Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    When I was a kid my babysitter said "Werewolves of London" was by Jethro Tull. I still remember that for some reason.
    In 1969 Dion had a short-lived hit with an ultra-mellow cover of "Purple Haze" (prominently featuring a flute). Somebody at school told me it was by Donovan.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I've heard it said that Fagen's was "a face made for radio".
    I don't know, these two younger "Dans" weren't all that repulsive looking. Just tough and hippie-ready dudes, preparing to take over the musical landscape.

Becker Fagen.jpg

Great music, and they are the coolest nerds ever.

Don't Take Me Alive

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Great music, and they are the coolest nerds ever.

Don't Take Me Alive
    Love it - the opening guitar solo is one for the ages.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Love it - the opening guitar solo is one for the ages.
    We cover this song in a band I'm in. Hearing that solo never gets old. It's a really fun song to sing, too.

Bill

In my opinion, Katy Lied was their last really good album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Katy Lied might be my favorite overall, but saying it's their last really good album is a very "out there" opinion. Aja isn't my top favorite, but to not acknowledge that as a good, if not great, album, is overlooking a lot of brilliance, even if you don't personally like it. It is actually possible to think something is good and not dig it.

Bill

Gotta disagree with you there. If the band morphed into a style you don’t really like (more jazz than rock), that’s understandable. But their last really good album? That’s discounting some really good music they’ve put out since then.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Katy Lied might be my favorite overall, but saying it's their last really good album is a very "out there" opinion. Aja isn't my top favorite, but to not acknowledge that as a good, if not great, album, is overlooking a lot of brilliance, even if you don't personally like it. It is actually possible to think something is good and not dig it.

Bill
    Good point. I mean, Aja, come on!

Up on the hill
    They think I'm okay
    Or so they say
    Chinese music always sets me free
    Angular banjoes
    Sound good to me
    Aja, when all my dying dancin' is through
    I run to you ....

Don't agree about Katy Lied being their last good album, for pretty much the same reason Sputnik said, but I love this song with a fiery irrational passion, I don't see it mentioned much, and I was very glad to see you post it.

Bill
    I've mentioned a few times that I like Aja but I don't shower it with praise like most. It's just my preference to like those first 4 albums much more than Aja (or Royal Scam). Again, I like Aja but I like Katy a lot more. Does not mean that I dislike Aja.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Gotta disagree with you there. If the band morphed into a style you don’t really like (more jazz than rock), that’s understandable. But their last really good album? That’s discounting some really good music they’ve put out since then.
    It's just my personal preference. I'm not knocking Aja. If I had a computer with a hard keyboard I'd write an essay, but I'm posting on my phone with my fat fingers. Lol

It's just my personal preference. I'm not knocking Aja.
    Wording it the way you did, I'd argue you kind of are knocking Aja. This thread is months old. Few, if any, remember what you may have said in the past.

If I had a computer with a hard keyboard I'd write an essay, but I'm posting on my phone with my fat fingers. Lol
    You don't have to write an essay to express your opinion a little differently. If you'd said, "Katy Lied is my favorite, and I'm not personally so keen on what came after, though I like it a bit," no one would have taken issue with that.

Bill

You don't have to write an essay to express your opinion a little differently. If you'd said, "Katy Lied is my favorite, and I'm not personally so keen on what came after, though I like it a bit," no one would have taken issue with that.
    I would have. I mean, who uses "keen" these days?

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Steely Dan is neato.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Wording it the way you did, I'd argue you kind of are knocking Aja. This thread is months old. Few, if any, remember what you may have said in the past.

Bill
    It's just talk........

Katy is not my favorite Dan album but I rank it above what came after. So......

Countdown To Ecstasy
    Can't Buy a Thrill
    Pretzel Logic
    Katy Lied
    Royal Scam
    Aja

It's just talk........

Katy is not my favorite Dan album but I rank it above what came after. So......

Countdown To Ecstasy
    Can't Buy a Thrill
    Pretzel Logic
    Katy Lied
    Royal Scam
    Aja
    That's fine.

There's a lot of stuff on Pretzel Logic that's really good but, some I find meh. Not to mention it's their shortest album. It's 6-7 minutes shorter than their previous two.

BTW, one of the things I don't think I've ever seen mentioned about the band is how many of their covers are pretty lame. The only ones I think are any good are Pretzel, Katy, and Aja, which is excellent. I like the concept of Royal, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, and I have mixed feelings about Countdown.

You'd think that with a band that produced such great music they'd have much better album covers.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yean, the cover art is pretty blah. Maybe it's something Fagen and Becker just didn't care much about. Aja is just a gorgeous cover.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ How’d I miss that cantankerous exchange?

I was just listening to an episode of “Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz” where she has Fagen and Becker and a rhythm section in the studio. The interview is the best part, IMO, but they do “Josie” as well as some standards. You can find it wherever you get your podcasts. I get mine from Spotify, so here’s the Spotify link:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BSVy...QVe7nb0nh49SeA

But just Google it if you wish. They’re on their best behavior since she’s a nice, old woman, so the interview is polite and fun.

I don't really agree with what was said by some on here about the album covers. The cover for Aja I don't get. I'd rank it with ATTWT by Genesis as far as head scratching album covers go. My favorites are The Royal Scam and Can't Buy A Thrill (and no not because of the French prostitutes on the cover- I just like the collage aspect of it I guess).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Since I finally got hip to Steely Dan this year (now I'm one of the cool kids!), I've never seen ANY video of the band in action. Can anyone (Barry?) point me to some good stuff on YouTube to start out with. I kind of want good quality video so I can see them, so video quality is about as important as audio quality. Doesn't have to be full shows, but if there are good quality ones that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Since I finally got hip to Steely Dan this year (now I'm one of the cool kids!), I've never seen ANY video of the band in action.
    If you are thinking of the 90's and later touring versions, I saw them twice. Great playing and songs but I can't say they were fascinating to watch.

As for the early band, only a few clips. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTh_IEyU1w