Thread: Progstock!?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's not in NYC, it's in NJ! A big difference!
    To satisfy Sgt. Jed of the ambiguity police, I have edited my post above.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, Michel did 14 one year at RIO with 2 stages and it was a couple of bands too many.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was thinking, that with that many artists, over three days, the change over times will have to be very tight. Knowing what is involved, it's gonna be rough.

There's probably a big difference between a fest in Chicago and one in NJ, location wise.
    About 800 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You just got 'ambiguity' tatooed on your arm??

Because of Jed??

Geezer! He isn't worth that!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevfeeley View Post
    I was thinking, that with that many artists, over three days, the change over times will have to be very tight. Knowing what is involved, it's gonna be rough.
    No Banco or Jobson, so that's a plus. Actually, I think it's going to be impossible unless they're planning extremely long days. Maybe trying to find a venue with a 2 am curfew?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It seems like a shame to have this a situation where people will have to choose between this festival and Progtoberfest. Having them so close together is not helpful to either festival.
    The only advantage is that there are a few acts playing both festivals which is probably a factor in them being able to afford to come across the pond, but yea not sure that the prog world is big enough to support two festivals within a week of each other. Of course these are only a little over a month after ProgDay as well. It will be interesting…….

I really don't see the big deal with the time proximity to Progtoberfest in Chicago. My guess is that might mean 10-20 less people at Progtoberfest maximum. ProgDay will have its core audience, and different bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You just got 'ambiguity' tatooed on your arm??

Because of Jed??

Geezer! He isn't worth that!

Almost spit up a piece of a potato knish I was chewing on (indulging myself in my old age by having them shipped from Bklyn).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Bands playing both festivals is good, but there is a cost for the days between, as well as travel. Unless they can pick up dates in between, NJPH, Orion?

[QUOTE=DrGoon;673203]No Banco or Jobson, so that's a plus. Actually, I think it's going to be impossible unless they're planning extremely long days. Maybe trying to find a venue with a 2 am curfew?[/QUOT
    How long are the sets? And how long is given to changeover? It seems tight even with a 2:AM curfew. And what happens when the first thing goes wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    I really don't see the big deal with the time proximity to Progtoberfest in Chicago. My guess is that might mean 10-20 less people at Progtoberfest maximum. ProgDay will have its core audience, and different bands.
    True, although Progtoberfest is far from huge, so 20 people could make a difference. There have been years when 20 people (approx $2000 dollars) was the difference between ProgDay breaking even or not.

It seems like a pretty good lineup with a lot of different bands but aside from possibly Echolyn I don't really remember seeing any attention grabbing headliner worthy band mentioned.

Edit: Ok, I just watched part of the trailer again and I stand corrected(sort of). There does seem to be some pretty well known modern prog bands(other than Echolyn)such as GH and the Tangent but still I don't know if there are any that would make it appealing to those who aren't already going to Rosfest (or the aforementioned progtoberfest which I admittedly don't know much about). The fact that it will be in NJ is a good thing though since you possibly get people who don't want to drive out to Rosfest.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-25-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Best thing for festivals nowadays (and maybe always) is to budget for regional draw and appeal.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

There's probably a big difference between a fest in Chicago and one in NJ, location wise.
    Depends where you are located. To me, coming from Toronto, the drive is very similar. And if you are flying in from somewhere else, I'd say it's six-of-one, and a half-dozen of the other.

neil

OK....some responses...

There will be ONE stage....along with afterhours at the host hotel.

There seems to be some concern about the number of acts, but because of they way it is being structured, this should not be a problem. For example, Rachel Flowers, Francis Dunnery and Peter Jones will share the stage to open the festival on Friday night as a triad. It will be a full two-hour set with the performers going back and forth between them performing their own music, sometimes with accompaniment from the others, sometimes not. There will also be ample opportunity in the set for them to play together. THEY are going to arrange this and we trust these three tremendous musicians to do this. We are in good hands.

One other band, EchoTest, will be playing at the host hotel on Friday night, not the theater stage.

Rani Chatoorgoon and Jason Rubenstein will play acoustic sets, as well as some other artists to be announced at the host hotel on Saturday night as part of The Progressive Coffeehouse Live and In-Person, which is a real live incarnation of The Progressive Coffeehouse on The House of Prog that airs every other month as part of The Waiting Room. We already know that Peter Jones will also be performing at The Coffeehouse. Just you try and stop him.

So when you take those things into consideration, there are not too many bands. Randy McStine's Kevin Gilbert Retrospective is going to be incredible as well. He is putting together a sensational band to make this happen.

Stay tuned folks. If you have questions, we would be glad to answer them!!!

--Doc
    Last edited by TheProgDoctor; 02-25-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Hey, it's just that I'd be glad if it was in NYC! What if it's in Cape May?

Quote Originally Posted by TheProgDoctor View Post
    OK....some responses...

There will be ONE stage....along with afterhours at the host hotel.

There seems to be some concern about the number of acts, but because of they way it is being structured, this should not be a problem. For example, Rachel Flowers, Francis Dunnery and Peter Jones will share the stage to open the festival on Friday night as a triad. It will be a full two-hour set with the performers going back and forth between them performing their own music, sometimes with accompaniment from the others, sometimes not. There will also be ample opportunity in the set for them to play together. THEY are going to arrange this and we trust these three tremendous musicians to do this. We are in good hands.

One other band, EchoTest, will be playing at the host hotel on Friday night, not the theater stage.

Rani Chatoorgoon and Jason Rubenstein will play acoustic sets, as well as some other artists to be announced at the host hotel on Saturday night as part of The Progressive Coffeehouse Live and In-Person, which is a real live incarnation of The Progressive Coffeehouse on The House of Prog that airs every other month as part of The Waiting Room. We already know that Peter Jones will also be performing at The Coffeehouse. Just you try and stop him.

So when you take those things into consideration, there are not too many bands. Randy McStine's Kevin Gilbert Retrospective is going to be incredible as well. He is putting together a sesational band to make this happen.

Stay tuned folks. If you have questions, we would be glad to answer them!!!

--Doc
    Marty, do you have any idea when you'll have a venue picked out? Do you have any idea yet if you plan to be closer to NYC, Philly, etc?

What is the day by day schedule?

OK....clarification....NORTH Jersey...we have several possible venues. We are taking a little extra time to make sure we pick the right one. It won't be very long until we make the venue known. Hold tight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProgDoctor View Post
    OK....clarification....NORTH Jersey...we have several possible venues. We are taking a little extra time to make sure we pick the right one. It won't be very long until we make the venue known. Hold tight.
    Cool!

Rachel Flowers ( not really hip to her)
    What the?!

DF.....you hold him...I'll slap the hell outta him.

Got him!

I want in on that action!!!