Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Larry Coryell

jesus, i was just reading an interview with him yesterday!!! Sounds like his latest Barefoot Man was a cool project. RIP Mr Coryel

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    As posted by Gary Husband on social media. Coryell was 73.
    Terrible!
    I was fortunate enough to have seen him a number of times in intimate settings. A fine guitarist, composer-musician, and human.

His autobiography is a very good read.

SONOFABITCH !!!

Terrible loss !

I cut my teeth on the Spaces album with John McLaughlin. Glad I got to see him several times.

LOVED the 11th House stuff.

I am sad now.
    G.A.S -aholic

definitely a pioneer of the progressive approach to Rock music

those first 3 11th House albums are Symphonic Fusion at it's best
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Back in the late 70's, Larry would always play "Witchi tai to" as his encore

Witchi-tie-to, gimee rah
    Whoa rah neeko, whoa rah neeko
    Hey ney, hey ney, no way

Witchi-tie-to, gimee rah
    Hey ney, hey ney, no way
    Water spirit feelin'
    Springin' round my head
    Makes me feel glad
    That I'm not dead

Witchi-tie-tie, gimee rah
    Hey ney, hey ney, no way

Hey ney, hey ney, no way

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Back in the late 70's, Larry would always play "Witchi tai to" as his encore

Witchi-tie-to, gimee rah
    Hey ney, hey ney, no way

Witchi-tie-to, gimee rah
    Hey ney, hey ney, no way
    Water spirit feelin'
    Springin' round my head
    Makes me feel glad
    That I'm not dead

Hey ney, hey ney, no way

Hey ney, hey ney, no way
    Written by a great musician and someone who I got to know very well back in the late 1980s - Jim Pepper.

Rest In Peace Larry, played "Spaces" and "Eleventh House" today, what a great musician.

Son of a Beotch. Is 2017 going to take even more legends than 2016 😖. ?
    I had not heard. A bigtime loss.
    I am Happy he was still making the music up to the last day. . .
    regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

This is a rough one. Such a great guitarist and human being. I met him once briefly at Yoshi's in Oakland a few years ago. He greeted
    me like we were old friends. The first time I saw him was my only time at Fillmore East: Mountain and Jack Bruce and Friends- Larry, Mitch Mitchell, Mike Mandel.
    His autobiography is worth reading too. A big loss for the world. We will always have his wonderful music.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I saw him was my only time at Fillmore East: Mountain and Jack Bruce and Friends- Larry, Mitch Mitchell, Mike Mandel.
    I caught that concert, as well. RIP......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I remember when this ad for Mu-tron ran in Guitar Player magazine...

lcgtr.jpg
    G.A.S -aholic

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    In an odd coincidence (?) I was playing a live FM show from Berlin '76 on the a.m. commute the morning of his death...

Sean Powell wrote:

Sorry, trondis. You didn't do anything wrong. But I closed this thread as there are two already that were merged.

============================

and one of the ones that were merged was in the Main board, so why was Larry Coryell relegated to the OT while Deke Leonard stays in the Main board?

The threads for Larry Coryell could have just as easily been merged to the Main board, but someone chose to relegate Larry Coryell to the OT and leave all the other artist's RIP threads on the Main board

hmmmmmm
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I merged it with the thread that was posted first, and didn't even pay attention to what forum it was on. If you can't believe that, it's your problem.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Sean Powell wrote:

Sorry, trondis. You didn't do anything wrong. But I closed this thread as there are two already that were merged.

and one of the ones that were merged was in the Main board, so why was Larry Coryell relegated to the OT while Deke Leonard stays in the Main board?

The threads for Larry Coryell could have just as easily been merged to the Main board, but someone chose to relegate Larry Coryell to the OT and leave all the other artist's RIP threads on the Main board

hmmmmmm
    Sean said-"I hate to disappoint any conspiracy theorists here, but the person who started the original thread (Scott) had it in OT. If you think some travesty of justice has taken place because of what forum someone chooses to show their respect, you need some perspective."

lf the first thread was on the main page I'm sure the next one, started a day later would either not have been started (nor the 3rd one started two days later) or merged on the main page.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I really need more of this man’s music. To date, I only own Introducing the Eleventh House, which is first-rate stuff. Some more of that très cool Vanguard cover art, too (and I just got done talking about Flying Island).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Sean Powell wrote:
    ...so why was Larry Coryell relegated to the OT while Deke Leonard stays in the Main board?
    Actually Deke Leonard should be on the Man Board

Sean Powell wrote:

hmmmmmm
    Why does it matter?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really need more of this man’s music. To date, I only own Introducing the Eleventh House, which is first-rate stuff. Some more of that très cool Vanguard cover art, too (and I just got done talking about Flying Island).
    Mmmhh!!!.... Outside the three/four 11th House albums, the Debut called Coryell, Live At Village Gate, Barefoot Boy and Offering are the obvious early albums to get

among the early collab albums Spaces (this is sometimes listed as a Coryell album), Meeting of the Spirits (guitar trio with PDL and McL) and The Free Spirits (67)

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Actually Deke Leonard should be on the Man Board
    gna-gna-gna-gnaaaahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Why does it matter?
    Yup, it's sooooooooooo .... symph-weenie
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Coryell is one of these guys who I feel has been overshadowed by other players from that same general time period. IMHO, he deserves to me mentioned as an integral part of the development of jazz guitar, every bit as essential as people like John McLaughlin or Al Di Meola.

R.I.P. indeed.

Main board - he was progressive in every sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Coryell is one of these guys who I feel has been overshadowed by other players from that same general time period.
    Part of this, I think, was the general unavailability of some of his better albums. A number of his 1960s and 1970s albums (plus the 2nd 11th House album) either were never released on CD domestically, or were only in print very briefly. The most widely acclaimed of the albums he's appeared on is 'Spaces,' but it's not always credited to him. It also has John McLaughlin on it, which obfuscates Coryell's contributions to all but the tiny handful of listeners who can distinguish between the two in the recording.

Also - and this is just my opinion, but it appears to be at least somewhat shared with the critical consensus - is that by the time Coryell hooked up with a bona-fide fusion band (Eleventh House) and released an album, it was already 1974 and their music, while very good, was not particularly groundbreaking. On top of that, they released only three albums, and only the first two are considered to be good.

I agree with the notion that he is overlooked/underrated in comparison to the other big names in jazz/fusion guitar - especially since his playing is so accessible - but until there were streaming services and Youtube, a good chunk of his music was not available to be heard. So, while everybody else was getting press for their reissues, Coryell kind of got left behind in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Also - and this is just my opinion, but it appears to be at least somewhat shared with the critical consensus - is that by the time Coryell hooked up with a bona-fide fusion band (Eleventh House) and released an album, it was already 1974 and their music, while very good, was not particularly groundbreaking. On top of that, they released only three albums, and only the first two are considered to be good.
    11th House was released on Vanguard Records, not exactly a high profile label. If he had been signed to Columbia, it might have turned out differently. And the album was recorded in '72, so a two year delay before it got released.

The band before 11th House with Steve Marcus and Mike Mandel was good and I think also "bona-fide fusion," but not quite as strong as Mahavishnu or RTF. Oh well, Coryell was a great player and I'm glad I got to see him a couple times in the early 00's.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought this off ebay for $10 (Canadian):
    LARRY-CORYELL-Live-Boston-Jazz-Workshop-11th-house-eleventh-eyes-of-love-SEALED

Any opinions?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.