Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Scofield

What is jazz (we will never agree )?
    In my book DiMeola, Beck, Herring, Ford, Metheny, Holdsworth, a.o, are not jazz guitarists but fusion guitarists. McLaughlin and Coryell can do both, but fusion is their core competence, and jazz buffs usually prefers other guitarists.
    Scofield can do fusion, blues & rock, funk, but jazz is where his heart is.

Metheny is very deeply rooted in the jazz tradition. He uses the vocabulary, and he knows and plays the standards and modern jazz repertoire in addition to his own compositions. I consider Holdsworth a jazz player too, even if he uses a rock guitar sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Arbitrary divisions, impossible to define with any precision. Meaningless distinctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    What is jazz (we will never agree )?
    In my book DiMeola, Beck, Herring, Ford, Metheny, Holdsworth, a.o, are not jazz guitarists but fusion guitarists. McLaughlin and Coryell can do both, but fusion is their core competence, and jazz buffs usually prefers other guitarists.
    We can't even agree on what is prog and this is a prog board lol. So I'm pretty sure we could argue all day on what jazz, blues and rock are and are not. Meanwhile check this out - its called music

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Thanks, Cone! That's what I was trying to express.
    Man, if we lived near each other, I have a feeling we'd be hanging......hitting the same shows....etc.

In other words-my pleasure!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Don't assume I'm not a jazz fan (and your comment had more than an element of 'jazz snob' about it in your condescension towards 'rock fans'). I am, and I still don't find what I've heard of Schofield's jazz output to be all that impressive, especially compared with the likes of Coryell, Di Meola, McLaughlin, etc. I have also heard his work with Billy Cobham, and again, all of etc....)

Dude, it's "Scofield." No H. You jazz fan, you.

...also, Pat Metheny is most certainly a Jazz player. I'm not sure about Holdsworth, one of my favorite musicians ever--I hear contemporary classical music, a very "English" melancholy, and lots of rawk as well as generous helpings of Coltrane. But Pat, yeah---clear links to Wes, Jim Hall, and the lineage, even when he's playing his epic "travelogue" compositions or the Americana/Jazz from his earlier albums.

I don't listen to Sco very much anymore, but I dig that muthatucka. I had 'Still Warm' on cassette (remember those?) and I played the plastic of the spinning reels I played it so much. Not sure if its a great album or not, but it is for me since I knew it so well. Great ideas in this cats head - a very creative player imo.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Man, if we lived near each other, I have a feeling we'd be hanging......hitting the same shows....etc.
    We did that 30 years ago without knowing it! Holdworth/Corea in Syracuse.

Pat Metheny is a jazz guitarist.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    We can't even agree on what is prog and this is a prog board lol. So I'm pretty sure we could argue all day on what jazz, blues and rock are and are not.
    It's not the same argument. There is no specific prog musical vocabulary. But there are specific elements to the other styles that can be identified. They speak the language!

Last edited by Reid; 03-04-2017 at 02:47 AM.

We did that 30 years ago without knowing it! Holdworth/Corea in Syracuse.
    YEah, I forgot about that discussion we had! Well, we should do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    YEah, I forgot about that discussion we had! Well, we should do it again!
    I need to leave Syracuse. Absolutely nothing happening here.

I need to leave Syracuse. Absolutely nothing happening here.
    Same is true about anything in NY above Riverdale! It's all dead culturally. New York - still as bottom heavy as ever.

Scofield has never played Syracuse, and he lives in Westchester County. Everybody plays Philly, NYC, Boston, Albany, and then on to Buffalo or Chicago. Alto saxophonist Tim Berne told me he's never been asked to play Syracuse, and this is his hometown. Pretty sad.

Scofield has never played Syracuse, and he lives in Westchester County. Everybody plays Philly, NYC, Boston, Albany, and then on to Buffalo or Chicago. Alto saxophonist Tim Berne told me he's never been asked to play Syracuse, and this is his hometown. Pretty sad.
    It's tough up there in what is essentially suburban Canadia (pretty much the upper third of NY). And I can tell you that even Westchester County is dead (anything north of the Bronx is). Surprised Sco doesn't still live in CT (where he was born). He used to be a next door neighbor of Alan Arkin. Tons of jazzers live in Westchester. Abercrombie lives in Putnam. Used to run into him all the time.

Maybe he's back in CT. I don't know? He's had a rough few years losing his son to cancer. I don't ever expect to see him play. Especially at this stage of his career. He can play all the big markets and nice European cities and festivals.

Maybe he's back in CT. I don't know? He's had a rough few years losing his son to cancer. I don't ever expect to see him play. Especially at this stage of his career. He can play all the big markets and nice European cities and festivals.
    I'm sometimes surprised that ALL of the jazz community doesn't pick up and move to Europe, as this American art form is still much more respected there (as has pretty much been the case since the 40s or 50s).

Many do spend most of their time working Europe. I should get my butt over there because one of my good friends lives in Amsterdam. He left the US in 2005.

Many do spend most of their time working Europe. I should get my butt over there because one of my good friends lives in Amsterdam. He left the US in 2005.
    Coppin' Haven is still the place to go for great live jazz. (Little known fact - Metallica's cruddy drummer is the godson of Dexter Gordon). Jazz here in the States has turned into something people get into when they want to be seen as hip. That's the majority of the fan base. Now, everybody's into Miles' electric period, for instance. And of course, all the hipsters wearing wool hats and living in Park Slope get a ton of attention. Hardly a jumping off point for making jazz America's pop music again.

I wanna see Pierre Dorge & New Jungle Orchestra. They came here and played Rochester, but I couldn't make it there that night. What a bummer!

I wanna see Pierre Dorge & New Jungle Orchestra. They came here and played Rochester, but I couldn't make it there that night. What a bummer!
    They are great! These days, all the rage seems to be bearing witness to some of Evan Parker's last cries. LOL. Truthfully, there are more great musicians today than ever before, but the entertainment buck can only get stretched so far. Given the way things are, if I were talented enough to be a musician, there's no way in hell I'd do it professionally. These guys need to bust their butts, always hustling and now doing things like running their own labels. I don't think someone like Dave Douglas has sat down for the last 20 years

The level that these prog and jazz musicians play at is astounding, and they receive so little compensation. It's a drag.