Thread: Pluto to be a planet once more?

Pluto to be a planet once more?

Looks like NASA wants to alter the definition of "planet" so Pluto will have it's status reversed:

From a USA Today article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...gain/98187922/)

The demotion of the planet is quite simply “bulls***,” Alan Stern, principal investigator of NASA’s New Horizons mission to Pluto told Business Insider in 2015.

And two years later, Stern and his colleagues are not backing down from that belief, Gizmodo reports. In a proposal sent to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) for approval, the team suggests that a new definition of a planet, that is more in line with “scientific classification and peoples’ intuition.”

“In the mind of the public, the word 'planet' carries a significance lacking in other words used to describe planetary bodies,” the proposal states. “In the decade following the supposed 'demotion' of Pluto by the International Astronomical Union, many members of the public, in our experience, assume that alleged 'non-planets' cease to be interesting enough to warrant scientific exploration.”

The scientists suggest planets should constitute as “round objects in space that are smaller than stars,” thus excluding white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes from the planetary status.

"A planet is a sub-stellar mass body that has never undergone nuclear fusion and that has sufficient self-gravitation to assume a spheroidal shape adequately described by a triaxial ellipsoid regardless of its orbital parameters," the proposal elaborates, noting that the Earth's moon would constitute as a planet under the new definition.

Until Pluto learns to talk like Goofy, he should not be placed in the same category.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hurray for Pluto! Welcome back to the planet family. Look out, baby, there's a planet coming!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Scientific classification and people's intuition...What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Look out, baby, there's a planet coming!
    I heard what you did there!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Let's rewrite the schoolbooks again! New Mexico, I believe, passed a law that retained Pluto's status as a planet all through the years of uncertainty.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Plutocrats unite!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Until Pluto learns to talk like Goofy, he should not be placed in the same category.
    I think Goofy was jealous that Pluto had a planet named after him.

so he played a bad prank some 15 years ago
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I think Goofy was jealous that Pluto had a planet named after him.

so he played a bad prank some 15 years ago
    Do you know why Mickey Mouse had Minnie institutionalized?

She was fuckin' Goofy.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was at Disney Land a few years back and asked the girl dressed as Snow White if she'd ever felt dopey when she was dressed like that. She said no but she did on occasion feel goofy.

The Gas Planets seem less of a "planet" to me than Pluto. No solid surface? How do you land on it?

I'm surprised in this thread that no one has pulled a "Uranus" joke out of their... well, you know...

I would be ok with Pluto being a planet again. It seems like it was demoted to dwarf planet just because of it's size. The thing is though that Pluto is not an asteroid like the other dwarf "planets."

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Do you know why Mickey Mouse had Minnie institutionalized?

She was fuckin' Goofy.

That reminds me of the joke what does budweiser have in common with sex in a canoe? :P