Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R.I.P. Larry Coryell

Regarding which board this post should be on...

STOP !!!

Before PE v3.0 even went live, we said that all RIP notices would be in this forum.

In fact this forum's description reads:

Off-Topic (OT) - Music And Arts
    Off-Topic (OT) - discussions about other forms of music and arts. Includes threads with Lists of ... whatever. (Post music-related RIP notices here.)

I am going to go through the main board and move any RIPs from there back to this board, where they belong.

Please understand:

This is NOT a measure of disrespect to any artist, regardless of how important they were in your world, and regardless of whether they were prog or fusion.

This is just a reset, making sure the board works as designed.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 02-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Duncan you should also add, "the search function is your friend".

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Duncan you should also add, "the search function is your friend".
    As well as the fact that if the specific board a post was made on is of any consequence to you, then you are not using the "new posts" feature (which means you're probably not using the site very efficiently).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    As well as the fact that if the specific board a post was made on is of any consequence to you, then you are not using the "new posts" feature (which means you're probably not using the site very efficiently).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Progbear wrote:
    "I really need more of this man’s music. To date, I only own Introducing the Eleventh House, which is first-rate stuff. Some more of that très cool Vanguard cover art, too (and I just got done talking about Flying Island)."

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mmmhh!!!.... Outside the three/four 11th House albums, the Debut called Coryell, Live At Village Gate, Barefoot Boy and Offering are the obvious early albums to get

among the early collab albums Spaces (this is sometimes listed as a Coryell album), Meeting of the Spirits (guitar trio with PDL and McL) and The Free Spirits (67)
    Plus 2 more w/Steve Marcus:

- Steve Marcus ‎– Count's Rock Band (1969)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9_...4Gi7gnWhYXUqER

- Larry Coryell/Steve Smith/Steve Marcus/Kai Eckhardt - Count's Jam Band Reunion (2001)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHJn...YXUqER&index=8
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Wow, wow, wow...

LC looms large in my life. When I first started getting out of my comfort zone of rock, metal and prog during high school, I heard Mahavishnu Orchestra / Birds Of Fire. Like so many others I was gobsmacked and knew I "need more music like that". A friend suggested Miles Davis, Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell as being good next steps. I bought "Live-Evil" by Miles and needed many, many listens before I could make any sense of it. I borrowed a copy of Al Di's "Elegant Gypsy and thought "it was OK" (an album and artist I now worship) and LC's Vanguard Two-fer "The Essential Larry Coryell". I was instantly smitten and nearly as obsessed with LC as I was with John McLaughlin. I'm a fan for life.

I was lucky to have seen LC a couple of times. Once opening for John McLaughlin's One Truth Band (LC was solo acoustic with one solo electric number, Jim Pepper's "Witchi Tai-to") and again also solo acoustic at a blues club in Detroit.

He will be missed. Rest In Power.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Wow, wow, wow...

LC looms large in my life. When I first started getting out of my comfort zone of rock, metal and prog during high school, I heard Mahavishnu Orchestra / Birds Of Fire. Like so many others I was gobsmacked and knew I "need more music like that". A friend suggested Miles Davis, Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell as being good next steps. I bought "Live-Evil" by Miles and needed many, many listens before I could make any sense of it. I borrowed a copy of Al Di's "Elegant Gypsy and thought "it was OK" (an album and artist I now worship) and LC's Vanguard Two-fer "The Essential Larry Coryell". I was instantly smitten and nearly as obsessed with LC as I was with John McLaughlin. I'm a fan for life.

I was lucky to have seen LC a couple of times. Once opening for John McLaughlin's One Truth Band (LC was solo acoustic with one solo electric number, Jim Pepper's "Witchi Tai-to") and again also solo acoustic at a blues club in Detroit.

He will be missed. Rest In Power.
    Nice post!
    Back when all that music was new, the great stations (like WNEW-FM in NYC) presented it as simply music. No labels were needed. No prejudice was applied. It was all blended together and seen as multiple variations of music...as it should be.

But beware, usually, any mention of Al Dimeola here results in reply posts of "he is a hack, just a robot, he only knows three scales, etc." (I am a big fan and find him to be extraordinarily expressive and emotive across a huge range of styles and moods.)