Thread: Art Tatum - Where to start?

Art Tatum - Where to start?

Anyone know of a good collection of Art Tatum music on cd? I've been enjoying a lot of piano jazz lately and figure its time to really listen to one of the masters from the past. I've seen and listened to some Youtube clips of course, but want to hear more. Any ideas?

The Genius of.... LPs on Clef. I think they've been collected in a set......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Thomas, do you want solo piano? or with a band?

Different answers, depending on what you are looking for.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Exactly.

I have Solos (1940) from the Decca label on CD. Amazing stuff by any standard, but when you think about the time frame, it's even more mind boggling! IMO, he laid all the groundwork for bebop at least 5 years before it was invented. But this is music that transcends genre, it's just great music that should be heard by anybody who appreciates high quality art (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Anyone know of a good collection of Art Tatum music on cd? I've been enjoying a lot of piano jazz lately and figure its time to really listen to one of the masters from the past. I've seen and listened to some Youtube clips of course, but want to hear more. Any ideas?
    G'day Thomas, you have picked a musician that "oozed" unbelievable virtuosity that has rarely been equaled since as he "unique" similar, but different instrument would be Rashaan Roland Kirk. Both had physical debilitaions (Blindness) and died young.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I guess I'd prefer to start with solo piano. I am far from the audiophile type, but do hope to get a decent recording -some of the Youtube clips are terrible recordings. CD only, I don't do the vinyl thing.

Thomas

You have to remember that he died in the mid 50s. So, nothing is going to be a 'modern recording'.

I think his best work was in the 30s/40s, but those are generally 'terrible' recordings.

SO: based on this information, I think you would be happiest with his 50s solo recordings for Clef/Verve.

Lots of choices here and reasonable prices and the recordings are pretty much as good as they got for early/mid 50s.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Cpopular%2C168

Someone more familiar with this stuff can point out WHICH of these they think are best.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I have Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces Volume Six on Pablo and it's always a pleasure to spin.Can't go wrong with any of the solo Pablo's.I think Phil Schaap recommended Volume Six, i took his advice.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This is all very helpful. I do realize there are limits to those early recordings, and they wont sound like something recorded today, I expect that for sure.

If you under stand those sonic limitations, any of those Pablo solo masterpieces will suit you just fine.

Maybe volume 6, as Walt says. I find Walt's judgements to be excellent. Hope you agree.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'll definitely look into these suggestions tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    This is all very helpful. I do realize there are limits to those early recordings, and they wont sound like something recorded today, I expect that for sure.
    The Decca "Solos (1940)" CD I have is far from unlistenable. And his style and chops were pretty much fully developed even at that early point in time.

It's a shame that he died so many years ago and very little of his recordings sound awful.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa