Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me prioritize my belated purchases.

1) The Neal Morse Band
    2) Anderson/Stolt
    3) Big Big Train

Those three are 10/10.

Haven't heard the new Thinking Plague yet but they're always worthy.

New Yes album? Are you referring to Heaven & Earth? If so, that album was watered down Yes-lite but not as horrible as some suggest.

The new Kansas is good. The new Glass Hammer LP is very good. And the Steven Wilson is for completists only...

Lots of good stuff on your list but I'd start with Neal Morse!!! Truly great album that gets better with each spin.
    The Prog Corner

SW's 4 1/2 isn't necessarily a let down, but paying for 3 really good tracks (My Book of Regrets, Happiness III, and Vermillioncore), 2 pieces of filler (Year of the Plague, Sunday Rain), and a remake of a song from Stupid Dream that I've always hated (Don't Hate Me) is kind of a waste if you're on a budget.

The ones I've purchased:

Thinking Plague and Big Big Train: Both excellent examples of their respective sounds.
    Glass Hammer: Worth a listen, but I wouldn't consider it a priority.
    Yes and Anderson/Stolt: Neither of these did much for me.

Have heard a few of these, have purchased none of them.

Save your money and wait for 2017 releases.

Thinking Plague and Glass Hammer. Leave the rest.

YoGo.....If I might suggest....

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post

New Neal Morse............................................. ............SKIP
    Yes .................................................. ........................SKIP
    New Thinking Plague (is this out yet?)...........................Priority #1
    Anderson/Stolt............................................. ..............SKIP
    Steve Wilson 4................................................. ..........SKIP
    Kansas............................................ ..........................SKIP
    Glass Hammer............................................ ................Priority #3
    Big Big Train............................................. ..................Priority #2

I need to budget, I cant get them all at once. What should come first?
    G.A.S -aholic

I loved the Thinking Plague music that I heard posted here, so I think its a must buy. I have heard some of their earlier stuff and found some of it interesting. I have a friend who is totally into thinking plague and so having one album to at least converse with him seems like a good thing. I do worry that I wont be that thrilled with the Steve Wilson and Yes Heaven and earth. The reasons being, a few years back I bought a Steve Wilson sight unheard, ("scarecrow" or something like that) listened to it once and have never gone back. Just a zero energy project. I was hoping there is more to Steves music than what I heard. The reason I'm considering H&E is that I have really enjoyed the Ladder and Fly from Here, where most people here seem to despise thise albums, and the same was said here about H&E. But if it cant even pull itself up to those, no reason to invest in it. Glass Hammer is pretty much an autobuy, just because they always seem to scratch my prog itch. Perhaps its the Rick Bass and strong keys. I always thought they should use me as their lead singer. Neal Morse, is the same, Spocks Beard or Solo, Neal may have the prog system down to a science, but... He has the prog system down to a science and I love it. Plus I like to hear Mike Portnoy again. Big Big Train is a relatively recent discovery for me, and I like everything Ive heard so far.

Andeson/Stolt is a gamble for me. I love Jons voice, but dont know about him without the support of the Yes Staff. I know nothing about Roine Stolte - Including how to pronounce his first name. Kansas Is definitely one of my lifelong loves, but I'm not sure about the new blood.

SW Raven album is what I bought before, and it was entirely too much work to extract any music from that album. I listened once and was so relieved to be done when it was over.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 03-09-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Clarifying SW album

Andeson/Stolt is a gamble for me. I love Jons voice, but dont know about him without the support of the Yes Staff. I know nothing about Roine Stolte - Including how to pronounce his first name.
    I was dissapointed with this album because i thought it was too much Jon and too little Roine. If you say you love Jons voice you will probably dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    If you say you love Jons voice you will probably dig it.
    I think so too. It's rather vocal-heavy overall, and it's arguably the most "proggy" thing J.A. has committed since the 70s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The new Kansas album is surprisingly good, IMO. The best thing they've done in ages. Rich Williams and Phil Ehart deserve kudos for carrying on when the others left.

Regarding Anderson/Stolt, have no fear. The supporting cast (Tom Brislin, Jonas Reingold, Lalle Larsson, Felix Lehrmann) are all excellent musicians in their respective projects, and they are on top of their game with Invention of Knowledge. I would've liked a bit more Stolt in the mix, but if you like Jon my advice is do not skip this one. Like Richard said, it's probably the proggiest thing Jon has done since the 70s.

I should also add, Jon still sounds great. His voice has changed (and why shouldn't it? He's not in his 20s/30s anymore), but for a man of 72 he still sounds energized. I was very pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by aith01; 03-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.

If you don't have any of the Wilson solo discography, I would definitely get "Grace for Drowning", "The Raven that Refused to Sing", and "Hand.Cannot.Erase"

I loved the Thinking Plague music that I heard posted here, so I think its a must buy. I have heard some of their earlier stuff and found some of it interesting. I have a friend who is totally into thinking plague and so having one album to at least converse with him seems like a good thing. I do worry that I wont be that thrilled with the Steve Wilson and Yes Heaven and earth. The reasons being, a few years back I bought a Steve Wilson sight unheard, ("scarecrow" or something like that) listened to it once and have never gone back. Just a zero energy project. I was hoping there is more to Steves music than what I heard. The reason I'm considering H&E is that I have really enjoyed the Ladder and Fly from Here, where most people here seem to despise thise albums, and the same was said here about H&E. But if it cant even pull itself up to those, no reason to invest in it. Glass Hammer is pretty much an autobuy, just because they always seem to scratch my prog itch. Perhaps its the Rick Bass and strong keys. I always thought they should use me as their lead singer. Neal Morse, is the same, Spocks Beard or Solo, Neal may have the prog system down to a science, but... He has the prog system down to a science and I love it. Plus I like to hear Mike Portnoy again. Big Big Train is a relatively recent discovery for me, and I like everything Ive heard so far.

Andeson/Stolt is a gamble for me. I love Jons voice, but dont know about him without the support of the Yes Staff. I know nothing about Roine Stolte - Including how to pronounce his first name. Kansas Is definitely one of my lifelong loves, but I'm not sure about the new blood.

I think the new Neal Morse Band album is outstanding... one winning track after another! New Glass Hammer also excellent. Haven't heard the new Thinking Plague yet but I will soon. The Anderson/Stolt album has its moments but somehow I'm not 'wowed' by it... a bit formless and could have been better considering the musicians. The Big Big Train album is actually the one that finally sold me on them after many failed attempts in the past. Great band!

Never listened to a Kansas album in my life. (ducks)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    [...] The Anderson/Stolt album has its moments but somehow I'm not 'wowed' by it... a bit formless and could have been better considering the musicians. [...]
    The comments about Invention of Knowledge as being "formless" are inaccurate IMO. The songs are basically through-composed pieces, not necessarily traditionally-structured, and even though a lot of passages are seldom repeated there are still recurring musical themes throughout.

The songs are also long, which means they can take a bit of time to fully absorb.

It's a different animal than, say, Close to the Edge or Topographic Oceans. However, I still think it's closer to the spirit of Yes than any of the stuff those guys have done in the last decade or so. For "Anderson/Stolt 2", I'd like to hear a little more Stolt, and maybe a little more instrumental passages, but those are minor quibbles really.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    However, I still think it's closer to the spirit of Yes than any of the stuff those guys have done in the last decade or so. For "Anderson/Stolt 2", I'd like to hear a little more Stolt, and maybe a little more instrumental passages, but those are minor quibbles really.
    Agreed. I'm also a fan of IoK, and would also enjoy less Anderson, more instrumental parts, and a little Stolt vox thrown into the mix. Looking forward to the next one!

OK so far I'm leaning towards, Kansas, GH, IofK, NealMorse, ThinkPlague. Thats about 100 bucks right? Thats pretty much my limit for one buy.