Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Lang

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Yes,
    Very interesting, i have a problem with his voice so.
    There are instrumental albums by him. This compilation is quite lengthy and only has one vocal:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Soli-R...s=robbie+basho

Nearly EVERYONE has a problem with his voice - even the people who 'sorta, kinda' can deal with it (hand up).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Robbie Basho's style of playing is not the usual finger style picking, it's more waves of chords strummed very fast. For this style I actually prefer Peter Walker, whose album "Rainy Day Raga" pretty much defines the style for me.

There are a few people who have tried to do this 'raga' style on electric guitars, most notably Clark-Hutchinson in their album "A=MH2."

This lovely video popped up in my FB feed late last night - it was Mississippi John Hurt's birthday.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    This lovely video popped up in my FB feed late last night - it was Mississippi John Hurt's birthday.

Huge fan, his fingerpicking and his phrasing is so amazing ! I never get tired to listen to him, it sounds so easy and is so tricky. The 3 Vanguard records are very good especially the first two . The other day I heard an interesting 1964 Radio show where he was invited together with Skip James.

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I found a slightly longer version of the video with a spoken introduction by Hurt. Btw who is the woman beside Pete Seeger, his sister Peggy ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Huge fan, his fingerpicking and his phrasing is so amazing ! I never get tired to listen to him, it sounds so easy and is so tricky.
    Nicely said!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

If you're interested in Fahey-esque, trancey guitarists, may I suggest:

Sarah Louise (who I saw last year and who was amazing). John Battema was with me and I think he was reasonably blow away as well.
    [she has one vinyl only release, but you can buy it digitally on BandCamp)
    Quite enjoyed this one. Thanks!

Nice to see this thread as I gravitate to this kind of music/this style of guitar playing when I need to hit the reset button after too many hours of prog, fusion and jazz. I'm less a fan of Lang, although I do like him, and more a fan of Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Jack Rose, Glenn Jones, Robbie Basho and Steffen Basho-Junghans.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I'm less a fan of Lang, although I do like him, and more a fan of Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Jack Rose, Glenn Jones, Robbie Basho and Steffen Basho-Junghans.
    We're still here for you, man!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com