Thread: Steve Hackett of Genesis Is a Revelation in Nashville - SHOW REVIEW

Steve Hackett of Genesis Is a Revelation in Nashville - SHOW REVIEW

Spectacular setlist. So disappointed there are no D.C. dates this time around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice article

thx 4 sharing
    G.A.S -aholic

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Spock's Beard is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    One show in Canada (Oakville), which is already sold out. I'd go to see a heavily W&W oriented setlist, but if it doesn't happen I'll live.

Yeah me too, but sure rather see it than not. WW one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, the sold-out International turnout for Neal's Morsefest in 2016 proved that they are legendary in some parts for sure...

I'll be attending the Royal Oak, MI show which I believe is the final show of the U.S. leg of the tour.

Very bummed, he is skipping Albany NY this time around, and he has been here I believe his last 3-4 tours. Maybe he is hitting different areas and venues this time around.

I would love to see a tour emphasizing W&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, that one had me scratching my head as well.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Very bummed, he is skipping Albany NY this time around, and he has been here I believe his last 3-4 tours. Maybe he is hitting different areas and venues this time around.

I would love to see a tour emphasizing W&W.
    If you are free tomorrow night, drive down to Ithaca where he is playing for the first time! Not sold out.

Hey one question: for a Hackett/GR show does it make more sense to be as close as possible to the stage or a little further back so you can take it all in? Also does L or R matter? The hall is a 1200 seat theater. Pretty good acoustics, though this will be the first full-volume rock show I'll see there.

I'll buy my ticket at the Ithaca show tomorrow. There are still a few singleton seats fairly close. And the back of the hall is pretty empty right now. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $ and the crowd to be close up.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In the Mirror Universe.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Hey one question: for a Hackett/GR show does it make more sense to be as close as possible to the stage or a little further back so you can take it all in? Also does L or R matter? The hall is a 1200 seat theater. Pretty good acoustics, though this will be the first full-volume rock show I'll see there.

I'll buy my ticket at the Ithaca show tomorrow. There are still a few singleton seats fairly close. And the back of the hall is pretty empty right now. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $ and the crowd to be close up.
    Not much of a show to see from far back, and I like to be able to see what Hackett's doing with his hands. But, as long as the sound is good it doesn't matter too much. Hackett stays in the center.

Were they selling his new CD "The Night Siren" in the lobby by chance?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looking forward to Sunday night in Boston!

I saw Steve Hackett on Friday night in Reading, PA. Absolutely phenomenal show, with the exception of the idiots around me who were on their phones the entire time. I saw Hackett twice before at NEARFest but Friday's show was by far my favorite time I've seen him, and definitely worth the three hour drive as I live in the middle of nowhere and have to travel to see decent shows. A killer band performing a killer setlist.

I'm definitely going to make an effort to see him more often in the future, and now I'm motivated to get more of his solo records. I only have Acolyte and Spectral Mornings - does anyone have suggestions about where to go from there?
    David J. Wimer, author of The Seatopia Trilogy

My wife and I will be seeing Steve on Friday 03-03-17 in Buffalo, NY., with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. Hoping the full current band members will be performing also. Really excited and looking forward to the show.

Scott
    RadioSpiral: http://www.mrspiral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
    I'm definitely going to make an effort to see him more often in the future, and now I'm motivated to get more of his solo records. I only have Acolyte and Spectral Mornings - does anyone have suggestions about where to go from there?
    That is -- or has been -- a thread unto itself (paging the old PE lists!)

But if you like those two I'd recommend Defector and Please Don't Touch, in that order. That will round out his 70s' solo output.

After that it gets more complicated. But of his post-70s output I'd next recommend 1993's Guitar Noir as a starting point. He sort of wandered aimlessly through the 80s, trying to be true to his proggy roots but also trying to be more commercial with predictable results. It wasn't until the 90's that he realized that was all a waste of time, and he's been on a steady roll ever since.

If you really insist on checking out his 80s stuff at some point go back and pick up Highly Strung, plus his classical guitar albums Momentum and Bay of Kings if you're into that side of his work. From that point on it's buyer beware (see the recent Til We Have Faces thread).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
    I saw Steve Hackett on Friday night in Reading, PA. Absolutely phenomenal show, with the exception of the idiots around me who were on their phones the entire time. I saw Hackett twice before at NEARFest but Friday's show was by far my favorite time I've seen him, and definitely worth the three hour drive as I live in the middle of nowhere and have to travel to see decent shows. A killer band performing a killer setlist.

I may be in the minority here, but I think his more recent stuff has been his best. Pretty much every album from "Darktown" onwards has been solid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    In the Mirror Universe.
    HA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I think his more recent stuff has been his best. Pretty much every album from "Darktown" onwards has been solid IMO.
    I'm with you--especially love the last two, "Beyond the Shrouded Horizon" and "Wolflight."

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    I'm with you--especially love the last two, "Beyond the Shrouded Horizon" and "Wolflight."
    In preparation for tomorrow night's show I went through Steve's discography over the last week. Along with those two I really love "Out Of The Tunnels Mouth" and "Darktown". Some of his best songwriting can be found on those two albums IMO.

New radio interview with Steve Hackett - April 2017: