Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2018 (Feb 3-8)

no ARW?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    no ARW?
    AWWWWWW......

Latest Additions to the 2018 line-up are:

Baraka
    Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy
    IO Earth
    Bad Dreams
    Stickmen (with David Cross)
    Adrian Belew Power Trio
    and "a new super group" involving Mike Portnoy & Derek Sherinian

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    no ARW?
    They will have their own "Cruise to the Edge Featuring....":

Yes featuring ARW
    Asia featuring John Payne
    Martin Turner plays the music of Wishbone Ash
    Nik Turner's Hawkwind
    Mickey Thomas' Starship
    with special guests Dennis DeYoung and Rodger Hodgson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post

Baraka
    Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy
    IO Earth
    Bad Dreams
    Adrian Belew Power Trio
    and "a new super group" involving Mike Portnoy & Derek Sherinian
    I know I've said this before, but what's the point of having bands repeat year after year? I don't understand the people who must have, for example, IO Earth each time.

I wonder if YES knew they were going to knock out some prog festivals by doing this every year....

It's very cliquish (sp?) and I don't get it either. The FB page is chock full of people mainly cheerleading the same 10 bands. It's practically impenetrable and unclear how to officially submit one's band for consideration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    First rule of Cruise To The Edge, no one talks about CTTE.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I know I've said this before, but what's the point of having bands repeat year after year? I don't understand the people who must have, for example, IO Earth each time.
    I get it - for a lot of people who go it is about seeing bands they like and who they've become friendly with to some degree. It helps if those bands are ones you want to see. If cash wasn't a concern, I'd be cool with going again, but after doing three there are so few first timers, or really - bands that don't play in the US - that I can't justify it again. It is too bad because I really liked the extra day the first year since it spread things out and made it feel less rushed. I would have gone if my roommate was up to it, but with mostly returners being announced still, I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger. While we both do fine financially, compared to many/most of the regulars we are way down the financial spectrum so we can't go simply to "spend time with friends" and sort of watch some shows. A lot of the people who put out the big bucks for the expensive rooms are on board as much to see their friends as they are to catch as much music as possible. They'll eventually sell the lower priced rooms without us, so getting the core of returners back seems to be their highest priority, which means a bunch of returning bands that check off the boxes for them, along with rotating some others in.

I get it, but it just didn't work for me to go this time. However, had I not gone the last three or if I had a lot more extra money lying around, I think this would still appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post

David Cross is on my bucket list, but I'd rather see him perform with his band. If he is announced as a solo artist I just might fork over my hard earned $$$ for this.
    (Maybe he'll have some states dates to coincide with this.)
    Obviously with Ade also aboard there has to be a King Crimson jam, right? Levin, P@t, Belew, Cross....
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The expensive suites I really don't get. If I was going to lay out that kind of money I'd much rather go to Europe or something.

Same here, though I think for some it is one more level of access. "Hey (insert musician here), swing by my suite -I've got drinks and food stocked. Just depends what you can afford and what you want. I'd have to have a ridiculous amount of money to spend it that way.

The expensive suites I really don't get. If I was going to lay out that kind of money I'd much rather go to Europe or something.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Tough decision. Who's playing in Euro at the time V.S. who's on board... my first cruise to the edge, all the bands are 'new' to me, so repeating shows no prob... Yeah,rooms are $$$$$...

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too. Tough decision. Who's playing in Euro at the time V.S. who's on board... my first cruise to the edge, all the bands are 'new' to me, so repeating shows no prob... Yeah,rooms are $$$$$...
    I didn't mean vs. bands playing in Europe but just European travel vs spending that much to be on a cruise ship.

The expensive suites I really don't get..
    The five minute songs are cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    They've already indicated Yes will be involved and have hinted at Portnoy/Morse involvement as well. And, Yes members said they would be back while on the boat.

I'd need some new blood to go again. I really like the experience, but as it is only one year (instead of 15-18 months) apart and it is hardly cheap, I don't think I will be able to do it without some sort of serious surprise. Hopefully, something will come up, but I'm not sure what that would be at this point. My roommate is even more on the no side of the fence than I am, but I simply can't justify it unless something I can't see elsewhere, and haven't seen before, is added.
    I agree...need new names to nudge previous cruisers. I wonder if KYROS is available?

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Same here, though I think for some it is one more level of access. "Hey (insert musician here), swing by my suite -I've got drinks and food stocked. Just depends what you can afford and what you want. I'd have to have a ridiculous amount of money to spend it that way.
    I even know of one "artist" who is such a fanboy that he spends a considerable amount of time taking selfies with other artists.

We usually stay in steerage with Jack Dawson, considering the amount of shows and meals the only thing we do in our cabin is sleep. If we want to look at the ocean it's very difficult not to, we're on a ship, I also cannot understand spending two and three times what we do for a swanky place to rest your head, it doesn't know the difference. Different priorities I suppose (shrug).

Hey -- I bet you can get Spacerockmanifesto to play for a reasonable price !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET THE BIDDING BEGIN....
    Last edited by tom unbound; 04-25-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: FORGOT BIRTHDAY

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    We usually stay in steerage with Jack Dawson, considering the amount of shows and meals the only thing we do in our cabin is sleep. If we want to look at the ocean it's very difficult not to, we're on a ship, I also cannot understand spending two and three times what we do for a swanky place to rest your head, it doesn't know the difference. Different priorities I suppose (shrug).
    That is true to some degree. The first year our room had 4 bunks, toilet and shower. It served the purpose. The 2nd year my buddy splurged for the upgrade, with a Balcony, 3 large beds, larger bathroom, on-ship TV. It was nicer, more comfortable without a doubt. Its pretty simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    That is true to some degree. The first year our room had 4 bunks, toilet and shower. It served the purpose. The 2nd year my buddy splurged for the upgrade, with a Balcony, 3 large beds, larger bathroom, on-ship TV. It was nicer, more comfortable without a doubt. Its pretty simple...
    Our cheapo room came with 2 large beds put together, small bathroom (big enough for one person at a time), a TV, etc. It's like a nice small hotel room. As far as a balcony you can sit pretty much anywhere on the ship with the same view, I'm not convinced the extra expenditure is worth it. It comes down to priorities, could I afford it? Yes. Do I feel the $ could be put to better use elsewhere? Also yes, there's no right or wrong answer. Music cruises are more expensive than regular ones (musicians gotta eat) so the price of admission is already steep to begin with as far as I'm concerned, and why going low end is fine by me (not to mention my wife would kill me, but that's another story).

They just announced Steve Hackett -- again! I just saw him on CTTE a few months ago, and have now seen him enough for while. Friggin CTTE -- no one needs to see the same artists over and over! Certainly not a draw for me as great as he is.

Of course, they could announce that King Crimson was playing on CTTE 2018 and I still wouldn't go because I'm well decided I've had enough of CTTE.

They just announced Steve Hackett -- again! I just saw him on CTTE a few months ago, and have now seen him enough for while. Friggin CTTE -- no one needs to see the same artists over and over! Certainly not a draw for me as great as he is.

Of course, they could announce that King Crimson was playing on CTTE 2018 and I still wouldn't go because I'm well decided I've had enough of CTTE.
    I decided to go this year to see Knifeworld. However, at more than $2000CAD, i feel it's an excessive amount to see 1 band and I wont be going. I'm sure Knifeworld will play other shows while they are on this side of the pond.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I decided to go this year to see Knifeworld. However, at more than $2000CAD, i feel it's an excessive amount to see 1 band and I wont be going. I'm sure Knifeworld will play other shows while they are on this side of the pond.
    I've given my reasons for not going, but one I feel sort of compelled to mention again is that the food on the ship SUCKED, and it's going to be the same ship!

Wow. I've never been on a cruise where the food was anything less than outstanding.