Thread: Saxondale - Steve Coogan

Saxondale - Steve Coogan

Prompted by the recent Brian Pern thread.

I much preferred this short lived series in a similar vein from Steve Coogan from 2006.

Coogan played Tommy Saxondale, a former roadie who had toured with a lot of the 'greats' in the 70's, now settled down and running his own pest control business...but still trying to desperately cling on to his reputation as an old rocker.

He drives a 1973 yellow Mach 1 mustang, and the theme song to the series is Focus' House Of The King.

I thought it was funny and quite well written, and I liked the character. One of the running themes (and there are a few) is that he has anger issues, and his weekly group therapy sessions usually descend into chaos.

He's a slightly sad, pathetic character but you kind of warm to him.

He is also fond of telling convoluted and apocryphal stories about his many legendary gigs, and hanging out with the legendary musicians of the day.

My fave episode is when he stands in for an AWOL soundman at a Queen tribute act, and after the gig when he goes to the bands dressing room for what he expects will be debauchery, drinking and mayhem, only to find times have certainly changed...

This is my fave clip from the show -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBdoDyI8f4
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Brilliant, thanks for that. Big fan of Coogan but was put off watching that series by the reviews. I do have the DVD waiting to be watched though so I think you have persuaded me it's time to dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Brilliant, thanks for that. Big fan of Coogan but was put off watching that series by the reviews. I do have the DVD waiting to be watched though so I think you have persuaded me it's time to dig it out.
    I think a lot of the reviews and also public opinion were regarding the appeal of the character. He did have a few odd tics and mannerisms which some thought were a bit over the top.

Also, as Coogan was known for creating memorable comedy characters a lot is usually expected of him, but this may have been a bit too subtle and niche for some.

It definitely helps to know the musical references, particularly 70's rock and prog as that was the characters era, and he would often quote well-known lyrics and also tell stories about the bands.

I guess the casual viewer may not have got a lot of those references hence their enjoyment may have been lessened by that.

But if you know the references I think you will like it.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Phil Collins ruined Tommy Saxondale's date. That should be a good enough reason for every PE member to watch the series.

Huge Coogan fan here! I loved Saxondale while it was on BBC America.

Some more Saxondale...

Just started binge-watching on Daily Motion. This is great stuff.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/...#video=x37dgm9

Oh super funny! I picked up the DVD set on Amazon quite a while back. Focus music is featured in the themes!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Your kung fu is good...