banned
    Valkyrie is their far best album imo.

On what I've got....

Ode to Echo
    Cor Cordium
    If
    The Breaking of the World
    The Inconsolable Secret (3CD version)
    Culture of Ascent
    Perilous

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I like only a couple of their albums feat. JD - "If" and "Cor Cordium".

Perilous is my favorite but If and Inconsolable Secret come close.

In my opinion they have never released a bad record.

(And Valkyrie is excellent...)
    The Prog Corner

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Inconsolable Secret is the crown jewel of their catalogue.
    Thanks for pointing this out - I bought a copy off Amazon this past weekend. Looking forward to it. I only own Valkyrie. I'm also looking forward to seeing Glass Hammer in Quebec City this May.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I actually love GH's take on the song "Longer." They breathed a whole new life into an otherwise bland pop song. That's coming from a guy who has every reason to hate the song. As a teenager, while doing some yard work, the client's next door neighbor played the song over and over again the whole time I was there. That can get on anyone's nerves.
    Totally. I hate the original with a passion but GH have really done something incredible with it.

I tend to agree that Inconsolable Secret is the best one, if only because of its ultra wide scope, it's almost like they attempted (and succeeded?) to make the most massive, overblown prog rock album of all time. It's got everything - choirs, orchestras, lots of neat instrumental bits, and a song that sounds straight off the soundtrack to Grease. Really incredible stuff.

For the record I think all their albums are good to great, with the exception of the first two. Which are still alright. I'll stick my neck out for The Middle Earth Album - the first half is good fun for dorks, the second half has some real great stuff on it though. "This Fading Age" is one of my favorite GH songs, so it's nice they include it on two albums Also gonna say, Three Cheers is very very good, if not exactly a prog rock LP.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com