Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gentle Giant 2018 Box - Record Label Survey?

Charles: Looking forward, there’s rumors of some massive Gentle Giant box set. Is there? Is it rumors or maybe it’ll happen?

Derek: I think it’s real. There’s going to be a 20-album box set coming out next year, which is basically a lot of my live shows, which will give people an indication of how we stretched the music out into different forms, from different ways and probably some music that has never been heard. And it’s actually a very limited edition. It’s going to be with a book and all the other bells and whistles. Somebody’s doing it in the UK. It’s a labor of love. It’s going to be quite a special box. I’m looking forward to it. But I have no idea what it’s going to be like.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

Derek: how we stretched the music out into different forms, from different ways Somebody’s doing it in the UK....It’s a labor of . But I have no idea what it’s going to be like.
    I don’t know about earlier, but by 1974 or so, with very few exceptions, the band did not stretch the music out into different forms, imo.

They played terrifically well, but there was no improvisation, other than some of the solos and even those generally followed a basic template.

It’s going to be 20 amazingly similar discs. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don’t know about earlier, but by 1974 or so, with very few exceptions, the band did not stretch the music out into different forms, imo.

They played terrifically well, but there was no improvisation, other than some of the solos and even those generally followed a basic template.

What live stuff I have is all after 1974, and while there are differences in the arrangements, they are not drastically different (and probably only changed from tour to tour.....meaning a given tour probably had the same arrangements throughout). I don't know if they ever did any improvising outside of individual solos. Not on any of the live stuff I have.

So yeah, you are probably right. That said, people got very excited about the Yes Progeny box, which to my ears was all incredibly similar (though certainly some performances were more "on" than others). So I could easily see people wanting that stuff.

while any given show on a tour was fairly similar if they manage to get one show from each unique tour their is quite a bit of variation or just songs that were not played on other shows.

of course most of this stuff has been released in some form or another but having it all nicely packaged should be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    That said, people got very excited about the Yes Progeny box, which to my ears was all incredibly similar (though certainly some performances were more "on" than others).
    As someone who has "studied" live Yes for many years the Progeny shows are actually incredibly different, (IMO)

I recently played just the "Close to the Edge" material over the course of a few listening sessions and it actually struck me how different they are

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    while any given show on a tour was fairly similar if they manage to get one show from each unique tour their is quite a bit of variation or just songs that were not played on other shows..
    From my listening, for the most part, the songs were performed similarly once they had a live arrangements made; Funny Ways and Excerpts From Octopus did not vary much from tour to tour (except they finally dumped 'Yankee Doodle' in the recorder part of Excerpts, when it wasn't the bicentennial any more).

Different songs not played on other tours, certainly, but you're going to get an awful lot of very similar sounding versions Funny Ways, The Runaway, Excerpts From Octopus, etc in a box like this.

imo. based on what I have heard of their live stuff (which is plenty).
    Last edited by Steve F.; 04-24-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    As someone who has "studied" live Yes for many years the Progeny shows are actually incredibly different, (IMO)

I recently played just the "Close to the Edge" material over the course of a few listening sessions and it actually struck me how different they are
    OK. I'm curious. I have listened to Progeny quite a few times and I'm with Infandous: varying levels of energy and "on"-ness but basically the same show. Give us a few examples of parts that are noticably different. I believe you, but I would like to hear for myself.

From my listening, for the most part, the songs were performed similarly once they had a live arrangements made; Funny Ways and Excerpts From Octopus did not vary much from tour to tour (except they finally dumped 'Yankee Doodle' in the recorder part of Excerpts, when it wasn't the bicentennial any more).

Different songs not played on other tours, certainly, but you're going to get an awful lot of very similar sounding versions Funny Ways, The Runaway, Excerpts From Octopus, etc in a box like this.

imo. based on what I have heard of their live stuff (which is plenty).
    funny ways true.

octopus changed a bit from tour to tour if I recall correctly the first version started with knots and had a longer keyboard solo that touched on acquiring the taste, then it started with knots and variations on the recorder thing as you mentioned, then playing the fool it starts with boys in the band. they only played it a few times on the missing piece tour but it has a unique little keyboard solo after knots different from playing the fool

so at least 4 different variants touching many similar areas but not exactly the same at least.

Maybe they didn't changed much playing live, but they are so much more a Rock band live.

I like the way they formed medleys of albums into almost (consistent sounding) longtracks.

There is also their very heavy version of "In a Glass House" with Green doing a nearly endless guitar solo ending with the band going totally nuts!

Daniel Barrett, webmaster supreme for GG, posted this email to the O-R list earlier this month. I thought I'd pass it on in case some folks on here might could help -

Does anybody have "pictures, ticket stubs, posters, passes, etc."
    for these GG shows?

DUSSELDORF 1971
    ESSEN 1972
    NEW ORLEANS 1972
    HOLLYWOOD BOWL 1972
    VICENZA 1973
    TORINO 1973
    MUNSTER 1974
    CLEVELAND 1975
    BASEL 1975
    CHESTER 1977

Snapper Music is seeking high-res scanned images for the "ultimate
    boxed set" they're producing. This is the same "ultimate" set I've
    mentioned before.

Also, they're seeking high-resolution scans of these two posters:

http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/File:Tpatg-poster.jpg
    http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/File:Liveposter-1981.jpg

Contact iancrockett@talk21.com if you have any of these items.

I'm told that the boxed set is going well, and the title will be
    "Unburied Treasure." That's all I know right now!

Did anything ever come of this? A search on Discogs came up snake eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did anything ever come of this? A search on Discogs came up snake eyes.
    A part of these concerts were already released as official bootlegs ( Cleveland, Torino , Münster, Hollywood Bowl) mostly in bad audio quality like most GG boots, plus the better material on Scrapping The Barrel and Under Construction. I don't really see an interest in releasing this set unless they find some better quality recordings.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    A part of these concerts were already released as official bootlegs ( Cleveland, Torino , Münster, Hollywood Bowl) mostly in bad audio quality like most GG boots, plus the better material on Scrapping The Barrel and Under Construction. I don't really see an interest in releasing this set unless they find some better quality recordings.
    So it never got past the planning stage, and the compilers have pulled the plug?

So it never got past the planning stage, and the compilers have pulled the plug?
    Daniel Barrett invested a lot of energy to revive the interest in GG, he compiled and/ or worked on most GG boxsets, but IMO the interest for more GG material is limited also sales wise and the overall material of the bootlegs is less then average and they had released already two years ago the majority of the official bootlegs a 4 cd boxset. But the best place to check out is the Blazemonger website.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    But the best place to check out is the Blazemonger website.
    OK, thanks. I had a look there and didn't see any real mention of it. I think if it was a "go," there would have been a prominent link for it. I'm going to assume that the project died on the vine.

OK, thanks. I had a look there and didn't see any real mention of it. I think if it was a "go," there would have been a prominent link for it. I'm going to assume that the project died on the vine.
    There was quite recently another request for materials similar to the one in Dok's post #60 above, so I was under the impression that the box is still in the works.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx