Thread: The Musical Box with guest drummer.....

The Musical Box with guest drummer.....

Awesome. Especially since he was struggling with a "wardrobe malfunction".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Amazing. And, he told them there is a new Tool album coming out soon, so this too, is good.

neil

Well, crap. My buddies and I went to the show in Pasadena the night before because it was the rare Black Show. Damn!

As for a new Tool album, until I hold the CD in my greedy little hands, I won't believe it.
    ...or you could love

Thanks so much! I enjoyed that.

But having seen them a week ago, I think TMB's drummer does a significantly better job. I was really impressed with the intricacy of Phil's original patterns being reproduced so well.

It's almost been 11 years since Tool released 10K Days. In that same amount of time Genesis released 7 studio albums and two live albums.

Tool: the band you hate to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    It's almost been 11 years since Tool released 10K Days. In that same amount of time Genesis released 7 studio albums and two live albums.

Tool: the band you hate to love.
    So true!

neil

For me, it is the band I want to love...but have a hard time doing it.

Sorta like Joni Mitchell; I know she is an amazing songwriter, vocalist, and creative guitarist but sometimes despite my respect and admiration, I just want to change the channel!

Wow what a find, and playing on one of my favorite Genesis tunes ever...so underrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hadn't realised the singer even sounds like Gabriel when he speaks!

Nice clip, though...a song that Genesis themselves hardly ever played live. (Also forum favourite Steven Wilson sang this song on Hackett's Genesis Revisited II.) Always good to see well-known musicians acknowledge bands like Genesis.

Yes, you can tell he tries to emulate Peter in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I hadn't realised the singer even sounds like Gabriel when he speaks!
    No, he's "in character". It was odd and fun watching him talk about Danny Carey in his Gabriel voice! A real trip. I thought it was great too. Rare to hear that song live. My band opened for TMB this gig. We had the old Genesis set behind us while we played. That too was trippy!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    No, he's "in character". It was odd and fun watching him talk about Danny Carey in his Gabriel voice! A real trip. I thought it was great too. Rare to hear that song live. My band opened for TMB this gig. We had the old Genesis set behind us while we played. That too was trippy!
    It's often lost sight of the fact that TMB were not really a tribute band but a re-creation of a particular Genesis concert, complete with Gabriel dialogue and stage set. I recall seeing the 25th anniversary of the 1973 CEPSUM SEBTP show in Montreal in 1998. Denis Gagne, the TMB singer, a Quebecois speaking Canadian, even impersonated Peter Gabriel's French with an English accent. how about that for authenticity...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I was at this show. Would have preferred their own drummer to have played it since he would be more familiar with all the percussive nuances. But it was still pretty cool.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    No, he's "in character".
    Well I did actually get that. I hadn't realised the attention to detail extended that far, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I was at this show. Would have preferred their own drummer to have played it since he would be more familiar with all the percussive nuances. But it was still pretty cool.
    Phil was such a fine and tasty drummer. As a drummer myself, it is always wonderful to listen to a great drummer but even better is to watch that drummer. Only then, do the sound and the technique necessary to achieve the sound come together so that one can puzzle out the patterns and relative merit of the drums' part in the song. As I watched TMB's drummer the night I saw the band, I was struck over and over again by Phil's talents and clever ideas. The Musical Box drummer has done an extremely fine job assimilating Phil's style.

I was fascinated by drums and drummers at a young age and many drummers made an impression on me but when I first started hearing Genesis back in early high school (1974) Phil rapidly became "my favorite drummer." I saw the Trick of the Tale tour and the combination of Phil and Bill Bruford's drumming knocked me out. But as I rapidly listened to all of the fine drummers of that age, I started to feel that my adulation of Collins was a bit overdone. I really focused on Bruford's playing with Yes and Crimson and his solo projects. Bubba's (Neil Peart) insanely technical yet lovely playing carved out a special place in my brain. All of the fusion drummers were so fun to watch. So many drummers do amazing things with unique flavors. In the ensuing 40+ years, I have come full circle in some ways. While there really are dozens of fantastic drummers out there, I have come to see that Phil's style is one of a kind and worthy of study.

I think just as Phil Collins did when he sat in with TMB, I have realized that he really did create wonderful drum tracks with Genesis. His talents were huge and his voice on the drums was perfect for the music. Seeing TMB really crystallized that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Awesome. Especially since he was struggling with a "wardrobe malfunction".
    Then he fixed it and got better with his wardrobe.

A couple of those TMB drummers I saw were world class. The one who looks and sings like Phil too. And the guy who did Bruford who also is in a Mahavishna band.

I think those two guys do Genesis drumming better than Chester Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    A couple of those TMB drummers I saw were world class. The one who looks and sings like Phil too.
    That would be Martin Levac.

He's doing a Phil Collins trib show now.

http://martinlevac.com/

DtB