Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ranking Glass Hammer Albums

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Their latest studio album is "Valkyrie" and it's amazing. If you like the "ladies singing", you'll love it - Suzie gives her best performance, in my opinion.

They've released a sort of "rarities" album since then. I must admit I haven't picked it up yet, but I do need to do that.
    Oh yes, I do have Valkyrie - Sorry, I was thinking there was yet another one. THey are very busy. I really enjoyed Valkyrie - ready for whatever is next
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Oh yes, I do have Valkyrie - Sorry, I was thinking there was yet another one. THey are very busy. I really enjoyed Valkyrie - ready for whatever is next
    You may be thinking of Untold Tales, which came out last year but is a compilation of unreleased tracks from various points in their career.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Are the "ladies" the same that are on Shadowlands?
    Only Susie performs on their latest. If memory serves, on Shadowlands, IS and maybe Lex Rex, the band also featured backing vocals by Susie's sister Bethany and Flo Paris.

I replied to that last question without addressing the task of the thread itself!
    My first GH album was Chronometree. A friend who used to own a little CD shop in San Rafael recommended it to me. I loved it! I somehow missed the Middle Earth Album but when Lex Rex showed up in the shop I was super excited. I loved the cover first off! I remember slapping the disc in my car as I drove away from the shop. I instantly loved the music but I didn't realize the guy who did the vocals on Chronometree was not their regular lead voice. I was put off at first by the male vocals on the album. They reminded me of Steve Howe's singing on Beginnings. At first I hated them like small knives drilling into my ears, but over time the music drew me in to such a degree as I came to appreciate the vocals as a whole and Lex Rex remains my fave GH album to this day. Sure, Fred and Steve's vocals aren't the strongest in the classic sense of can they carry a song like a proper instrument, but the way GH arranges their tracks, the vocals are more like a particular sonic addition to a much larger musical canvas and somehow it all comes together, like a Jackson Pollock painting. This is not the case with albums where Jon Davison takes the lead or to a lesser extent Susie on Valkyrie. I feel like when it comes to GH, JD is the one true lead voice person they have had in that his vocals can carry an album and let the instruments focus on everything else. I can't help but wonder if Steve Howe didn't insist on keeping Yes wheezing along instead of letting it die with dignity like Rush, whether or not we would have JD making more beautiful albums with GH as his three with the band are my next favorites by a wide margin. Closing out my rankings after Lex and the JD trio:

Chronometree
    Shadowlands
    Inconsolable Secret
    Valkyrie
    Ode to Echo
    Breaking of the World
    Culture of Ascent

Addendum: I also quite like the first compilations album which features In the Court of Alkinoos.

agreed about Davison, though I think having a 'regular' lead vocalist kind of hinders the band in a way. they tend to get more creative when they have to cobble together the lead role the same way a baseball manager has to navigate a game without a starting pitcher.

its nice that they've come to realize Susie as the best singer they've ever had though. I liked Walter Moore quite a bit too.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Well the 3rd disc is a different mix. That was the point of the set. But I wonder if the original mix on the first 2 cd's has a different mastering than the original release?

Most remasters suck, but Big Big Train for example, reissued 'English Electric" with a better mastering.
    I could easily be wrong, but the liner notes don't mention anything about a remix or remaster of the main album, just the 3rd CD. I was under the impression the first two CD's are exactly the same as the original release, but I could easily be wrong about that. Both Fred and Steve are members of this forum, so they would be the ones to ask, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    For some reason I was under the impression that on Perilous GH had gone in some kind of Metal direction, but I listened to it today for the first time and it's great. Possibly the strongest album I've heard by them. And I didn't know Jon Davison is on it. He sounds great, some of his best work too.

The album seems to have some concept storyline to it but I'm not sure what it is.
    Perilous is easily my favorite album of theirs at this point. They all have good stuff and are all worth listening to, but that one just hits me more than the others.

I get the impression that the album is one long song, but I don't know if that is what they were going for or not. In any case, my absolute favorite by them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    agreed about Davison, though I think having a 'regular' lead vocalist kind of hinders the band in a way. they tend to get more creative when they have to cobble together the lead role the same way a baseball manager has to navigate a game without a starting pitcher.

its nice that they've come to realize Susie as the best singer they've ever had though. I liked Walter Moore quite a bit too.
    I like Walter Moore quite a lot, especially on IS and The Knight of the North. I remember being really excited about some of the re-recordings the band did of the IS songs, but at the end of the day, I prefer the originals. This surprised me! Very strong record.

I've only ever heard "Lex Rex" and "Shadowlands" years ago. Nice stuff, but a bit twee and the vocals weren't up to snuff.

I recently got "Cor Cordium" and it's much better, and the long tune "To Someone" is sublime! What other stuff sounds like that one?

I recently got "Cor Cordium" and it's much better, and the long tune "To Someone" is sublime! What other stuff sounds like that one?
    I think their albums If and The Breaking of The World are pretty comparable. I like them a lot myself.

I've only ever heard "Lex Rex" and "Shadowlands" years ago. Nice stuff, but a bit twee and the vocals weren't up to snuff.

If and Perilous are the other Jon Davison records and are even better than Cor Cordium (IMHO)
    Prog's Not Dead