Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir Nick Faldo at Genesis Open

Lucky Man
    Sir Nick just did it again.

Idly watching early coverage of Jack Nicklaus' Memorial, they're about to sign off and suddenly as someone is taking a probably unnecessary gamble Faldo goes into second verse quoting of I Know What I Like.

"'Listen son, you're wasting time. There's a future for you in the fire escape trade. Come up to town!' But I remembered a voice from the past. 'Gambling only pays when you're winning.'"

He then proceeded to tell what sounded like a fairly bewildered Terry Gannon, who is very good at what he does, that he could go on quoting "for the rest of the day."

Alright, which one of you jokers is Mr. Faldo?

After hearing this, I dutifully and almost instantly reported back here, to this thread, which I had read, to report yet further incident to you.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, I'm really not up on my European golfers and golf commentators! Shame on me.
    That's not the point, Jed.

In less time than it takes you to post here, you could Google Nick Faldo, or anything for that matter, and have an answer without the from your sitemates.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    That's not the point, Jed.

In less time than it takes you to post here, you could Google Nick Faldo, or anything for that matter, and have an answer without the from your sitemates.
    Oh, those new fangledy interwebs anyway, dagnabbit!

Just for the record, I didn't know who Sir Nick Faldo was, either.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-04-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought he was a fictional character, maybe from a song from the first Genesis album I had ignored. It didn’t occur to me he was a real personage who might have his own listing in Wikipedia.

Of course, a quick Google search would have......

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Of course, a quick Google search would have......
    Of course, the OP actually saying who the frell the guy was would have...

I'm sick of this attitude that one frelling explanatory sentence is too much to ask. Like somehow you guys are too busy to just give a simple answer to a question.

If we're supposed to just use Google everytime we have a question about something, then what the frell is the point of a site like this?!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Of course, the OP actually saying who the frell the guy was would have...

I'm sick of this attitude that one frelling explanatory sentence is too much to ask. Like somehow you guys are too busy to just give a simple answer to a question.

If we're supposed to just use Google everytime we have a question about something, then what the frell is the point of a site like this?!
    Lmao. Actually a quick google search wasn't even necessary because the OP had supplied a Twitter link where one click would have led any confused and befuddled reader to this:
    "Sir Nick Faldo:
    Golfer, broadcaster, course designer
    , teacher -- fitness advocate - Check out nickfaldo.com and Nick Faldo Network on Facebook - Faldo006 on instagram
    nickfaldo.com"

Short of one of us coming over and spoon feeding the reader his Rice Krispies, how many more clues does one need? Plus, some may be not completely convinced that all these "who's _____?" are not part of a schtick....

add-by the way, I am very glad to have the OP point out these prog references during a golf broadcast, as I would have never known Faldo did this unless someone pointed it out because I am anything but a diehard golf fan and do not watch enough golf to have noticed. I usually only watch the last day of the Masters and maybe the last day of the US Open, and only very casually. Even with that limited exposure to golf broadcasts, I certainly know who Faldo is; and Tiger, and Jack, and Arnold, and even guys like Couples and Kite etc etc.., because I try to be, well, generally aware of the world around me.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 06-04-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Lmao. Actually a quick google search wasn't even necessary because the OP had supplied a Twitter link where one click would have led any confused and befuddled reader to this:
    "Sir Nick Faldo:
    Golfer, broadcaster, course designer, teacher -- fitness advocate - Check out nickfaldo.com and Nick Faldo Network on Facebook - Faldo006 on instagram
    nickfaldo.com"

Short of one of us coming over and spoon feeding the reader his Rice Krispies, how many more clues does one need? Plus, some may be not completely convinced that all these "who's _____?" are not part of a schtick....
    I assure you I can only name probably three professional golfers. Well, four now. What bugs me is the "How can you not be familiar with all professional golfers?" attitude. I really think it's a minority of the population that is familiar with the professional golfers who aren't sex addicts or have beverages named after them. Also, this thread should have been on the Way Off-Topic board, then it would have been a little more clear it had nothing to do with the band Genesis despite the subject line.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Am I the only one who's never heard of him?
    Neither had I.

I don't know who Harvey Finkleburke is.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Isn't he related to Pimple Flopwookie?

Is their favorite band Plink-Plonk, or Plonk-Plink?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is their favorite band Plink-Plonk, or Plonk-Plink?
    Have you been watching too much The Price Is Right?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

he looks a little like actor Ben Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Have you been watching too much The Price Is Right?
    Fancy a game of pachinko?

Tiger today at the PGA?

or Koepka?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Isn't he related to Pimple Flopwookie?

Koepka has it in the bag. Good effort by Tiger.

My wife was at the PGA on Wednesday and Thursday getting a behind the scenes tour of the broadcast infrastructure. Now we're hooked on watching the conclusion of the tournament. It's been a good one!

Bill

Koepka is having one helluva year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm no golf nut by any stretch of the imagination, but with this major tourney something the StL area rarely gets, and with Bellerive being about 10 miles away from my backyard, I watched more golf this weekend than I have in decades, especially with Tiger being right in the hunt. If Tiger pulls off the victory, would have been one of the most memorable historic tournaments ever. Still very dramatic to be that close.
    StL got good pub, as the crowds were huge and the announcers and players have raved about the enthusiasm all week. I think Tiger really fed off the enthusiasm from the gallery.

it was very fun to watch.

With how well he played this week and at the Open Championship, he seems likely to finally win another Major. And he likely will break Sam Snead's record for career tournaments won (he's at 79. Snead had 82).

Koepka though, seems to be the best player on the planet right now.

3 majors in 2 years, and before the age of 29.

Now the conversation seems to be who will be the best players/players who may find their careers in similar company with Tiger, Jack, Watson, etc in the next 10 or more years. And if Tiger does not break Nicklaus 18 career majors record, who may?

Rory Mcilroy
    Jordan Spieth
    Brooks Koepka

What was amazing was how well Tiger scored despite not hitting the fairways with his tee shots. If he just corrects a few of those errant drives, he wins. (of course, the match was so close a lot of players could have said that). I think he will win at least another major or 2 but I still think topping Nicklaus' 18 will be tough. If Tiger doesn't do it within the next 5 years, to this semi-educated golf viewer, I think its going to be very hard for anyone to be so dominant for as long a time as Woods was in order to break Nicklaus' 18, because I think there are so many good players spread around winning majors you just won't see that kind of dominance for a long time.

When you see this list of selected iconic players and see how few (relatively speaking to Tiger and Nicklaus) majors they won over their careers, you realize how daunting a task it is to even reach double digit majors, much less 18:

Couples 1
    G Norman 2
    Hale Irwin 3
    Mickelson 5
    Faldo 6
    Palmer 7
    Tom Watson 8

Until I looked up the list of majors winners, I would have thought Arnold Palmer had won more majors--Tiger has doubled him.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-13-2018 at 12:56 AM.