Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ERGO SUM - CHILE

ERGO SUM - CHILE

I have been going through my collection starting with A, and listening to music I have not listened to in some time, and in some cases I don't even remember what the band chosen sounds like.

In this endeavor, I came upon the two releases by Ergo Sum and I was pleasantly reminded why I bought them in the first place.

Vibes, horns, flute, and an occasional violin combines with some guitar solos (a bit heavy at times) Prog-folk-at times fusion with just a small dose of prog-metal.

Any other fans?

Any similar bands?

Played it a lot when I got the Musea-rerelease (early 90's). I believe I liked the Roger Chapman/Paul Williams (Tempest)/Joe Cocker-like vocals. The music had a slightly resemblance with Family and Traffic. In one track (Night Road) you can even hear a MOOG.
    My version from this 1971 was called Mexico b.t.w, so maybe we're speaking about different bands.

Really enjoy both albums. The band featured in DPRP's recent prog-flute special

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-063#12-ergosum

I think the Mexico album mentioned in the above post is by the other Ergo Sum mentioned in the review

^^I see....

They killed at Baja Prog when they played the main stage.

I bought one of their CD's and played the hell out of it. Haven't listened to it in years.

Time for a spin? I think so.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

really great Chilean band
    For my liking, perhaps the best from that country

I like the first album quite a bit more than the 2nd though...
    or vice versa... cant remember... should spin again
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    really great Chilean band
    For my liking, perhaps the best from that country

I like the first album quite a bit more than the 2nd though...
    or vice versa... cant remember... should spin again
    That's why I have been listening to "lost" music in my collection. Rediscovering gems like this on.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I have been going through my collection starting with A, and listening to music I have not listened to in some time, and in some cases I don't even remember what the band chosen sounds like.

In this endeavor, I came upon the two releases by Ergo Sum and I was pleasantly reminded why I bought them in the first place.

Vibes, horns, flute, and an occasional violin combines with some guitar solos (a bit heavy at times) Prog-folk-at times fusion with just a small dose of prog-metal.

Any other fans?

Any similar bands?
    Good call!.

Maybe:
    - Mar de Robles. (flute, Crimson and Tull; also saw then at Baja)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYc-BLi32tY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUCX7RJ1ZBI
    Last edited by TCC; 03-03-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Played it a lot when I got the Musea-rerelease (early 90's). I believe I liked the Roger Chapman/Paul Williams (Tempest)/Joe Cocker-like vocals. The music had a slightly resemblance with Family and Traffic. In one track (Night Road) you can even hear a MOOG.
    My version from this 1971 was called Mexico b.t.w, so maybe we're speaking about different bands.
    Yes,
    Another good album IMO!
    Ergo Sum - México (1971) (France)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bmomFH86Q

More:
    http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/ergosumfr.htm

Last edited by TCC; 03-03-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Forgot to mention from 2007:

- Efecto/Same.
    Efecto.jpg

I bought my copy from Mylodon Records some moons ago.
    http://www.mylodonrecords.com/index....d=9&Itemid=111
    Syn Phonic seems to have it:
    http://synphonicmusic.com/country/chile.html

"EFECTO - Brilliant prog mixed with a bit of fusion with great synths & vibraphone that brings to mind Pierre Moerlen’s Gong. Essential!"

(Can`t find anythig at YT!)
    Last edited by TCC; 03-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Mar de Robles
    First that came to mind here as well; their second album is particularly good - like a South-American Crims/Tull reborn as "ethnic" jamband! Great stuff.

But there were really so many fine bands coming out of Chile at that point; Exsimio, Sarax, Fulano, Tryo, Akineton Retard, MediaBanda... Need one say more? They even had a couple of excellent prog-metal acts going, like Entrance and the amazing Matraz.

What's really striking about most of the Chilean progressive bands of the 2000s is that although their various approaches are well established internationally, they always come up with something rather personal or idiosyncratic. And apparently there was quite an audience as well, as some of them seem to have gigged more or less regularly. It's been years since I last heard much about that scene, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    First that came to mind here as well; their second album is particularly good - like a South-American Crims/Tull reborn as "ethnic" jamband! Great stuff.

But there were really so many fine bands coming out of Chile at that point; Exsimio, Sarax, Fulano, Tryo, Akineton Retard, MediaBanda... Need one say more? They even had a couple of excellent prog-metal acts going, like Entrance and the amazing Matraz.

What's really striking about most of the Chilean progressive bands of the 2000s is that although their various approaches are well established internationally, they always come up with something rather personal or idiosyncratic. And apparently there was quite an audience as well, as some of them seem to have gigged more or less regularly. It's been years since I last heard much about that scene, though.
    Agreed. There was quite a good number of quality albums coming out of Chile throughout the 2000s. I have one of the Ergo Sum albums, and it's quite good. Mar De Robles does indeed rise to the top, and both their albums are exceptional. Perhaps my favorite was the symphonic space rock band with the fetching name of R-U Kaiser (album titled Ocelos and released in 2007). Unfortunate it was so obscure.

There seems to be a lot of hero worship in Chile towards King Crimson i've found, and that's a good thing. The heaviness with flute certainly describes some bands mentioned already like Exsimio and Mar De Robles, the latter is probably my favourite from that country. Love Fulano too but for the jazzy sounds and insane vocals as well as Akineton Retard which is for those who are more into experimental music.
    I spent several months tracking down bands from Chile some time ago and it was very rewarding.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Agree!!.
    Really good albums coming out not just from Chile but also from Argentina and Brasil and still in these days, less, but good records IMO.

Tom,
    Good call:
    Love it too!!.
    Highest recommendations!

R-U KAISER - Ocelos ****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0s...WD0H_AkERiavmP

Year:2006.
    A presentation just before they recorded Ocelos`album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJIqJV4E5w

Enjoy!!.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-12-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I have to agree with TCCthat
    Agree!!.
    Really good albums coming out not just from Chile but also from Argentina and Brasil and still in these days, less, but good records IMO.
    I love good music from South America.
    I have pretty good collection on my hard drive.
    Last edited by dannyw09; 07-23-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Agree!!.

Tom,
    Good call:
    Love it too!!.
    Highest recommendations!

R-U KAISER - Ocelos ****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0s...WD0H_AkERiavmP

Year:2006.
    A presentation just before they recorded Ocelos`album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJIqJV4E5w

Enjoy!!.
    Glad you liked it! Too bad they were one and done. Not a lot of bands have that sound.

I've come to like Estigma also.

I have a pretty big collection of South American releases. Many bands seem to have songs that don't all sound the same, many different elements and styles on many of the albums.

Agree with R-U Kaiser

Just got back and listened to Ergo Sum again.

Still

Banned
    Looked this band up and they do appear to be interesting and different, combining heavier guitar passages with loads of flute and an ethnic feel. Will need to go for their first release and see what all the enthusiasm is about.

Thanks for the re-reminder!

Iluvatar
    I thought R-U Kaiser was from Peru??? I think Fleur de Loto was from Chile or perhaps Bolivia?

Subject of a future post. Latin America has been kicking some serious boot in the past 2 decades! For sure.

Iluvatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Agreed. There was quite a good number of quality albums coming out of Chile throughout the 2000s. I have one of the Ergo Sum albums, and it's quite good. Mar De Robles does indeed rise to the top, and both their albums are exceptional. Perhaps my favorite was the symphonic space rock band with the fetching name of R-U Kaiser (album titled Ocelos and released in 2007). Unfortunate it was so obscure.
    Symphonic? Did not find them that way - straight MOR Prog, but wha'ever - they are good (a great synth does not make Symphonic), and after they get to about 6,000 RPM, the synth grinds like crazy. I guess I just don't get sub-genres... (Sigh)

Iluvatar
    That whole album kicks! Love that song. At the end of the song the synth gets very serious/

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
    I thought R-U Kaiser was from Peru??? I think Fleur de Loto was from Chile or perhaps Bolivia?

Subject of a future post. Latin America has been kicking some serious boot in the past 2 decades! For sure.
    Hello Iluvatar.
    R-U Kaiser is from Chile and Flor de Loto is from Perù.

Pura vida.

Mar de Robles
    The second Mar de Robles release, Indigena from 2008 IIRC, is excellent.

Ergo Sum are alright, especially Mixolidio.

Marvellous modern progressive from Chile, for me, would be Matraz (innovative merger of vocal prog-metal and tech-fusion), Exsimio (math-rock meets aggressive recitations and an "ethnic" variation on late-90s KCrims), Sarax, Tryo, some of Entrance (prog-metal again, but more eclectic than anything usual from that field), and the genuinely fantastic Dinero y Terminación Nerviosa by MediaBanda, who were the offspring of the semi-legendary Fulano, who's own Trabajos Inutiles is fabulous as well.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Played it a lot when I got the Musea-rerelease (early 90's). I believe I liked the Roger Chapman/Paul Williams (Tempest)/Joe Cocker-like vocals. The music had a slightly resemblance with Family and Traffic.
    A completely other Ergo Sum, of course, but still a very worthy historical artifact. They belonged to that pre-Ange branch of vintage French progressive which wasn't as acidic as Ame Son or Fille Qui Mousse but neither as experimental/fringe as Magma and the underground with Moving Gelatine Plates and Komintern. if you enjoy the Ergo Sum there'd probably be joy to hear from acts like Alice, Triangle (first album) and Martin Circus as well. Strange to take in "anglophonic" French countercultural rock, though. They somehow couldn't help but be relatively idiosyncratic all the same.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I liked them at BajaProg and still really enjoy Mixolidio! --Peter