Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "new" Genesis stereo mixes...

The "new" Genesis stereo mixes...

The ones I see on Spotify- were those the ones Steven Wilson did?

Banned
    No

Steven Wilson never remixed Genesis. That was Nick Davis, I believe.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Ahh. Ok. In any case, the Davis remixes are the ones on Spotify?

Banned
    For those who didn't get the chance to buy the SACD 5.1 remixes, starting in 2014 they were released on Bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    The ones I see on Spotify- were those the ones Steven Wilson did?
    He never did them. It's a shame that they weren't done a few years later because by then Wilson had a reputation for doing remixes (the first ones I remember were his King Crimson ones). I've no doubt whatsoever I would have vastly preferred Wilson's take on them, even though I'm not a big remix guy myself.

There's still a chance, I guess. It's pretty much ten years since most of those Davis Genesis remixes were done.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There's still a chance, I guess. It's pretty much ten years since most of those Davis Genesis remixes were done.
    Sure, let's go for another round of super definitive remixes and push the original mixes further into oblivion.
    😉

^Well obviously I agree. I can't stand the idea of any remixes being the only versions in print. But at least Wilson doesn't go in for that 'pumped up' sound that Davis did.

I would much, much prefer the original mixes were back in print myself. But failing that...

Which Genesis cd editions have the best sound ?
    The remixes sound "forced" to me

It would be great if Wilson were to have a crack at the Genesis catalogue. Those Davis stereo mixes were ear bleed unlistenable. Though if the band members thought they were Ok I suppose its unikely there would be another crack at them. WTF were they hearing when they heard these back....? I am at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    It would be great if Wilson were to have a crack at the Genesis catalogue. Those Davis stereo mixes were ear bleed unlistenable. Though if the band members thought they were Ok I suppose its unikely there would be another crack at them. WTF were they hearing when they heard these back....? I am at a loss.
    Expect someone to give you a tirade for posting this. Although I fully agree.

Bits of the Gabriel set were, believe it or not, somewhere within the vicinity of being listenable compared with the atrocity he made of Trick Of The Tail- a beautiful recording originally, IMHO. But throughout this series I don't care for the sonic choices he made and the band presumably approved...or possibly they themselves were to blame! The vocals are way too high up in the mix, they don't blend with the band as well as they did. The drum sound is consistently overcooked. And there were various omissions and mistakes made.

I had to re-evaluate my feelings on the production of the early albums when I found the old 80s masterings. I could only then conclude the flaws have been down to subsequent fiddling- heavy-handed noise reduction on the 90s reissues and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Which Genesis cd editions have the best sound ?
    The remixes sound "forced" to me
    Also, the original U.K. And Then There Were Three... cr is the way to go. It actually has bass on it!

^Several years ago I found a load of the older, 80s discs (not the very first pressings but still) without the covers for pennies. They almost all sound great.

For the record I wasn't that bothered by the stereo remixes when they were kept to their own packages- way back when, they came out as SACD/DVD sets and in those 'garage' boxes. The problem for me began when the originals were taken out of circulation and replaced with these- criminal.

I'd love to see the original mixes given the TLC that, say, The Beatles/solo and Pink Floyd catalogues have had...obviously they are much bigger sellers but that kind of standard is what I'd like to see. Unfortunately they just don't seem to care about any of it- bear in mind this is a band that doesn't even really have a website! Steve Hackett has successfully toured exclusively 70s Genesis material, there's still a lot of love for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Sure, let's go for another round of super definitive remixes and push the original mixes further into oblivion.
    ��
    If Steven Wilson did get to remaster the Genesis catalog, he would probably include the original mixes of the albums as a bonus (as he has done on all his other 5.1 remix projects).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Expect someone to give you a tirade for posting this. Although I fully agree.

Bits of the Gabriel set were, believe it or not, somewhere within the vicinity of being listenable compared with the atrocity he made of Trick Of The Tail- a beautiful recording originally, IMHO. But throughout this series I don't care for the sonic choices he made and the band presumably approved...or possibly they themselves were to blame! The vocals are way too high up in the mix, they don't blend with the band as well as they did. The drum sound is consistently overcooked. And there were various omissions and mistakes made.

I had to re-evaluate my feelings on the production of the early albums when I found the old 80s masterings. I could only then conclude the flaws have been down to subsequent fiddling- heavy-handed noise reduction on the 90s reissues and what not.
    The Collins years boxes don't sound good on a system that has a hot high end. I thinks it's because Collins had more to do with the EQ. The Lamb and before boxes had Peter Gabriel involved in the production, specifically the first try of the Lamb was rejected by him and was sent back to become more lively. I think Gabriel's hearing is healthier than PC's because PC suffered from an ear infection. Everybody wants to blame Davis, but Davis is a gopher. I don't have a problem with the SACD's in 5.1, but for sure Trick is the less improved of all. Trespass is he most improved.

Sitting crossed legs on the floor, 25 or 6 to 4

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    If Steven Wilson did get to remaster the Genesis catalog, he would probably include the original mixes of the albums as a bonus (as he has done on all his other 5.1 remix projects).
    Well yeh because it is the era of the Bluray. The DVD bonus material for the Genesis boxes is good except HD scans of that which was film on to Bluray 1080 p would be cool. The Blurays had room for a lot of content.

Listening to the 2009 stereo remaster of Seconds Out and have to say that this is one where they got it right - previously inaudible bass pedals have some real presence here, as do more of Rutherford's bass lines, and Hackett is the real winner here with his guitar parts so much clearer and his contribution to the sound much better respected in this version.

And it's an even more satisfying listen in 5.1 DTS sound.

Definitely brickwalled, and would surely prefer reissues of the original mixes, but i will say I love the sound of the bass pedals and bottom end on 2007 TOTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Well yeh because it is the era of the Bluray. The DVD bonus material for the Genesis boxes is good except HD scans of that which was film on to Bluray 1080 p would be cool. The Blurays had room for a lot of content.

That's right, Blu-Ray audio discs have lots of room for content. Going by the work he did on the Yes, Gentle Giant & King Crimson albums, other bonuses might include the instrumental mixes, a "needle-drop" of original UK pressings, works in progress from the vaults (heck, he could even include Nick Davis' 5.1 mixes as a final bonus).

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. I don't care so much about 5.1, but well-executed hi-res flat transfers of the masters would be worth the price of admission.

I have a feeling Nick Davis is still too close to the members and it would be seen as a snub. I would guess that would be the biggest thing keeping it from happening. However, if the Yes and other Wilson editions were shown to have turned some coin...

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post

I have a feeling Nick Davis is still too close to the members and it would be seen as a snub. I would guess that would be the biggest thing keeping it from happening.
    Undoubtedly. The band themselves are ultimately responsible for what's out there. Personally I wonder what the original producers like David Hentschel, John Anthony, Hugh Padgham etc. make of these new mixes!

Wilson did do a few Hackett albums and he claimed that he liked those more than Genesis'.

I'm still mad at Nick Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I'm still mad at Nick Davis.
    I'm more mad at the band...well, relatively speaking anyway! It's with them that the buck stops IMHO. Again I reiterate I thought that the 5.1 mixes were fine...couldn't they smuggle those out again in new reissues but with the original mixes on the CDs??

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Collins years boxes don't sound good on a system that has a hot high end.
    I find it hard to believe those Collins stereo mixes sound good on anything. And they were fine originally. What a shame.

Seeing the prices being asked for a lot of these boxes it looks like people are writing negative reviews in the hope others will sell theirs...

Anyway, I have them all and am very satisfied with the 5.1 mixes.