Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Progstock!?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wasn't one of Farfests issues that they didn't go broad communication until much too late? Certainly need to get the word out as broadly as possible as early as possible.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Where was FarFest going to be? Pittsburgh or something? I bought a ticket but can't remember.

BTW, remember that Progstock is being crowdfunded. If they don't raise enough during the funding phase they wouldn't go ahead with it, as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wasn't one of Farfests issues that they didn't go broad communication until much too late? Certainly need to get the word out as broadly as possible as early as possible.
    Well, I would certainly say that that was the case.

They counted on PE to fill the auditorium.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Where was FarFest going to be? Pittsburgh or something? I bought a ticket but can't remember.
    I think it was going to be in Wilmington Delaware. I have my ticket somewhere. I'm still sad that didn't happen.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think it was going to be in Wilmington Delaware. I have my ticket somewhere. I'm still sad that didn't happen.

Bill
    Farfest had an amazing line up.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Farfest had an amazing line up.
    Yep. It's failure was a graphic indicator of how out-of-step with the current Prog-Rock fanbase I am.

[So theoretically this band can fill up a theater with all their fans but the problem is, they're scattered all around the world]

I would have to agree. I remember seeing Echolyn in Philly about maybe ten years ago and probably most people there were local but the thing is there were only about fifty people there. Where was everyone? I know if it was at a different venue or part of a fest a lot more people would show up to see them but in Philly they sort of blend in with all the other local bands even though they are pretty well known in prog circles around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I always say this. With the internet, any band that records can find an audience with proper promotion and networking. And that band can become pretty well known in the musical pond they choose to swim in. Downside is, that band usually isn't really doing the old school stuff of building a local fan base. So theoretically this band can fill up a theater with all their fans but the problem is, they're scattered all around the world.

Anyway, what's interesting is that the 2 NJ bands on the bill (us and The Tea Club) have the #4 and #5 albums of 2015 at Progarchives.com right behind much better known bands. FYI, I "stand up for" PA because it is really the only "living" rating/review system (besides Rateyourmusic.com which isn't only progressive rock) and until someone thinks of something better, it's all we've got as a yardstick. Both bands have also been at it for a decade or so pretty relentlessly. So what some of the "undercard" bands may lack in overall following make up in apparent voracity.
    So how's that working out for you and The Tea Club?

Fan polls on websites are certainly an ego massage but how effective are you at monetizing that and also expanding your fanbase? That's the key and its not easy.

It would be disappointing if the promoters of the festival fall into the trap that Ohioprog and Farfest, et al fell into. Don't believe the huzzahs of the minority. Relying on the fact that the location is in proximity to NYC won't help. Ask Jim and Ray about their cancelled NJ Homecoming festival. Progstock has a homogeneous but quality filled lineup but there are no magnet bands so filling a 1300 seat venue is going to be an impossible task. Scheduling so close to the Chicago festival and sharing bands with them makes it even harder. The promoters will have to invest a significant amount of financial resources to get the word out. Relying on Progressive Ears and ProgArchives isn't going to get the job done. I hope they have significant social media skills and it all turns out for the best.

The lineup looks great, but I might have to choose between Progtoberfest and Progstock. There actually some bands in common between them also.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, remember that Progstock is being crowdfunded. If they don't raise enough during the funding phase they wouldn't go ahead with it, as I understand.
    That's good. I think that was one of the downfalls for Farfest. Had they considered crowdfunding it might have taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That's good. I think that was one of the downfalls for Farfest. Had they considered crowdfunding it might have taken off.
    Except that OhioProg didn't happen and it was crowdfunded.

FarFest was proof that you could have an amazing once-in-a-lifetime lineup and still come up short. As amazing as the lineup was, it was still a niche within a niche and the "community" couldn't save it.

It was also anecdotal evidence of the hurdles that homogeneous (as Ken put it) events face when marketing to the prog rock community. Where were all RosFest and former NF attendees to save FarFest?

Proof again (as Ken and Steve put it) that all the "huzzahs" and Facebook likes don't put butts into seats. And to the organizers and supporters, let's not confuse their warnings and criticisms with not being supportive. Call it "tough love" or pragmatism, but you have to be realistic with this kind of endeavor.

All you have to do is recall the canceled NEARFest to see just how delicate, fractured, and finicky this fan base can be.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    So how's that working out for you and The Tea Club?

Fan polls on websites are certainly an ego massage but how effective are you at monetizing that and also expanding your fanbase? That's the key and its not easy.

It would be disappointing if the promoters of the festival fall into the trap that Ohioprog and Farfest, et al fell into. Don't believe the huzzahs of the minority. Relying on the fact that the location is in proximity to NYC won't help. Ask Jim and Ray about their cancelled NJ Homecoming festival. Progstock has a homogeneous but quality filled lineup but there are no magnet bands so filling a 1300 seat venue is going to be an impossible task. Scheduling so close to the Chicago festival and sharing bands with them makes it even harder. The promoters will have to invest a significant amount of financial resources to get the word out. Relying on Progressive Ears and ProgArchives isn't going to get the job done. I hope they have significant social media skills and it all turns out for the best.
    That's about it! I don't recall any prog event that filled 1300 seats. A line up of also rans would be lucky to fill a 3-500 seat venue. The internet has always been guilty of providing a false sense of enthusiasm or reality.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    That's about it! I don't recall any prog event that filled 1300 seats. A line up of also rans would be lucky to fill a 3-500 seat venue. The internet has always been guilty of providing a false sense of enthusiasm or reality.
    Hurray for Dave!!!!!!!!!

Maybe they're using the Fazioli room?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I don't recall any prog event that filled 1300 seats.
    NEARfest sold out 1,850 seats in Trenton twice (2002 and 2003).

And here are the lineups from those two years...

NEARfest 2002

Day 1 - Saturday, June 29, 2002

La Torre dell’Alchimista (Italy)
    Miriodor (Canada)
    Isildurs Bane (Sweden)
    echolyn (United States)
    Nektar (England, United States)

Day 2 - Sunday, June 30, 2002

Spaced Out (Canada)
    Gerard (Japan)
    Enchant (United States)
    Caravan (England)
    Steve Hackett (England)

NEARfest 2003

Day 1 - Saturday, June 28, 2003

High Wheel (Germany)
    Alamaailman Vasarat (Finland)
    Tunnels (United States, England)
    The Flower Kings (Sweden)
    Magma (France)

Day 2 - Sunday, June 29, 2003

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (United States)
    Glass Hammer (United States)
    Kraan (Germany)
    Änglagård (Sweden)
    Camel (England)
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

NEARfest 2002

Day 1 - Saturday, June 29, 2002

La Torre dell’Alchimista (Italy)
    Miriodor (Canada)
    Isildurs Bane (Sweden)
    echolyn (United States)
    Nektar (England, United States)

Day 2 - Sunday, June 30, 2002

Spaced Out (Canada)
    Gerard (Japan)
    Enchant (United States)
    Caravan (England)
    Steve Hackett (England)

NEARfest 2003

Day 1 - Saturday, June 28, 2003

High Wheel (Germany)
    Alamaailman Vasarat (Finland)
    Tunnels (United States, England)
    The Flower Kings (Sweden)
    Magma (France)

Day 2 - Sunday, June 29, 2003

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (United States)
    Glass Hammer (United States)
    Kraan (Germany)
    Änglagård (Sweden)
    Camel (England)
    OK Chad, my memory is not what it was...but not exactly a bunch of also rans. However, I do remember the boxed lunches and the drug dealers. The halcyon days of the prog revival.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

[FarFest was proof that you could have an amazing once-in-a-lifetime lineup and still come up short. As amazing as the lineup was, it was still a niche within a niche and the "community" couldn't save it. ]

I agree for the most part. Farfest was mostly lesser known seventies bands and with some exceptions maybe they tend not to be as well known or promoted as much as the more prominent newer bands imo. It's still possible the festival could have broke even with proper crowdfunding but we'll never know. Just out of curiosity who were some of the bands who were supposed to play at OhioProg?
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post

Your list explains the success quite blatantly - more or less.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity who were some of the bands who were supposed to play at OhioProg?
    https://www.last.fm/festival/2082839...+Rock+Festival
    Chad

Farfest was mostly lesser known seventies bands and with some exceptions maybe they tend not to be as well known or promoted as much as even the lesser known newer bands imo.
    Dear lord. Really? You really want to argue that the bands below are less well known than lesser known newer bands, [NONE of whom I want to list by name because my purpose is not in trying to be mean to any band participating in this or any other festival, but to show how unaware you are of the real world]

Many of bands below have had their albums reissued multiple, multiple times. Some have sold shockingly large numbers.

Alphataurus (Italy)
    Anekdoten (Sweden)
    Atoll (France)
    Cressida (U.K.)
    Latte E Miele (Italy)
    Locanda Delle Fate (Italy)
    Maxophone (Italy)
    Pulsar (France)
    SBB (Poland)
    Shylock (France)
    Wobbler (Norway)
    Last edited by Steve F.; 03-09-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Thanks Chad. Not a bad lineup and a shame it didn't happen.

Mike

You really shoot from the hip a lot when you talk about who is known or not known on this board. I've seen you do it over and over again. Most famously when you tried to state that some nothing band was better known than Harmonium in Canada.

You have no sense of the history of this music and you need to separate what you like from what reality is. They aren't necessarily the same thing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Steve, I really couldn't care less what you think.
    and that changes nothing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    FarFest was proof that you could have an amazing once-in-a-lifetime lineup and still come up short. As amazing as the lineup was, it was still a niche within a niche and the "community" couldn't save it.
    Among all the other reasons that others have stated (why it didn't succeed), Farfest also did not have that "angel" willing to put money upfront to get the ball going. That said, I still don't think it would have succeeded financially, because it was by its very nature a very expensive proposition.

Has any festival been successfully crowdfunded?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"