Thread: IQ-Subterranea [Original motion picture sountrack]

IQ-Subterranea [Original motion picture sountrack]

Surprised no one has already mentioned this unless I missed it?

IQ - Subterranea (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)Based on IQ’s ‘Subterranea’, contains over 70 mins of new music by Mike Holmes plus new IQ track!
    Format: CD / Cat No: GEPCD1053 / Released: 13/02/2017

Track Listing: 01. Are You Awake? / 02. Awake / 03. ABC / 04. The Rip / 05. Reflection / 06. She’s Down There / 07. On The Street / 08. Under The Stairs / 09. The River / 10. With A Gun / 11. In The Car / 12. Closer / 13. In The Box / 14. You Need To Leave / 15. Incarceration / 16. Meeting / 17. Goin’ Down / 18. In The Basement / 19. In The House / 20. Deceit and Death / 21. Beginning The End / 22. You Made It / 23. Goin’ Back / 24. In This Wilderness

More information: After the success of ‘Subterranea The Movie’ GEP here's ‘Subterranea The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack’. Based on IQ’s ground-breaking ‘Subterranea’ album the movie was previewed last year to audiences across the US and in London.

This soundtrack CD contains seventy minutes of new music composed by IQ guitarist and composer Mike Holmes and features themes from the original Subterranea album. It also includes a new IQ track ‘In This Wilderness’ written exclusively for the film featuring Peter Nicholls on vocals.
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-13-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Anybody ever see the movie? I didn't even know it existed.

There was discussion here around the time they were working on it. I recall a promo clip floating around. But then nothing. I sort of assumed the project stalled or died.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Anybody ever see the movie? I didn't even know it existed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNS6DpO-_bM

I ordered this soundtrack CD from GEP, still waiting on it, was due to ship early this month.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have this on download (official source!) and have played it 3 or 4 times. It's of interest to IQ fans (like me) but does not stand up as an album IMHO. As a soundtrack (the main aim of course) fine, so no complaint. There are a few themes from the original album in reworked form. The closing IQ song is OK.

Listening to it made me think that a synth/orchestral version of Subterranea would work really well, as there are loads of really strong sections on that album which would lend themselves to such a treatment.

Get on it Mike!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does it feature the beloved love theme from Subterranea?

The movie was released on video a few months back. It is available on DVD, Google Play and Amazon.

I didn't know it had come out either. I just ordered the soundtrack last night from ProgRock.co.uk.
    Have to look up the movie now.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

4.2/10 on IMDB.

I went out to youtube and found a couple of links to the entire movie. Both are pretty crappy quality videos as you would expect (one has the movie showing in a tiny window and the other appears to be filmed by pointing a camera at a tv screen with some kind of subtitles (arabic maybe?)). If you want to see what the movie is like though, you might check it out that way. It might inspire to actually buy the movie (or in my case, stay away from it as it didn't look particularly appealing to me).

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    The movie was released on video a few months back. It is available on DVD, Google Play and Amazon.
    It's free to watch if you are an Amazon Prime member.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does it have actual songs with vocals in it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does it have actual songs with vocals in it?
    The final track does. It's a new IQ track, but the rest of the CD is the score from the film - and quite good, too. Mine just arrived today and I've spun it twice already.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quick review....

The captive wakes up in the subway. Some nice cinematic imagery here.

He then wakes up in Maya's... house? And tells her his entire backstory of being the captive in the darkness, waking up, finding himself alone in the world before meeting Remy. The images are pretty interesting, but the whole telling of the backstory is clumsy. It begins with two of the biggest cliches in the world:

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."
    "Try me."

Not sure why the Captive would think she wouldn't believe him if it was his background was the only world he knew, but whatever. Especially since he seems to be the utter innocent right afterwards. I did like this exchange:

Remy: "What do you think you are, fucking Rip Van Winkle?"
    Captive: "What's 'Fucking Rip Van Winkle'?"

It goes on from there... alternating between the Captive's and Remy's street life and Maya's investigation of who the Captive is. There are some weird arty cinematic tricks which aren't too bad but it does muddle the storytelling. The pacing's also very slow, and it's never clear why Maya even wants to help this guy in the first place.

As the film goes on, the pieces fall in place, but the slow pacing just didn't keep my interest. If this weren't based on the album (and it's not even my favorite IQ album by a long shot!) I wouldn't have stuck with it. I'm not convinced by the story either; it's another in the vein of "the villain does a lot of work for little benefit."

The acting is just very sluggish and uninvolving; I'm torn on Hall's performance. Sometimes he seems appropriately vulnerable, and other times he seems to just have one facial expression ever. There's a lot of arty cinematic flourishes, but it's all lost in the glacial pace. Mockenrue's final monologue is awkward at best.

I really wanted to like it. The Montana scenery's nice and Bug Hall is a decent actor. Holmes did a nice job with the soundtrack (though an opening speed metal thing during the subway scene is a bit goofy). In the end, it's very earnest, and gets marks for effort for a low-budget film.

And "In The Wilderness" is a nice song to end with.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)