Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a King's X kick this weekend

On a King's X kick this weekend

I kinda fade out on this band past Dogman and I really shouldn't. Listening to some of the later stuff while playing guitar (acoustic, just scales to get my calluses back) and drinking beer. Man, they just kicked ass. The opening to "The Train" is just nasty. It's just insane that they never reached a mass audience.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

They were pretty popular in the late 80s when I was in college. I had no idea they're still around.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    They were pretty popular in the late 80s when I was in college. I had no idea they're still around.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    My son is a huge fan and I went with him to see them last summer. They can still kick ass!

I watched John Jowitt (of many bands familiar to those here) drool & obsess over King's X while watching them at 3RP in Pittsburgh when they played the same year as IQ. It was fun to watch a musician I both knew personally and admired musically slobber like all normal fanboys.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I watched John Jowitt (of many bands familiar to those here) drool & obsess over King's X while watching them at 3RP in Pittsburgh when they played the same year as IQ. It was fun to watch a musician I both knew personally and admired musically slobber like all normal fanboys.
    Yes! I was there too, and noticed the exact same thing regarding Mr. Jowitt. He was really getting into the music during the King's X set, and it was very cool to see. Like you said, it was nice to see he's human like the rest of us.

I'm sorry I didn't know you at the time. Would have been great to meet you in person.

That was a great weekend, and King's X was definitely a highlight (among many). Those guys did not mess around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I kinda fade out on this band past Dogman and I really shouldn't. Listening to some of the later stuff while playing guitar (acoustic, just scales to get my calluses back) and drinking beer. Man, they just kicked ass. The opening to "The Train" is just nasty. It's just insane that they never reached a mass audience.
    I am the same way. I revisit them every so often and remember how great they are. Have not seen them live since the "Manic Moonlight" tour. For some reason they never play my area anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am the same way. I revisit them every so often and remember how great they are. Have not seen them live since the "Manic Moonlight" tour. For some reason they never play my area anymore.
    Ear Candy had some killer tunes on it. I actually never checked out Manic Moonlight though. They did put out a lot of music over their lifetime really.

Listening to Ogre Tones now. This had some very good songs too! Been years since I've listened to it...

You've got to listen to Ty Tabor's solo stuff, too. I find I like his singing way more than Dug's and the music is just as good! Also recommend Jelly Jam, a Ty Tabor side project.

Platypus has 2 awesome albums(When Pus Comes To Shove and Ice Cycles) featuring Ty Tabor,Derek Sherinian, and John Myung: bass
    Rod Morgenstein: drums

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Platypus has 2 awesome albums(When Pus Comes To Shove and Ice Cycles) featuring Ty Tabor,Derek Sherinian, and John Myung: bass
    Rod Morgenstein: drums
    Agree, both albums are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    GTS was to be the original title for their last album in 2008 which ended up being XV. I really wish they would release another with new music.

PLease Come Home Mr. Bulbous is my pick for the best unknown cd they have. The music is phenomenal in hard-psych-rock. The only other band I could compare it to would have to be The Claypool Lennon Delirium.

GTS was to be the original title for their last album in 2008 which ended up being XV. I really wish they would release another with new music.
    Been nearly a decade already. Looks like they're following BÖC into forget-the-album-let's-just-tour territory. Oh, well.

PLease Come Home Mr. Bulbous is my pick for the best unknown cd they have. The music is phenomenal in hard-psych-rock. The only other band I could compare it to would have to be The Claypool Lennon Delirium.
    That one turned me off some. But then they got their mojo back with Manic Moonlight. BLS is okay. Of course, Ogre Tones/VX were the best things they'd done since Dogman/Ear Candy.

Love Kings X.

They win my "must have had close to 100 chances to see them live but never have" award. Early on there were plenty of excuses, but now it's almost a running joke at this point. They are a killer live band too.

Those first four and the live albums are heavy rotation material but I listen to the rest a fair bit too. Just missing XV I think.

Saw them open for Porcupine Tree in Toronto. I need to spin one of their albums this week, it's been too long.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

If there's a band whose members have stronger side projects, I haven't heard it. The Jelly Jam, Pinnick Gales Pridgen, KXM - wow!

Saw them on the Faith Hope Love tour at the old Limelight in NYC. Excellent band. Wish they toured a bit more (at least in my area).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at that show! The opener was an unknown new young Seattle band called Alice In Chains and the crowd was NOT kind to them. After an incredible set bursting with energy and multiple encores, Dug said "Ty and Jerry don't want me to tell you this but they both have the flu". A year later, "Man In The Box" by AIC was all OVER MTV and radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Saw them on the Faith Hope Love tour at the old Limelight in NYC. Excellent band. Wish they toured a bit more (at least in my area).

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I was at that show! The opener was an unknown new young Seattle band called Alice In Chains and the crowd was NOT kind to them. After an incredible set bursting with energy and multiple encores, Dug said "Ty and Jerry don't want me to tell you this but they both have the flu". A year later, "Man In The Box" by AIC was all OVER MTV and radio.
    HOLY SHIT! I was at that show too! 3RDegree guitarist Patrick Kliesch I think was there too. Seeing them do that semi-christian overtoned album in a former church was freakin' amazing and Alice In Chains before anyone knowing who they were opening up? SOOOOOO glad I went to that show. Definitely in my top 10 of all time along with Kevin Gilbert & Nick D'Virgilio at Tramps opening for Jonatha Brooke in '95. That one is way up there.

I saw an interview with Ty in one of the guitar mags, and he said that they're coming up with some new music, and if it sounds exciting to them, they'll do another recording. Jerry's heart problems kind of slowed them down for a bit, but apparently he's back to his old self. I guess we'll see if the stuff excites them or not.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    HOLY SHIT! I was at that show too! 3RDegree guitarist Patrick Kliesch I think was there too. Seeing them do that semi-christian overtoned album in a former church was freakin' amazing and Alice In Chains before anyone knowing who they were opening up? SOOOOOO glad I went to that show. Definitely in my top 10 of all time along with Kevin Gilbert & Nick D'Virgilio at Tramps opening for Jonatha Brooke in '95. That one is way up there.
    Wow what are the odds!? Nice. I haven't seen them since, hope to fix that soon.

new interview with Dug which he does mention the band are talking about making a new album.

The other thing I remember about that night - it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a drink at the bar...

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    You've got to listen to Ty Tabor's solo stuff, too. I find I like his singing way more than Dug's and the music is just as good! Also recommend Jelly Jam, a Ty Tabor side project.
    I really tried to like Kings X but they're just "okay" to me. I much prefer hearing them live. The parts of Kings X that I like are those with a strong Ty influence and his lead vocals, which is why I like his side projects much more (solo, Jelly Jam, Platypus, etc.)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I really tried to like Kings X but they're just "okay" to me. I much prefer hearing them live. The parts of Kings X that I like are those with a strong Ty influence and his lead vocals, which is why I like his side projects much more (solo, Jelly Jam, Platypus, etc.)
    When I met Ty in 2004 he told me his fave of all the side projects was JUGHEAD. I have never heard a note to this day.

Orcopian
    Kings X are on a European Tour at the moment, this week they played 3 sold out shows in the UK, I went to the Woverhampton show on Tuesday and it was one of the best, most euphoric gigs I have ever been to. The band were on fire and the audience loved them, Doug didn't need to do much singing as the audience sang all the songs. Looking on social media there was a similar reaction at the other UK dates. I really hope this is a turning point of the band, its clear they have a very strong dedicated fan base, they need to get a quality new release out and come back and play a bigger tour here.

Support band Kings of spade were great as well, certainly the first band from Hawaii I have ever seen! Also I think I saw John jowitt in the bar after the show.
    Last edited by Orcopian; 06-16-2017 at 06:17 PM.