Thread: A MELANGE OF MUSICAL PIPEDREAMS AND PANDEMONIUM - the new Vernon Joynson book.

A MELANGE OF MUSICAL PIPEDREAMS AND PANDEMONIUM - the new Vernon Joynson book.

A MELANGE OF MUSICAL PIPEDREAMS AND PANDEMONIUM:

Australian, NEW ZEALAND, AFRICAN, TURKISH AND MIDDLE EASTERN ROCK, POP, BEAT, R&B, FOLK, PSYCH, AFRO-ROCK AND PROG 1963-1976
    by Vernon Joynson

This is the next title in the series that has already brought us Fuzz, Acid and Flowers (US psych, prog and hippie-rock 1963-1976) (2010) and The Two-Volume Tapestry of Delights (UK rock, pop, beat, R&B, folk, psych and prog 1963-1976) (2014).

Following exactly the same format as for The Two-Volume Tapestry of Delights Vernon covers Australian, New Zealand, African, Turkish and Middle Eastern Rock, Pop, Folk, Psych, Afro-Rock And Prog Between 1963 and 1976.

There are hundreds of entries (large and small) in this volume. Each entry provides detailed artists discographies (album, EP and 45). The discographies are extremely detailed and, for most entries, artists’ overseas releases are included, as well as comprehensive reissue information, details of retrospective compilations and appearances on various artists’ compilations, where applicable. Most entries contain bibliographical details and descriptions and critiques of the music in as much detail as possible. A rarity scale is provided for albums and EP releases.

The book’s scope is even wider than the title suggests with some other genres, such as jazz and rock-soul, partly covered too. The Turkish and Israeli album, EP, 45 and song titles included have been translated into English wherever possible to make them more accessible to English-speaking readers. The African section encompasses music from several sub-Saharan countries, including Afro-rock from Ghana, Nigeria and Zambia; as well as rock and pop from South Africa and Zimbabwe.

The book is profusely illustrated throughout and contains a 12-page colour section. It is a numbered, limited edition publication of no more than 850 copies (the precise quantity is still to be finalised). There is nothing currently in print similar to this!

Paperback only (there will be no hard back edition of this book).

768 pages; 29.7 x 21 cm plus a 12-page colour section.

ISBN: 9781899855211

Price: 100 €

Publication: last week of June 2017
    it doesn't say whether this will be a Borderline published book, but it does say that it will be the same format.

Note that Australia and NZ have already been covered by Joynson in the Can-Latin America book..

a link for pre-orders I suppose

http://www.shinybeast.nl/item/444533...ndemonium.html
    Last edited by Trane; 03-03-2017 at 04:45 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not sure I'll pull the trigger, but thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I know ... these keep on getting more and more expe,nsive (the revisted ones being even more expensive, for whatever supplementary work these was)...

And in this case, two countries have already been done...
    What is a shame is that two European lands have not been covered (by Asbjornssen): Switzerland and Austria (the first Cosmic Dreams & Play did touch a bit, but it was not thorough).
    Joynson might have done those two instead of repeating Aussie/NZ for the present book
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    What is a shame is that two European lands have not been covered (by Asbjornssen): Switzerland and Austria (the first Cosmic Dreams & Play did touch a bit, but it was not thorough).
    For Swz/Austr, there's still the Freeman bros. Crack in the Cosmic Egg for reasonable adequasy.

Asbjørnsen unfortunately left some rather jarring holes in his view, namely those of Turkey, East Germany, the Soviet Union (Russia espec) and particularly in regard to Israel, who cultivated a substantially interesting rock scene from approx 1968-1982.

But I always enjoyed both Absjørnsen and Joynson, so I'll have to look into this. Too bad about the level of interest in such information having virtually disintegrated among "progressive" rock aficionados these past 15 years - apparntly along with their penchant for generally exploratory developments in the music itself.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Looks fantastic, I have always loved these types of record guides. I have a very early edition of Tapestry of Delights. FWIW, the second edition of my guide will be released in April.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Thank you for the heads-up.

It's a pity the timeline only goes up to 1976. We all know that on periferic countries, Psych and Prog arrived a bit later.

Zartong, Asia Minor (half Turkish), Rahmann (originally from Algeria) or SAf Circus, to name a few, will be left out then

Quote Originally Posted by GentleFriend View Post

It's a pity the timeline only goes up to 1976. We all know that on periferic countries, Psych and Prog arrived a bit later.
    It was the same for Canada, really, as he kind of missed some key years

Yeah, it's fairly childisjh of Joynson Asbjornssen is not nearly as categoric about the end date), but he's been fairly constant with himself throughout the ears