Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited II Tour

I missed that little "Wales" thing in your profile, JJ88.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Connecticut date (Ridgefield Playhouse) for those on the east coast....

http://www.ridgefieldplayhouse.org/e...esis-revisited

Tiny 500 seat theater.
    Part of the old Ridgefield High School, which eventually housed offices for Boehringer and later used for municipal purposes. Right across the street from the Police Dept where my wife used to work.
    The folks who run the Ridgefield Playhouse do a damn fine job. Some prog shows I've seen there include The Musical Box, Asia and Allan Holdsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Being humbled by knowing where your bread is buttered is good for the artist's soul.
    I disagree. I think what you say is good for the wallet. Being true to yourself is good for the soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    I disagree. I think what you say is good for the wallet. Being true to yourself is good for the soul!
    Isn't possible for Steve to do this tour for two very good reasons? A chance to perform many classics live, which has got to be fulfilling, and of course making a few bucks along the way, I see nothing wrong with that. Some of you I think would be happy if he did a tour playing in front of 50 people a night, losing money but "being true to yourself". Did you ever think maybe its more enjoyable playing in front of a sizable packed house, and not worrying every night how much money you lost? I have not heard it said yet, but I sort of get the feeling some people here believe this is nothing more than a greedy money grab, and that he can't possibly find a tour like this musically fulfilling. I do hope I'm wrong about that viewpoint, and that its just a matter of wanting to hear his solo work more. I've seen him twice, loved both shows, but will find it to be quite the thrill to hear many of these amazing Genesis tunes played live, most the first time I get to hear them by an actual former member of the band. I only saw Genesis live once, on the Invisible Touch tour, where the only Hackett era music was a brief medley, plus I think Los Endos. That's it. At the two NF gigs, we heard some Genesis, but a whole show of it? I'm stoked by the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Isn't possible for Steve to do this tour for two very good reasons? A chance to perform many classics live, which has got to be fulfilling, and of course making a few bucks along the way, I see nothing wrong with that. Some of you I think would be happy if he did a tour playing in front of 50 people a night, losing money but "being true to yourself". Did you ever think maybe its more enjoyable playing in front of a sizable packed house, and not worrying every night how much money you lost? I have not heard it said yet, but I sort of get the feeling some people here believe this is nothing more than a greedy money grab, and that he can't possibly find a tour like this musically fulfilling. I do hope I'm wrong about that viewpoint, and that its just a matter of wanting to hear his solo work more. I've seen him twice, loved both shows, but will find it to be quite the thrill to hear many of these amazing Genesis tunes played live, most the first time I get to hear them by an actual former member of the band. I only saw Genesis live once, on the Invisible Touch tour, where the only Hackett era music was a brief medley, plus I think Los Endos. That's it. At the two NF gigs, we heard some Genesis, but a whole show of it? I'm stoked by the idea.
    Yes, it is possible to do the tour for the 2 reasons you mentioned. I was just answering the person who quoted me regarding money, that's all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    well said...people who are just calling this a "money grab" tour are 1) not Hackett fans because they don't know that when he tours it's usually 80% (awesome)solo material, 2) must think musicians are superheros who don't need to earn a living like normal people too.

I just think it's a shame that this tour seems to be putting more bums on seats than his usual shows do. And even that there are seats at some venues! Made me quite sad when I attended a Steve Hackett gig once, and overheard a conversation when someone said they " only came to hear the Genesis stuff. " I only went to hear Steve's stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed it too!

He's the only one in Genesis whose work I still pay attention to (I'll check out Anthony Phillips' later work one day too). For some in the audience to ignore his solo work, as has been suggested above, and just respond to the Genesis work is a shame. I can't believe they couldn't get any joy out of relatively recent songs like 'Set Your Compass', 'Emerald and Ash', 'Prairie Angel'/'A Place Called Freedom' etc, which to me still have the character and dynamics of classic 70s Genesis...much more than what I heard of 'Scratch My Back', 'Going Back' and, I imagine, 'The Road'. (Couldn't comment on 'Six' as of yet.)

Here in the UK he's already sold out a few of these Genesis Revisited shows, several more dates were added. I hope some of this wider audience try his albums.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Maybe it's nostalgia tour of sorts, but I also think it has a lot to do with the staying power of the material from the 70s Genesis albums. Personally, I enjoyed both Genesis Revisited albums, but they also make me go back and appreciate the brilliance of the original recordings. "More butts in the seats" on the current tour almost assuredly means there will be a certain percentage of folks in attendance subsequently seeking out the original recordings, either to re-visit or to own for the first time, which isn't a bad thing. There will also be folks who will check out more of SH's solo material as a result of seeing him perform live. That's the camp I fall into, and if he brings the GenRev tour to the mid-west US, I will be there if schedules allow.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Heīs got a right to make a living, the Stones & The Who have been doing nothing but nostalgia shows for years! If the ex-band members donīt want to join the party then thatīs up to them.....the way tickets are selling in the UK is already a sign that this is going to be a successful tour !

I just think it's a shame that this tour seems to be putting more bums on seats than his usual shows do.
    It's bigger shame that this is likely the only time you will ever get to see a core member of Genesis play these songs live

It think it's fucking fantastic

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Agree with Brian.

I see no shame in a musician of Hackett's vintage and genre being able to play two nights in little ol' Glenside, PA - regardless of whether he's playing the best songs from his previous band or if he's playing his own material. And I've a feeling that he'll play both, so any Hackett fan should be pleased when they leave the show, I'd think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    It's bigger shame that this is likely the only time you will ever get to see a core member of Genesis play these songs live

It think it's fucking fantastic

BG
    ??? Wrong! I have already seen Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett several times.

Banned
    ??? Wrong! I have already seen Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett several times.
    and i saw Phil, Tony and Mike play a shitload of great 70's era music in 2007.

Yeah, nearly 40 years ago. Seeing Hackett in 2013 playing these songs is something to savor. I didn't see Hackett with Genesis, after all, I was all of 9 the last time he toured with them. I've seen him play his solo catalog twice, quite enjoyed it too. And as much as I like his solo music, I can't say it really compares to Genesis material from 71-76. I'd see him again if it wasn't Genesis music, but this has even more appeal to me.

Wrong!

...but I should have been clear, although I thought it obvious I meant going forward

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    and i saw Phil, Tony and Mike play a shitload of great 70's era music in 2007.
    I enjoyed the fuck out of that show, but comparing what was played that tour vs the songs included on Revisited 2, it was a pretty shitty shitload!

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 02-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Banned
    I enjoyed the fuck out of that show, but comparing what was played that tour vs the songs included on Revisited 2, it was pretty shitty shitload!

BG
    since that is a matter of opinion, we'll just leave it at that.

I think it's rather obvious that he was saying this will probably be the last time you'll get to see a core member of Genesis playing these songs live.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You'll see faces and traces of home!
    LOL. I don't see faces and traces of home in West Bumblefuck Pennsylvania, that's for sure.

Wrong!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Another fun Nick Beggs getup!

Wrong!

...but I should have been clear, although I thought it obvious I meant going forward

BG
    No, it was not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think it's rather obvious that he was saying this will probably be the last time you'll get to see a core member of Genesis playing these songs live.
    No, it's only obvious if someone says what they mean.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    not to me it wasn't. Next Saturday I'm going to see Core members of Peter Gabriels early band playing the all the early shit. I never thought I'd see that, but alas there it is. Either way - with Hackett - IT'S ALL GOOD