Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters new album - "Is This The Life We Really Want?"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Who? ... joking of course. But to answer your question, do not feel anything about him since I pretty much do not know his music or his views and really am not interested in it. I think I saw him at the concert once with Kansas, or maybe Deep Purple or Motorhead? ... I could be wrong there, but think he was the guy in the Indian outfit with a bow and arrow. There was nothing political or otherwise though.

But seriously, my comment goes for both sides, independent of their views. To have political views is not bodering me that much, even if manifested in songs. If I do not like it, I will simply avoid it. But if someone, like Waters on this album, is attacking / calling people ... let's say names, it really hits hard. Just like to point it out. If someone calls it brilliant then they simply do not even notice it ... which is bad enough, but does not really surprise me anymore. Anyway, we are not here to discuss politics so let's leave it at that ... everyone to his / her views / opinions.

"I don't like it when Neil gets all political . . . . I like it when he sings songs like 'Ohio' "
    2trevorsforlife

I'll be controversial, I really have come to despise Waters, he seems to be full of poisonous vitriol whether for his old bandmates or because of his political views. To my ears the last great Floyd album that he was a part of was Wish You Were Here and I can't help thinking he's made a huge career out of very little talent. Just my opinion.

I'm on board saying this is a real good album. I really like that the keyboards and even the cello, are given a more prominent role. For those who tire of his message, back in '83 when The Final Cup was released, I was talking to my friend about TFC. After Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut, all of which I'm a big fan of, I wished sometimes Waters would just shut up. The next day he brought in Tangerine Dream's Thief, and I was hooked. TD had a new fan and the whole new (to me) world of instrumental music was at my door. But that's story for another day. Back on point, the sentiment that Waters sometimes lets the words get in the way of the music, hasn't changed with Waters' solo albums. The difference being the they are even more wordy than his later version of Pink Floyd.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-18-2021 at 04:48 PM.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I'm on board saying this is a real good album. I really like that the keyboards and even the cello, are given a more prominent role. For those who tire of his message, back in '83 when The Final Cup was released, I was talking to my friend about TFC. After Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut, all of which I'm a big fan of, I wished sometimes Waters would just shut up. The next day he brought in Tangerine Dream's Thief, and I was hooked and TD had a new fan. The sentiment that Waters sometimes lets the words get in the way of the music, hasn't changed with Waters' solo albums. The difference being the they are even more wordy than his later version of Pink Floyd.
    Totally acknowledge this Isles-bro.

I just happen to think that AtD may be his best album-wide set o lyrics in his career.

One reason I have not heard the new disc is that I have an expectation of disappoinment at both the lyric and music side of the fence

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

One reason I have not heard the new disc is that I have an expectation of disappoinment at both the lyric and music side of the fence
    No need to fear. Both music and lyrics on this one are great quality. And I don't miss guitar soios at all as some here seem to do.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I have a hard time going back to that album (ITTLWRW). I understand why it can be viewed as brilliant or awful. I tend to find it boring.
    Nigel Godrich's production choices are interesting, but they highlight Waters' weaknesses IMHO. Those stripped down arrangements underline the wordy, obsessive and unimaginative aspects of RW's work.
    I don't feel at ease with the way he seems to have evolved in the last ten years or so. I liked the spirit I felt in the In The Flesh tour era, around the short PF reunion and in the interviews of that time. He seemed to take the high road, he sounded more relaxed and mature. I thought there was potential in material like "Each Small Candle". Then I found the extremely narcissistic nature of the Wall film annoying. On ITTLWRW and in the current era, he's on "angry old man" mode, lots of swearing and heavy-handed political views, and I don't connect much with that. (My loss probably, not a big deal.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, finally got around to listening to “Is this the Life We Really Want?” Can’t judge on just one listen, but it sounds like Roger on autopilot. And isn’t the last song largely the same as the last song on Radio KAOS?
    based on the various comments floating about, the album sounds like it would have been better titled "Is this the Soapbox We Really Want?"

I didnt mind soapboxing during the first 10 years of Punk and Hardcore but I'm not sure I want to hear that in less aggressive/more artsy music

I mean, if he's squishing Trump between his toes... well, isnt that just lazy? Trump does that better than anyone. We dont need a talented musician to do that.

Hopefully there are no Trumparinas on this thread. That dude is simply a moron
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 09-17-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    <words that belong elsewhere on other boards>
    FFS people...what part of "keep politics out" do you not understand?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I just happen to think that AtD may be his best album-wide set o lyrics in his career.

ATD is definitely a great one, but it's definitely one of those "need to concentrate 100% on it", especially if you want to follow Waters' messages.

That's why I like Is This... better. It's not quite as demanding, more straightforward, like Floyd was in the Dark Side until The Wall era.

Known here and there as a Waters supporter against Waters-haters, I must say that TFC, P&C, KAOS and ATD concepts are not easily graspable and I totally understand why some are WTF'ing over the concepts and less musical-soundscape compared to what came before-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    No need to fear. Both music and lyrics on this one are great quality. And I don't miss guitar solos at all as some here seem to do.
    Yeah, part of the critics of Waters' solo stuff seems to be the lack of great guitar solos or just any guitar solos (whether great or not).
    I don't miss them, but my main critic in Waters' post Floyd stuff (TFC included, if it can make happy some here), is the fact that there isn't much instrumental space ala Floyd. At least certainly not enough to my tastes. Gilmour has written some good/ok instrumental pieces since their parting, but otherwise, he's mostly written fairly traditional songs format (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-verse-chorus-like). It seems neither are capable to repeat stuff like WYWH without each other (and Wright).

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I have a hard time going back to that album (ITTLWRW). I understand why it can be viewed as brilliant or awful. I tend to find it boring.
    Nigel Godrich's production choices are interesting, but they highlight Waters' weaknesses IMHO. Those stripped down arrangements underline the wordy, obsessive and unimaginative aspects of RW's work.
    Well, an artiste has things to say, and while Roger goes political (always has since DSOTM), I find him one of the best lyrics writer around.
    I can understand it's not what one looks in their music, but we'd all hate that Roger sings Be-Bop-A-Lula Roll Over Beethoven Cum'on & Feel The Noiz, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Hopefully there are no Trumparinas on this thread. That dude is simply a moron
    A dangerous moron ... and we may not be finished with him yet.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well it is quite difficult when discussing Waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I must say that TFC, P&C, KAOS and ATD concepts are not easily graspable
    I'm not interested in his concepts, graspable or not, I want some music I can enjoy rather than whiny monologues.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

It seems neither are capable to repeat stuff like WYWH without each other (and Wright).
    This I 100% agree with.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well it is quite difficult when discussing Waters.
    Oh, agreed 100% on that

Regardless of my feelings for or against RW's causes, targets and heroes...I personally feel his strength as a lyricist is nowhere near as subtle as it once was and becomes overbearing fairly quickly. And the lack of balance between lyrical and musical focus on his last album definitely impacted my appreciation of the album. There are moments that get close, like on "Bird in a Gale" for me.

Thing is, plenty of folks have found ways to express that without being petty and immature, and essentially baiting folks into bickering. Which is what MT did. Which is stupid.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

More venom from Roger.. geez this guy needs therapy.. https://www.loudersound.com/news/rog...k0S0J8WFEyvHAs

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    More venom from Roger.. geez this guy needs therapy.. https://www.loudersound.com/news/rog...k0S0J8WFEyvHAs
    He should really put a lid on it.

Somehow, I choose to +/- believe this
    “Well, David (Gilmour, guitar) and Rick (Wright, keyboards) mainly were always trying to drag me down,” Waters says. “They were always trying to knock me off.”

Waters claims that his former bandmates would tell him that he was “tone-deaf” and “didn’t understand music”.
    But....
    “They were very snotty and snippy because they felt very insignificant, I think,” he surmises.
    At least he says: "I think"

Not sure I want to spend 1h20" listening to this podcast - even if the first few minutes sound informative

Edit: (listening to the podcast while teleworking after all)
    actually, this is pure crap from Prog (a cousin of Classy Crock "Oshit"). Roger is quite humorous and quite nice and entertainin. He spent 99% not talking of Floyd and the words were almost put into his mouth by the "journalist"

Sooo the fucking writer took out the three sentences out of the context to spill shit all over the Floyd planet once more.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-17-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hard to do when talking Roger Waters, isn't it?

Especially because the whole thing is a bit disingenuous - It's obvious to me when someone is dissing the album, trying hard to sound objective, but obviously bothered by the criticism of the nincompoop ( Roger's words, not mine! ). TBF, all of that was pretty easy to predict - the criticism of the orange one on the part of Roger, the reaction of part of the audience for that criticism, the pounding of the album because of that, and yes, the "let's see if we can convince this is objective" part re: how the criticism is worded... I also don't believe that anyone in a rock forum taking issue with THAT criticism, would not know of Ted Nugent's shtick...

All Roger's intention, my guess... guy doesn't hide who he is and how he thinks... to expect him to remain neutral... that is not knowing Roger Waters.

My evaluation? well, objectively ( ) , is nothing more and nothing less than a typical solo Roger album... sometimes I like it, sometimes, I want a bit more...

Trying to be, hmm, more than objective... neutral... not so confrontational... l hope I succeeded.

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    nincompoop ( Roger's words, not mine! ).
    And such a silly word to use in the middle of all that furious bile and anger. It really jars!

My problem with this album is its lack of originality in the arrangements- it sounds like an AI dissected all the PF post DSOTM / RW solo and spewed out the songs. Its very distracting for me as each second note sounds like a deja vu- I do not get this feeling when listening to ATD, which has its flaws but still for me surpasses "is this the life" in most aspects.

Roger is very angry like many of us. He uses his art to express his anger. I never saw any rule that people had to agree with him.

Whether one likes his politics or not, to suggest he has no talent displays one's own bias. He is one of the most brilliant lyricist of our generation.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'll be controversial, I really have come to despise Waters, he seems to be full of poisonous vitriol whether for his old bandmates or because of his political views. To my ears the last great Floyd album that he was a part of was Wish You Were Here and I can't help thinking he's made a huge career out of very little talent. Just my opinion.
    I have also come to despise Waters, but this paints with too broad a brush. The Wall and even The Final Cut were much more personal than political. Any judgement that disparages “Mother”, “Hey You” and “Comfortably Numb” is ipso facto mistaken.

Waters made a conscious decision to move away from the personal after PF, and we can see the results.

Jon Neudorf
    To say Waters has very little talent is amazing to me. I cannot put into words how strongly I disagree with that statement.

I would never say he little talent. I just have no use for anything he has done after The Wall. It bores me and leaves me cold. It has nothing to do with politics. I agree with him on some things and disagree with him on others, as I do with everyone else. The day I start agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on everything is the day I better examine my prejudices. And there is nobody living who I would put on a pedestal and worship because of their art or beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And such a silly word to use in the middle of all that furious bile and anger. It really jars!
    actually, that word makes me smile everytime I hear it (and not just in Waters' mouth, because it's probably too nice to whom he was directing it)... And I never stopped using it a few times a year since I've became aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Roger is very angry like many of us. He uses his art to express his anger. I never saw any rule that people had to agree with him.

Whether one likes his politics or not, to suggest he has no talent displays one's own bias. He is one of the most brilliant lyricist of our generation.
    Indeed. And apparently, from that podcast, he's planning on publishing a poetry book - Or maybe the Classy Crock journo managed o extract something not fully thought-of from Waters.

Not expecting him to be on the level of Rimbaud or Baudelaire, but it should be interesting, given his acerb take on life.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    To say Waters has very little talent is amazing to me. I cannot put into words how strongly I disagree with that statement.
    Yup.

The day I start agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on everything is the day I better examine my prejudices. And there is nobody living who I would put on a pedestal and worship because of their art or beliefs.
    A-men says the atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Well said!
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, finally got around to listening to “Is this the Life We Really Want?” Can’t judge on just one listen, but it sounds like Roger on autopilot. And isn’t the last song largely the same as the last song on Radio KAOS?
    I think it might be Roger's best. Still pull it out from time to time.

Totally acknowledge this Isles-bro.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Definitely give the album a spin. I like the slightly more orchestrated and keyboard oriented music of this album. Would a fellow Isles fan steer you wrong? Amused To Death has some stunning moments especially with Jeff Beck. "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" gets me every time. My fav RW solo song is "What God Wants Part III". But like all of his solo output, some songs don't do anything except make a background for his mostly spoken ideas. That's why AtD and the rest of his solo work is range from good to very good for me. My guess is you will think ITTLWRW will fall behind AtD but still a good listen.
    Last edited by Tangram; 09-18-2021 at 05:54 PM.

I'd really like to know how Roger would in any way know what kind of life a person such as me would really want. I'm retired after 42 years of working at the same company, just trying to hold my own with the wife and 4 kids, maintain the house, the cars, the taxes and all that goes with it. As opposed to the life of someone that was in the upper echelon of the rock dynasty with what ever rewards come with that. I really respect the work that he does on behalf of charities and having the kids onstage for the show ( I can't even afford to see the show let alone be in it) but it is a little frustrating sometimes for someone (any one really) pondering what it is I really want. I don't think they have a clue.

That being said I love watching his concerts on You tube or on the DVD's that I have, I might say nobody does it better and that goes for all the other bands who work so hard to entertain us. Without all of that I probably would not even know what I want. As if I ever did in the first place.