Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2017

Yankees lose Didi Gergorious for six weeks with a strained shoulder.

So, explain to me again why it's a good idea to have the WBC before the MLB season?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Because any circumstance which conspires against the Yankees being close to a quality team is good. I always laugh at how exactly like LA Lakers fans Yankees fans are. If they win, it's the natural order of things. If not, there's a conspiracy. Got news for ya - if Fay Vincent doesn't suspend Georgie boy in 1990, the Yankees win none of the 4 championships from 1996-2000. Count your blessings, and enjoy your good fortune.

The eons are closing
    Re: Didi

He could have just as easily hurt his shoulder turning two vs the BoSox today. WBC isn't the issue here IMO.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Both JD Martinez and Miguel Cabrera injured for the Tigers injured in the WBC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Because any circumstance which conspires against the Yankees being close to a quality team is good. I always laugh at how exactly like LA Lakers fans Yankees fans are. If they win, it's the natural order of things. If not, there's a conspiracy. Got news for ya - if Fay Vincent doesn't suspend Georgie boy in 1990, the Yankees win none of the 4 championships from 1996-2000. Count your blessings, and enjoy your good fortune.
    Don't be an ass and put words in my mouth. I never claimed a conspiracy. You sound childish, which, I might add, is pretty consistent on your part. So, I'll give you some credit, there.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Re: Didi

He could have just as easily hurt his shoulder turning two vs the BoSox today. WBC isn't the issue here IMO.
    Except that he was not playing his normal position, though. He was playing 2B. My point is that players begin games when they are not game-ready. That contributes to injuries. Nobody can deny that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankees lose Didi Gergorious for six weeks with a strained shoulder.

So, explain to me again why it's a good idea to have the WBC before the MLB season?
    Why does the WBC thing exist at all?

I'm kind of surprised that the Yankees allow their players to play in it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

$$$ - Global Marketing
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    $$$ - Global Marketing
    When it doubt, they (i.e. anybody) do it for the money
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    When it doubt, they (i.e. anybody) do it for the money
    Ok.. that still doesn't explain why the WNBA exists.

Ok.. that still doesn't explain why the WNBA exists.
    I don't resent the WNBA, but have absolutely no interest in it, and don't understand how anyone but family attends their games.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

From what I have heard it's kind of a strange mix. Hardcore basketball fans (because it's the offseason for the NBA and tickets are cheap), women who grew up playing the sport, family n' friends, and of course women who prefer comfortable shoes and might also be fans of women's soccer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, god forbid women should be allowed to play professional sports.

Let's be real here. The reason why most men don't watch the WNBA is because unlike women's tennis they are are not wearing skirts(like with tennis). I have no problem with women's tennis and so why should I have a problem with watching the WNBA. The thing is I don't usually see it listed and can't remember the last time it was on. True I don't go out of my way looking for it but I don't go out of my way looking for most things.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-22-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Let's be real here. The reason why most men don't watch the WNBA is because unlike women's tennis they are are not wearing skirts(like with tennis). I have no problem with women's tennis and so why should I have a problem with watching the WNBA. The thing is I don't usually see it listed and can't remember the last time it was on. True I don't go out of my way looking for it but I don't go out of my way looking for most things.
    Nonsense. I don't find either of the Williams sisters the least bit attractive, but love watching them play tennis because they're just so good at it. The WNBA is unwatchable because it just can't compete with the NBA or NCAA - regardless of what the participants are wearing.

I was the timekeeper and announcer for both boys and girls high school basketball in the Madison suburb I raised my kids in for 15 years in the 90s & early 00s, and one of the things that taught me is that it's much easier to appreciate women's basketball once you get behind the concept that they are 2 different games.

Can the women dunk or are they able to appear to hang in midair forever? With a few exceptions, no, and while their shooting accuracy may be a bit behind their male counterparts, there are WNBA players that could teach many NBA players about passing lanes and angles, which they often seem to have a better grasp of than men.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Teams are not allowed to forbid their players to participate.

Thanks for a real discussion, which is something I was trying to begin, until you-know-who decided to jump in and turn it into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I was the timekeeper and announcer for both boys and girls high school basketball in the Madison suburb I raised my kids in for 15 years in the 90s & early 00s, and one of the things that taught me is that it's much easier to appreciate women's basketball once you get behind the concept that they are 2 different games.

Can the women dunk or are they able to appear to hang in midair forever? With a few exceptions, no, and while their shooting accuracy may be a bit behind their male counterparts, there are WNBA players that could teach many NBA players about passing lanes and angles, which they often seem to have a better grasp of than men.
    Well said.

There are actually a few women(very few as in maybe three or four) in the WNBA than can dunk. But hey we all have our preferences as to what we like to watch. I'm not big into college sports at all(I'll watch it in person but rarely on tv except for maybe some of March Madness).

I agree competition is a factor. I just also think that people tend to associate basketball with men where as beach volleyball(or figure skating) maybe not so much.

[Nonsense. ]

Good. On that particular point I would be glad to be wrong.

To clarify: I did not mean my comment about the WNBA to be a shot at women's sports. In addition to following women's tennis (for reasons have nothing to do with the clothes that they wear) I have younger female relatives active in sports, whom I enthusiastically encourage. I brought up the WNBA specifically because it has been such a bomb, yet has been propped up by the NBA for 2 decades now. The league loses money every year. The attendances - which are nothing to really brag about, considering the size of the arenas in which they play - are nevertheless inflated by a prevalence of freebies and discounts. I'm not saying that the league shouldn't exist or anything, but just stating the fact that the NBA has thrown good money after bad for many years on it, and it therefore does very much qualify as an instance where the adage "follow the money" does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Teams are not allowed to forbid their players to participate.

Thanks for a real discussion, which is something I was trying to begin, until you-know-who decided to jump in and turn it into something else.
    Oh, so this is an MLB-sponsored/sanctioned thing? Sorry if I'm lagging behind here - I really just have never paid any attention to it. Now I get why they are doing it during spring training. The owners would never allow it to happen during the offseason (the theory being what has already been mentioned earlier, which was that it can be argued that the player could have gotten hurt anyway, and the play does not amount to any extra play that would not otherwise have happened), so it's kind of now or never for it.

As someone who never felt like the sport of baseball lends itself well to tournament-style play, I've just never had an interest.

It's a big deal for countries like the Dominican Republic but for the US, not so much. I guess for MLB it's all about extending the brand overseas but all I see is a potential for injury and players missing out on spring training. You have a young guy go play for his country and it turns out he's not getting the instruction he needs, not getting enough at-bats. It's the same with pros in other sports playing in the Olympics, like basketball or hockey. You end up worrying more about the injuries than root for your country.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's a big deal for countries like the Dominican Republic but for the US, not so much. I guess for MLB it's all about extending the brand overseas but all I see is a potential for injury and players missing out on spring training. You have a young guy go play for his country and it turns out he's not getting the instruction he needs, not getting enough at-bats. It's the same with pros in other sports playing in the Olympics, like basketball or hockey. You end up worrying more about the injuries than root for your country.
    I was basically going to say the same thing. In some parts of the world the WBC is huge and appears to be taken quite seriously. Not so much here in the States.
    BTW the title game is tonight between the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Precisely my point. Players are beginning competitive play before they are game-ready. They are playing positions they are not accustomed to. So, the argument that they would be playing anyway, or the injury could have happened anywhere don't quite hold up, IMO. The teams, generally, feel the same way. They are invested heavily in these players and they don't want to take on what they perceive as unnecessary risks.

There's a reason why the NFL has their Pro Bowl Game after the season ends.

You know, the games are actually entertaining in the WBC. Did you guys see Jones' catch the other night?

Move it to the middle of the summer, extend the All Star break and this thing will get more views.

As it is, lack of viewership does not mean it's not competitive or entertaining.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    Spring training starts early in years where the WBC occurs to allow for break in prior to bith WBC and spring training games

And of course, most players now report even earlier than that!

So I believe the notion that not enough time/instruction occurs is not valid either given the early start and even earlier reporting by most.

I just think its a case of sh!t happens.

Now if you told me he was under the care of the Mets medical staff, then that would explain his injury as those peeps are incompetent.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Spring training starts early in years where the WBC occurs to allow for break in prior to bith WBC and spring training games
    I don't think so. Pitchers and catchers reported the same week as last year.