Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'd like an answer to the opening question. I've never got the massive interest in SD.
    Dude, if you don't get it after reading the preceding 23 pages, you never will.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    I'd like an answer to the opening question. I've never got the massive interest in SD.
    Great music, great lyrics, great playing, superbly recorded - do I need to go on? Granted, they're extremely slick and commercial, their sound the pinnacle of the Seventies' studio musician's craft, and they're seriously lacking in both gritty "authenticity" and uncompromising art-for-art's-sake purity of vision. But that's not what they were ever about.

I had a brief discussion with G.E. Stinson about Steely Dan. He never bought into them, either.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I find the band's songwriting tremendous. They bridged pop and jazz in a way that created their own idiom. A lot of the solos and grooves laid to tape are really tasty.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Steely Dan hit the UK in a weeks time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Steely Dan hit the UK in a weeks time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.
    Dude, that's bucket list material right there!

I've seen Steely Dan (just once), but would love to see Winwood too!

Hope you have a good time. Let us know how it goes!

What's great about Steely Dan?

Countdown To Ecstacy.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've seen Steely Dan (just once), but would love to see Winwood too!
    I've only seen SD once, too, but also saw the New York Rock & Soul Revue, which included Becker & Fagen, so they played a ton of SD material.

I saw Winwood when he & Clapton toured together. I'd never had any desire to see EC but touring with Steve, I figured they'd play some Blind Faith songs. I wasn't disappointed. The highlight, tho, was their rendition of Voodoo Chile, a song SW originally played organ on. Steve was great, as you'd expect, but EC tore it up! His solo was better than Jimi's original.

Edit: the other highlight was hearing Dear Mr. Fantasy. That was historical.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Steely Dan hit the UK in a week's time, support is Steve Winwood. Should be a great show.
    I caught this bill a couple of years ago (with Becker) and it was money well-spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    His solo was better than Jimi's original.
    I'm gonna hafta call BS on this.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've only seen SD once, too, but also saw the New York Rock & Soul Revue, which included Becker & Fagen, so they played a ton of SD material.

I saw Winwood when he & Clapton toured together. I'd never had any desire to see EC but touring with Steve, I figured they'd play some Blind Faith songs. I wasn't disappointed. The highlight, tho, was their rendition of Voodoo Chile, a song SW originally played organ on. Steve was great, as you'd expect, but EC tore it up! His solo was better than Jimi's original.

Edit: the other highlight was hearing Dear Mr. Fantasy. That was historical.
    Ohh man, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" must have been awesome to see performed live. Sounds like you witnessed a great show.

If I could see Winwood perform that and "Heaven Is In Your Mind", I would be in the proverbial hog heaven.

Seriously, those are two of my favorite Traffic songs -- and just favorite songs period, by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Ohh man, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" must have been awesome to see performed live. Sounds like you witnessed a great show.

If I could see Winwood perform that and "Heaven Is In Your Mind", I would be in the proverbial hog heaven.

Seriously, those are two of my favorite Traffic songs -- and just favorite songs period, by anyone.
    I've seen Winwood twice (with Traffic opening for Grateful Dead in 1994, and solo opening for Steely Dan a few years ago). He didn't play "Heaven Is In Your Mind" but I believe "Dear Mr. Fantasy" was in both sets.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What's great about Steely Dan?

Countdown To Ecstacy.
    And Pretzel Logic, and Aja, and Can't Buy A thrill, and The Royal Scam, and Katy Lied, and Gaucho, and.....yep, they were/are great.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    And Pretzel Logic, and Aja, and Can't Buy A thrill, and The Royal Scam, and Katy Lied, and Gaucho, and.....yep, they were/are great.
    Not that they ever wrote a prog song...

Not to derail this thread, but there's a great Doobie Brothers documentary on AXS that intersects with Steely Dan due to the fact that the Doobies and SD toured together and there was a lot of cross-pollination in the form of Jeff Baxter and Michael McDonald. The Doobies seem to be the rare band that wasn't screwed over by their management and actually made some money during their career. They even had a profit sharing and pension plan from their early days.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 02-18-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Doobies seem to be the rare band that wasn't screwed over by their management and actually made some money during their career.
    Interesting. You wonder whether the management were unusually honest. Or were the band unusually savvy, did they either actually read every clause of their contracts (and have the impenetrable legal mumbo-jumbo explained in words of one syllable) or hire their own lawyer to do so, and did they then demand changes of the "trap" provisions?

Apparently, they’ve had the same manager throughout their career. He was a friend of the band who started out helping them move their amps, took money at the door, and mixing their sound. He realized he had no idea about handling finances, so he asked his parents who turned him on to their family’s CPA.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dude, if you don't get it after reading the preceding 23 pages, you never will.
    Exactly what I was gonna say. But, to each his own. Plenty of highly revered bands out there I have little use for. Seriously though, I have a hunch the poster you're responding to hasn't taken the time to read the entire thread.

I really wish I had a substantive financial fortune:

https://juliensauctions.com/about-auction?id=296
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Steely Dan were the Beatles of the 1970s.

One of the few acts that had crossed the bridge from musicians music (jazz) to platinum pop.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Buy that Aja axe, Chris!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yesterday I listened to The Royal Scam for like the second time, and now I can’t stop playing it! It’s SO good. Haitian Divorce is one of the best, wittiest songs ever! Also, at one time the snark in the vocals might have irritated me, but I love it now for some reason.

A few months ago or so I picked up Gaucho. It's ok but I'm not a really big fan of it. Nonetheless, I plan on getting the rest of the ones I don't have. I'll probably skip the last two though.

As for the Royal Scam, I have that one too but have only listened to it once so I need to play it again. I do remember liking it. I think that's the one with the infamous "gas in the car" line if I'm not mistaken.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

The title track of Royal Scam is a masterclass in dynamics.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The title track of Royal Scam is a masterclass in dynamics.
    Yeah, great song!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yesterday I listened to The Royal Scam for like the second time, and now I can’t stop playing it! It’s SO good. Haitian Divorce is one of the best, wittiest songs ever! Also, at one time the snark in the vocals might have irritated me, but I love it now for some reason.
    It's their best album, Jed.