Thread: Pye Hastings - 1st solo record Pledge

I'm in as well, but I really wish this would be a Caravan album. Or at least I hope Geoff R. plays on it!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm in as well, but I really wish this would be a Caravan album. Or at least I hope Geoff R. plays on it!
    Given that Pye is the sole composer in Caravan since the 80ies (or earlier ?) it won't make any difference anyway. But I would temper my enthusiasm, this will be very likely similar to Caravan's latest record (Paradise Filter): a collection of short simple straightforward insipid pop songs. Don't expect any extended instrumental passages or a return to the original prog/canterbury style.
    But (hopefully), maybe I'll be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Given that Pye is the sole composer in Caravan since the 80ies (or earlier ?) it won't make any difference anyway. But I would temper my enthusiasm, this will be very likely similar to Caravan's latest record (Paradise Filter): a collection of short simple straightforward insipid pop songs. Don't expect any extended instrumental passages or a return to the original prog/canterbury style.
    But (hopefully), maybe I'll be wrong...

The main composer, but not the only one-- He didn't write any album single handedly, and the title track of Paradise Filter is Schelhaas/Richardson. That is certainly a songwriting based album, but the songs aren't especially short, and I sure wouldn't call them insipid-- To name one, I find "Farewell My Old Friend," about Coughlan, highly moving.

The thing is if you grew up with a band then, i think in general, you tend to support whatever the output. Because, lets face it, you have grown older with them.

However if you picked up on a band late on in their careers, and have to delve back through their back catalouge (I just got into so and so, where do I start) then you might find the differences in styles starkly different from when the artist started out to where they are now.