Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jethro Tull - Stand Up (Steven Wilson remix)

Does anybody know if the vinyl is going to feature te pop-up paper portraits of the band as the original version?

Discogs says so. https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-...elease/9834706
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

^ I can't believe they wouldn't do the stand-ups.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I see there's a version of Bouree' that's called the morgan version. Sounds interesting on the sample. That's the only bonus track that interests me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm sure that distant sound at the beginning of the song is an intentional effect, like a voice coming from the past. I've always loved that, I'd hate for it to be changed.
    Always Sounded to me like the same kind of effect that Anderson tried on the middle section of Aqualung (the track)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I have an original UK vinyl rip of this (along with just about every CD version except for this new SW) and it sounds magnificent. Curious to hear this one.
    I've got the orignal UK vinyl and it sounds awesomely awesome. Amazing how they could dosuch a masterul job on their second and botch up the job for their fourth (not that I'm all that happy about Benefit's production job)

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    What is a little unsettling to me is that in 20 years people may only know Genesis (for example) material from the recent revisionist remixes and not the original versions.
    Are there any 20 yo that even know of Genesis??

Just kidding, but let's face it, it's mostly about the music itself surviving, even if trafficked around

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I have Chrysalis deluxe edition, 2CD + dvd, issued in 2010. It sounds good...
    It sounds ok, not better than most other version...

I don't have the first gen CD version anymore, but I don't recall WTF'ing about any version of Stand Up... It always sounded good to moi

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know there was a "vinyl-ripping community." I hope this means there's also a "vinyl-rip sharing community" as well...
    Ya know, every time I've ripped a vinyl to CD-r, I've gotten a really good result (obviously not better than the vinyl itself, though )

It's really a wonder how the industry can botch up vinyl to CD transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ I can't believe they wouldn't do the stand-ups.
    It's been done before (I don't believe the 2010 3-discs affair had it)

If they wanted to better that, they should create & print the backside of the pop-up
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Always Sounded to me like the same kind of effect that Anderson tried on the middle section of Aqualung (the track)
    I don't think so. The Aqualung middle section is purposely made to sound distant and echo-like, almost like a telephone voice. The opening to We Used To Know just sounds too quiet, at least to my ears. I'm not saying it has to come blasting out of the speakers, but in the context of the album it's just never sounded quite right to me. Martin is mixed unusually high, too. I honestly thought SW would change this, but as was mentioned earlier, perhaps IA did not want that.

It's been done before (I don't believe the 2010 3-discs affair had it)
    That one does have the pop-up, at least in the CD version.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Personally the stereo mixes are inconsequential
    I may be all alone on this, but personally I find most 'remixes' -- especially Steven Wilson's remixes -- don't improve on the originals. Yes, in some cases the instruments are better defined, and yes in some cases you can hear details that were previously obscure. But when I fall in love with a piece of music, especially one I have grown up with and cherished for 40+ years, the mix is a big part of the experience. I don't want to see the Mona Lisa with a scrubbed face, or the Venus de Milo with her arms restored.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ya know, every time I've ripped a vinyl to CD-r, I've gotten a really good result (obviously not better than the vinyl itself, though )
    It doesn't take a whole lot to make a CD-R vinyl rip MUCH BETTER than the original record (removing ticks & pops, filtering out rumble, subtly improving the dynamic range and frequency response).

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I see there's a version of Bouree' that's called the morgan version. Sounds interesting on the sample. That's the only bonus track that interests me.
    Listening to it on iTunes, the changes are subtle at best. Ian's flute sounds like it might be an earlier, less-developed take.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Listening to it on iTunes, the changes are subtle at best. Ian's flute sounds like it might be an earlier, less-developed take.
    The whole thing is a different take, recorded at Morgan Studios, where the rest of the album was recorded. The album version was recorded the next day at Olympic (Morgan apparently being unavailable that day).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I like the Olympic better. Ian's in better form. The rest of the backing sounds indistinguishable to these ears.

I buy these entirely for the remixes and bonus content. I don't have an optimal environment to enjoy surround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a very fine line -- thin, but very well-defined -- between "remastering" and "remixing." George Martin did a WONDERFUL job of stripping away layers of varnish from the original Beatles recordings to reveal the pristine beauty of the original mixes.

At the other end of the spectrum you have George Lucas and his tinkering with Star Wars.

At the other end of the spectrum you have George Lucas and his tinkering with Star Wars.
    I heard from fans that this was blasphemous. I don't know anything about it, but wonder why he would do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That one does have the pop-up, at least in the CD version.
    I stand corrected then

It doesn't take a whole lot to make a CD-R vinyl rip MUCH BETTER than the original record (removing ticks & pops, filtering out rumble, subtly improving the dynamic range and frequency response).
    but that needs technology and filters (which produced their own noise), and I didn't have those at my disposal. (not that I would care to, anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

but that needs technology and filters (which produced their own noise)
    Not digital filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I heard from fans that this was blasphemous. I don't know anything about it, but wonder why he would do this.
    He says he was always bothered by not having the time and money to do the special effects the way he envisioned them... but that doesn't excuse making Greedo shoot first.

There's a very fine line -- thin, but very well-defined -- between "remastering" and "remixing." George Martin did a WONDERFUL job of stripping away layers of varnish from the original Beatles recordings to reveal the pristine beauty of the original mixes.

SW does a wonderful job of preserving the feel of the original recording. His stuff is typical very reverent. If you want to her Lucas-ian remixing, check out some of the horrific stuff Zappa did to Were Only in it for the Money, Hot Rats and Ruben and the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarKco View Post
    Does anybody know if the vinyl is going to feature te pop-up paper portraits of the band as the original version?

Discogs says so. https://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-...elease/9834706
    Yes, indeed it does have the pop-up and the whole package is beautiful with the usual full-size booklet with stories, interviews, great photos etc. The Tull LP reissues are amongst the best packages so far.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The likes of Richard Carpenter and Frank Zappa occasionally went beyond remixing and went into full-on re-recording, with crappy 80s sounds polluting their great work of earlier decades. Such a shame.

There are also abominations like those Free remixes with that terrible 80s drum sound.

I would say Wilson at least shows greater sensitivity than that, although I admit the amount of his remixes I have I could count on one hand. Unless an original mix was grossly deficient, I can't think of a case in music history where I would prefer to have a remix over the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    The Tull LP reissues are amongst the best packages so far.
    Except for Benefit-- No booklet, no notes, no nothin'. LP sounds great, though.