Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It just seemed like nitpicking, IMO.
    You mean like what you're doing re my post, several times now? @-@

Any suggestions for a SD winter playlist?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any suggestions for a SD winter playlist?
    I'd start with "Daddy Don't Live In That Rio De Janeiro No More. "

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    "King of the World" is good for a nuclear winter.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

If you want to find something obscure but excellent, look for "Dallas", a Becker-Fagen ditty recorded both by SD and also a damn good cover by Poco.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The main complaint seems to be they were "too slick" or over produced. But they did all of this in the 70's before digital editing took over which enabled anyone to be that slick with drum machines, loops etc.

The fact they could make albums that well produced was applauded when everyone else couldn't... even if they tried. Steely Dan set the bar, particularly with Aja. Their earlier albums were not so slick and breathed plenty of life. Listen to "Pretzel Logic".... it's far from "over produced".

Steely Dan was a very important band in the 1970's. Unique, intellectual, with great contrast between virtuosity, sarcasm, cynicism, excellent song craft and collaborative efforts. Anyone that can't appreciate what they were up to needs to have another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    The main complaint seems to be they were "too slick" or over produced. But they did all of this in the 70's before digital editing took over which enabled anyone to be that slick with drum machines, loops etc... Steely Dan set the bar, particularly with Aja.
    I agree, especially about Aja. The one album I do think is too slick is Katy Lied.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm listening to Goucho on YT. I had the album in 1980. Babylon Sisters = great, Glamour = I understand now why they're being called Yacht Rock. I still have the rest of the album to listen to but I have an overwhelming urge to listen to My Old School or Razor Boy.......

I gave up on Goucho. Just wasn't feeling this Yachty, slick, boring,....rock?

^^ Razor Boy is one of my favorite SD songs.

I love Gaucho, personally. One of my favourites of theirs. The whole "Yacht Rock" nonsense is silly. The music is sophisticated, beautifully written and recorded and has its own sound world - which back then was very unique. The title track is one of my favourite songs ever: moving, oblique and snarky all at once. Nobody else writes songs like that. But also Babylon Sisters and the rest are just sterling tracks on a variety of levels. Glamour Profession is a highlight for me, the groove, the wonderful bass part, the horn writing, the harmonics, the solo, the lyrics.... oh yeah.

While i get why some don't appreciate it, i was very excited when it came out and i first heard it. Fresh, original and simply brilliant. YMMV... the only regret is that Second Arrangement didn't make it on there. What a sad and fascinating story that is. It's another great tune and would surely have been a great recording as well. Not a good year for them, though. I think the loss was an omen. Still, a fine album, imo.

Geez. I guess i have to put it on now
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

This is worth a look/listen. He plays some Steely tidbits as he explains the effects in his rig too-

Very cool. Thanks Sean
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

just got
    Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete
    all 4 albums and a 5th disc of bonus tracks.
    it came out last year.
    i'm listening to this stuff for the first time today.
    i'm thinking maybe i shouldn't have gotten this..........

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    just got
    Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete
    all 4 albums and a 5th disc of bonus tracks.
    it came out last year.
    i'm listening to this stuff for the first time today.
    i'm thinking maybe i shouldn't have gotten this..........
    Wow. While I find Nightfly a bit inconsistent (from good to amazing), I have always love Kamikiriad (which grooves like nobody's business), Morph the Cat (amongst other things, Wayne Krantz's terrific guitar work) and, for a rare album Fagen made pretty quickly, Sunken Condos. The bonus disc is also inconsistent, but there are, at least to my ears, so,e pretty cookin' tracks on it.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

This is great too^^

And...

Jon Herington is a beast.

Was just playing "King of the World" and my wife gave her "what's this noise" during the outro. So tell me, what's your fave SD intro/outro?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My favorite outro is the piano tag to "Throw Back the Little Ones". For intros, they have so many iconic ones, but those chords that start "Deacon Blues" are perfect.

"King Of The World" is right up there, and I also really like the outro on "West Of Hollywood".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ......I also really like the outro on "West Of Hollywood".
    That track is eight minutes long, almost the whole last half of it consists of Chris Potter's tenor solo, and at the very end, the band doesn't finish the tune so much as just run out of steam and stop. Which leads me to wonder whether Walter and Donald originally intended that whole extended coda as an extended fade - except that Chris played such a magnificent solo, and negotiated those fearsome asymmetrical changes so well, that they kept the whole thing even though it ended with the band fizzling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Was just playing "King of the World" and my wife gave her "what's this noise" during the outro. So tell me, what's your fave SD intro/outro?
    For me, you can't beat the intro to "Bodhisattva." Those piano chords! Like McCoy Tyner doing rock 'n' roll.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That track is eight minutes long, almost the whole last half of it consists of Chris Potter's tenor solo, and at the very end, the band doesn't finish the tune so much as just run out of steam and stop. Which leads me to wonder whether Walter and Donald originally intended that whole extended coda as an extended fade - except that Chris played such a magnificent solo, and negotiated those fearsome asymmetrical changes so well, that they kept the whole thing even though it ended with the band fizzling out.
    That's exactly right, actually. I believe the story goes it was one take and they kept it going since he was on fire. Which he certainly was

Intros? God, there are so many great ones: Fire in the Hole, Show Biz Kids, Night by Night, Monkey In Your Soul, Dr Wu, The Caves of Altamira, Don't Take Me Alive (of course!), Aja, FM, Two Against Nature, and Jack of Speed. Lunch With Gina's pretty good, too.

My favorites are probably Your Gold Teeth, Royal Scam, and Home at Last.

Outros? Don't have a lot of favorites, exactly, but these: Boston Rag, Your Gold Teeth, Show Biz Kids, Night by Night, Dr Wu, FM (both versions), Aja (of course!), and Lunch With Gina.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'd like an answer to the opening question. I've never got the massive interest in SD.