My extended analysis of No-Man/Henry Fool singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Tim Bowness' latest solo album, the progressive rock concept album Lost in the Ghost Light, today at All About Jazz.

It's a somewhat hidden truth that a sizeable percentage of any musician's fan base believes that the music their favorite artists make is a direct reflection of their tastes. While an artist's music ought, indeed, be a reflection of what moves them, it's another truth that, more often than not, their listening habits run much farther afield.

One way to develop a more thorough appreciation for an artist's tastes, touchstones and influences is to look at their entire discography, assuming they've been around long enough to build one sizeable enough to tell a more complete tale. Still, even looking at discography that is now entering its fourth decade doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, as is the case with Tim Bowness.

Lost in the Ghost Light is Bowness' third solo release since 2014's Abandoned Dancehall Dreams (Inside Out)--his first "real" solo album despite releasing My Hotel Year in 2004, which Bowness describes, in the 2017 All About Jazz interview that accompanies this review, as ..."pieces from several separate projects I was working on in the early 2000s. It's a solo album in name mainly, though I did define its shape and sound,"

Lost in the Ghost Light shares certain unmistakable stylistic commonalities with the British singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist's previous two records, and his work in No-Man, Bowness' longstanding collaboration with fellow solo artist Steven Wilson that, on hiatus since 2008, may well be firing back up in the near-to-mid-range future. At the same time, it represents something completely different in Bowness' discography, whether it's solo, as co-leader of groups including No-Man, Henry Fool (along with Ghost Light compositional collaborator/keyboardist/guitarist Stephen Bennett) and his duo project with bassist/keyboardist Peter Chilvers, or as a guest with groups including Centrozoon, Opium Cartel and Darkroom and singer Judy Dyble.

Continue reading here...