Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?

I love them, unique sounding, great writing, arranging and production. For me, I love to listen to the guitar playing, perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?"

The Extreme Vibrate setting.
    Be proud. This is an exception that actually made me chuckle instead of wince.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Seriously, though, for everything before Everything Must Go (which was very disappointing IMO), look for a used copy of the Citizen Dan box set. It's 4 CDs, but it has all of the material up until that album.
    If you are a "album only" person, you can rip the tracks for each album and place them in a file with the album title.

It contains nothing from Two Against Nature, their comeback album that preceded Everything Must Go

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another Pablo Cruise fan here. They were very very under rated by those who just heard their hits. The "Worlds Away" album is still one of my favorites from that era.
    Wouldn't call myself a fan, TBH... I know they have a few hidden pearls in oceans of AOR

One of the stupidest band name ever (thpough Jethro Tull and Max Webster are cool), hinting at latino disco and an atrocious band logo.

these guys should've been mejntionned a few times in the "What were they Thinking Of" thread

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    A smile at most in my case, but it's that much better than a flat response
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The whole "slick" thing, for me is mostly evident on Aja. It's my least favorite Dan album. The one really great song I like from Aja is Home At Last. The rest is just ok. Sorry. All those hit songs from Aja are nice but bland compared to, say Countdown or Pretzel. Really, I love to hear vibaphrone on SD albums. You could tell with Aja they were streamlinimg the sound. Royal Scam sort of has that vibe too but there's so much gritty, dirty guitar on that album it's just killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The whole "slick" thing, for me is mostly evident on Aja. It's my least favorite Dan album. The one really great song I like from Aja is Home At Last. The rest is just ok. Sorry. All those hit songs from Aja are nice but bland compared to, say Countdown or Pretzel. Really, I love to hear vibaphrone on SD albums. You could tell with Aja they were streamlinimg the sound. Royal Scam sort of has that vibe too but there's so much gritty, dirty guitar on that album it's just killer.
    That killer Wayne Shorter tenor sax solo on Aja is the best sounding horn on ANY Steely Dan rekkid. Having that legend as part of the proceedings is worth the price of admission alone for me. And btw, there's plenty of pianist/vibist Victor Feldman on the album too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Ok, what's so great about... Steely Dan?"

The Extreme Vibrate setting.
    STOP THE PRESSES!!

It occurred to me that when William Burroughs published Naked Lunch (1959) , there were no battery operated dildos, hence, your joke unfortunately is lame, Jed.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I worship Victor Feldman. Please, recommend an album of his.

I worship Victor Feldman. Please, recommend an album of his.
    The Arrival of Victor Feldman (1958)
    Latinsville (1959)

Miles Davis' Seven Steps to Heaven is also a must. The half that was recorded in Hollywood has Feldman on piano. The other half (recorded in NY) has Herbie Hancock on piano. Feldman co-wrote "Seven Steps to Heaven" and wrote "Joshua", both staples of Miles' songbook at the time (circa 1963/64).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMJv3HuZdU

I'm on it.

when they were good---mostly on Aja---they were sublime---but they had lot's of material that didn't move me....

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    The Arrival of Victor Feldman (1958)
    Latinsville (1959)

Miles Davis' Seven Steps to Heaven is also a must. The half that was recorded in Hollywood has Feldman on piano. The other half (recorded in NY) has Herbie Hancock on piano. Feldman co-wrote "Seven Steps to Heaven" and wrote "Joshua", both staples of Miles' songbook at the time (circa 1963/64).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQMJv3HuZdU
    Latinsville sounds like it might be interesting since I love Latin/Jazz. I'll check it out on Youtube.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
    E-A-T

Latinsville sounds like it might be interesting since I love Latin/Jazz. I'll check it out on Youtube.

He made some interesting albums, Latinsville among them. However, his discography isn't huge. He spent a lot of time as a session musician.

He made some interesting albums, Latinsville among them. However, his discography isn't huge. He spent a lot of time as a session musician.
    I just sampled a couple tracks, She's A Latin From Manhattan and South Of The Border. Good music. I like 50s mambo.

E-A-T

I just sampled a couple tracks, She's A Latin From Manhattan and South Of The Border. Good music. I like 50s mambo.

Good stuff for sure. If you like jazz with a latin tinge, check out some of Dizzy Gillespie's 40s and 50s Afro-Cuban adventures with musicians like Chano Pozo.

Good stuff for sure. If you like jazz with a latin tinge, check out some of Dizzy Gillespie's 40s and 50s Afro-Cuban adventures with musicians like Chano Pozo.
    I have. I like Cal Tjader a lot too.

E-A-T

I have. I like Cal Tjader a lot too.

Sounds like you've got it covered.

Vic - also Mario Bauza as well as Israel "Cachao" Lopez.

Vic - also Mario Bauza as well as Israel "Cachao" Lopez.
    Yep, got it covered. Chico O'Farrill, Machito, Mongo Santamaria, Mr. Puente are a few others.

E-A-T

Yep, got it covered. Chico O'Farrill, Machito, Mongo Santamaria, Mr. Puente are a few others.

Bird ventured into that territory as well - sometimes with Diz, sometimes not.

Sometimes the way the Dan get the best out of the musicians on their albums reminds me of how Miles Davis did the same - some performances are close to their best recorded work
    Wayne Shorter on 'Aja'
    Steve Gadd on 'Aja'
    Phil Woods on 'Dr Wu'
    Denny Dias on 'Your Gold Teeth 2'
    Jeff Skunk Baxter on 'Bodhisattva' and ' My Old School'
    Larry Carlton on 'Kid Charlemagne'
    Elliott Randall on 'Reelin' in the Years'

Skunk Baxter is a hell of a musician. I think he's underrated, but I hear he's a wierdo.

Bird ventured into that territory as well - sometimes with Diz, sometimes not.
    A good Dizzy album I have is Afro Cuban Jazz Moods. It's like prog to me. There's a 15 minute epic on there. Superb.

E-A-T

Skunk Baxter is a hell of a musician. I think he's underrated, but I hear he's a wierdo.
    He's extremely accomplished as a musician, teacher, and a very well respected defense analyst for the US government. My brother works with him and reports that he's a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He's extremely accomplished as a musician, teacher, and a very well respected defense analyst for the US government. My brother works with him and reports that he's a great guy.
    I kinda get the sense the the Steely guys parted company with Jeff on acrimonious terms. In the liner notes of the SD remasters the refer to him as "The Skunk" repeatedly. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.