www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love accordions
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"And now we present Myron Floren. A one and a two and a ........"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "And now we present Myron Floren. A one and a two and a ........"
    Geezer misses those champagne bubbles.

Is this slow release of detail being done purposely to try and create more buzz or simply due to the fact that they haven't planned things out in advance? Not sure if the 3 day festival is something I need to attend these days but knowing the cost would make the decision for me. I went to almost every Nearfest and not much else back in those days. I probably spent somewhere around $1,000 each year between tickets, hotel, food, travel and CD's. Today, for an investment of $25-$75 and 2-3 hours each, I have more choices nearer to home to scratch that live music itch, with prog artists playing at the corner bar and in Ridgefield CT such as Belew, Hackett, Carl Palmer, Neal Morse, Stick Men, Security Project.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The nice thing about ProgDay, for me, is that the dealers tent is pretty modest. Aside from buying a few CDs by the bands performing, there's little to tempt me.

The vendor rooms at Nearfest were dangerous for sure. I always played a failing game with myself of bringing a set amount of cash to try and limit buying but would always pull out a credit card before the weekend was over. Someone was always having a Sunday dinner break sale that I found next to impossible to pass on.

The vendor rooms were eye-popping in 2000 (first year I went)... pretty sure I came home with 60+ CDs a couple of times. It toned down quite a bit over time, since as one prog vendor said (paraphrased), "You can only buy Änglagård once".

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The nice thing about ProgDay, for me, is that the dealers tent is pretty modest. Aside from buying a few CDs by the bands performing, there's little to tempt me.
    It wasn't always that way...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    Is this slow release of detail being done purposely to try and create more buzz or simply due to the fact that they haven't planned things out in advance? Not sure if the 3 day festival is something I need to attend these days but knowing the cost would make the decision for me. I went to almost every Nearfest and not much else back in those days. I probably spent somewhere around $1,000 each year between tickets, hotel, food, travel and CD's. Today, for an investment of $25-$75 and 2-3 hours each, I have more choices nearer to home to scratch that live music itch, with prog artists playing at the corner bar and in Ridgefield CT such as Belew, Hackett, Carl Palmer, Neal Morse, Stick Men, Security Project.
    They are trying to make another "must go to every year" kind of festival with a great vibe where the bands are treated well, the patrons have the creature comforts and all their prog friends can reconnect every year and all that. They have their shit together, they just got started a little later than they wanted to so that's been why the slight stagger of shoes dropping but all of this is happening in deliberate moves albeit a bit "compressed". Ticket details comes next and happens on Friday.

There will be merch from bands (not playing that particular day) and maybe the stores once they hear this is happening. It will be at Union County PAC's alternate, smaller theater's lobby and a nice big room with a big glass window wall. It's a short walk away. The lobby at the main venue is not very large. I always liked the vendors being there at festivals because you save on shipping!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So, no announcement of hotel or prices, at least not on PE.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blusterbox studio View Post
    The vendor rooms at Nearfest were dangerous for sure. I always played a failing game with myself of bringing a set amount of cash to try and limit buying but would always pull out a credit card before the weekend was over. Someone was always having a Sunday dinner break sale that I found next to impossible to pass on.
    The best thing about the NF vendor room was the sellers from Japan who dropped their prices in a huge way near the end of the festival. I bought a Marillion Box for $60 that would go for $300 on ebay a few months later.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The best thing about the NF vendor room was the sellers from Japan who dropped their prices in a huge way near the end of the festival. I bought a Marillion Box for $60 that would go for $300 on ebay a few months later.
    So you made a $240 profit? Nice!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So this is a crowdfunding campaign. That's cool. I read over the info and it talks a lot about hitting the funding goal and needing our cash as soon as possible. What I can't find is what the actual goal is and when the funding campaign ends. It says 211 days left, which seemingly puts the end of the campaign in October. Isn't that when the fest is scheduled? Maybe I'm missing something.

I don't think Pledgemusic actually shows the goal but I suppose you can do the math based on what percentage is fulfilled and how many have pledged. Basically looks like you spend either $405, $305 or $205 (or $10 less of all of those if not interested in late night hotel performances) and are lined up to be in a group that picks tickets at 3 different times. As to the campaign's ending date, I don't know.

What happens if it doesn't successfully fund? Do pledgers get a refund?

Pledge is slightly stickier than Kickstarter...I've seen campaigns that sort of go into this "eventually we'll get there" state (the Goblin CD kind of went like this), so as a result I am less confident in Pledge campaigns returning funding if things don't fully go as planned.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

https://help.pledgemusic.com/hc/en-u...I-get-charged-

On target projects, Credit Cards are not charged until a project reaches its goal. If the project has already reached its goal then they are charged immediately. PayPal pledges are always charged immediately, but are refunded if the project does not reach its goal. You can cancel your pledge at any time before your pledge is fulfilled.

On pre-order projects, all orders are charged immediately.

We use a Payment Gateway to store the card details – under no circumstances does PledgeMusic hold credit card details.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    So how's that working out for you and The Tea Club?

Fan polls on websites are certainly an ego massage but how effective are you at monetizing that and also expanding your fanbase? That's the key and its not easy.
    For some reason I haven't seen this post in the week since it's been posted. Don't know why.

To "answer" your question, agreed on your statement of monetizing and expanding fanbase. I'd say it's going pretty good. If "working out for you" in your world is filling up theaters, sniffing lines of coke off groupies' bellies and then trashing a hotel room on a bi-weekly basis then...um....no but if the very good amount of people who have bought our CDs/Shirts/Blu-rays have told us they found out about us on Progarchives then yes, that has "worked out" for us as much as I can expect it to. Tea Club are a bit younger and can go on tours and stuff so I can tell you their opening up on an east coast tour a few months ago for Thank You Scientist and I think another band of note has been a nice development in their "careers" as well-again no groupies, blow and trashed hotel rooms either from what I gather but, can they make their music and probably not lose any money recording it in an industry where even Fleetwood Mac sees making another album as fiscal stupidity and a general waste of time? I think so and I say not too shabby Tea Club, my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    It would be disappointing if the promoters of the festival fall into the trap that Ohioprog and Farfest, et al fell into. Don't believe the huzzahs of the minority. Relying on the fact that the location is in proximity to NYC won't help. Ask Jim and Ray about their cancelled NJ Homecoming festival. Progstock has a homogeneous but quality filled lineup but there are no magnet bands so filling a 1300 seat venue is going to be an impossible task. Scheduling so close to the Chicago festival and sharing bands with them makes it even harder. The promoters will have to invest a significant amount of financial resources to get the word out. Relying on Progressive Ears and ProgArchives isn't going to get the job done. I hope they have significant social media skills and it all turns out for the best.
    I'd disagree on the NYC location. It is far more populated and for people who don't want to travel far or at all it will be a "yes" for them where a farther festival might get a "no". While it will be hard to FILL the venue, no one is talking FILL. A certain number of pledges need to be sold and then it goes forth. If not then they have to figure in all talk about apparent lack of magnet bands, etc. Have you ever thought that maybe had Tangent, Karmakanic and Aisles would not had come to the US had they not played 2 festivals instead of one? Reliance isn't on PE. Isn't it a pretty good indication that someone from one of the bands playing is doing most of their PR here on PE instead of them show you they are not "relying" on PE? They've got some good skills. Better than I've seen at any other fest. Since they've "appeared" you might notice the much a larger outreach from some other festivals-mostly on Facebook-and all of a sudden people are getting their Facebook friend requests answered from the organizers of festivals after sitting there for years. Rising tide lifts all boats? We'll see.

Maybe they're using the Fazioli room?

Merch is going to be in the Fazioli Room. If you must know!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    For some reason I haven't seen this post in the week since it's been posted. Don't know why.

To "answer" your question, agreed on your statement of monetizing and expanding fanbase. I'd say it's going pretty good. If "working out for you" in your world is filling up theaters, sniffing lines of coke off groupies' bellies and then trashing a hotel room on a bi-weekly basis then...um....no but if the very good amount of people who have bought our CDs/Shirts/Blu-rays have told us they found out about us on Progarchives then yes, that has "worked out" for us as much as I can expect it to. Tea Club are a bit younger and can go on tours and stuff so I can tell you their opening up on an east coast tour a few months ago for Thank You Scientist and I think another band of note has been a nice development in their "careers" as well-again no groupies, blow and trashed hotel rooms either from what I gather but, can they make their music and probably not lose any money recording it in an industry where even Fleetwood Mac sees making another album as fiscal stupidity and a general waste of time? I think so and I say not too shabby Tea Club, my friends.

I'd disagree on the NYC location. It is far more populated and for people who don't want to travel far or at all it will be a "yes" for them where a farther festival might get a "no". While it will be hard to FILL the venue, no one is talking FILL. A certain number of pledges need to be sold and then it goes forth. If not then they have to figure in all talk about apparent lack of magnet bands, etc. Have you ever thought that maybe had Tangent, Karmakanic and Aisles would not had come to the US had they not played 2 festivals instead of one? Reliance isn't on PE. Isn't it a pretty good indication that someone from one of the bands playing is doing most of their PR here on PE instead of them show you they are not "relying" on PE? They've got some good skills. Better than I've seen at any other fest. Since they've "appeared" you might notice the much a larger outreach from some other festivals-mostly on Facebook-and all of a sudden people are getting their Facebook friend requests answered from the organizers of festivals after sitting there for years. Rising tide lifts all boats? We'll see.
    Robert I'm not really sure I understand the second part of your post but I appreciate your passion and recognize your vested interest in the success of Progstock. Personally I hope it works out. If it brings some attention to "the scene" thats a huge bonus for everyone. Its a local festival for me so I might enjoy watching some of the bands I haven't checked out before.

Keep in mind that I've been involved in the progressive rock realm for almost 30 years. I've seen a lot and know more behind the scenes than most. In fact Steve Feigenbaum and I came very close to putting on a NJ based festival of our own some years ago that would have been one for the ages. I know the issues involved. Its much harder now and I hope Progstock is able to circumvent them.

Perhaps I'm not an optimist. Perhaps I'm jaded. At my age I'm definitely not a dreamer. You are welcome to be a cheerleader but I like keeping it 100.

If Progstock happens maybe we'll bump into one another and I'll let you buy me a beer.

Prices are WAY high. Is there a top-tier "must see" act I'm missing? Forgive my cynicism. I feel as though I'm being very very very over-enthusiastically sold a bill of goods.
    Last edited by wilcox660; 03-18-2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarity!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Home-On-The-Rangers
    I did a spit take reading that & I don't know why! Beverage of your choice should we ever meet, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And would Jaga fans pay for a festival price when they can go see the band for $20 down the street?
    This.