Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box: Howard Theatre DC 2/12/17

Banned

The Musical Box: Howard Theatre DC 2/12/17

Very cool! I see them in PHX next week.

Thanks for the fantastic pictures firth. As usual, it was a stellar show. I am actually in all four of your pictures! Front row center with the TMB baseball hat on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Thanks for the fantastic pictures firth. As usual, it was a stellar show. I am actually in all four of your pictures! Front row center with the TMB baseball hat on.
    Cool!

Banned
    Why won't this POS let me post a short video, dammit!

Sitting crossed legs on the floor, 25 or 6 to 4

Anyone who lives near LA who wants general admission tickets to see The Musical Box without the extra ticketmaster fees can get them from my limited batch here: https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/m...eater-feb-26th

The reason I have these discounted tickets is because they're for people who want to come see my band, the Dave Kerzner Band, open for them that night (Feb 26th at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills). It'll be a great night of Prog music, original new music that has some Genesis influence and then a recreation of classic Genesis Selling England tour by TMB. Special night! Wanted to let you all know about it if you can make it.

I really wish they'd not only come back to the NYC area, but this time do the Foxtrot show. They're incredible! Caught them once & they did all of Selling England..". They returned, but they did the same album & I opted out.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Seeing the SEBTP Black Show, the only one I have not seen, here in Atlanta on Apr. 12. Loved the Foxtrot show, which I saw in Zurich over 10 years ago. Would love to see that one again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I really wish they'd not only come back to the NYC area, but this time do the Foxtrot show. They're incredible! Caught them once & they did all of Selling England..". They returned, but they did the same album & I opted out.
    At least they do the masterpiece from Foxtrot, Supper's Ready, at the end of this show.

Going the The Black Show on Saturday, I assume those photos are from that particular show. Looking forward to this, saw them do The Lamb twice, it was incredible both times.
    ...or you could love

I saw Genesis perform their Black Show at the Orpheum in Boston (April 1974) - it changed me.

TMB shows - over 20 at this point easily . . . always a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    DOWN IN FRONT

( )

I saw the show last night in Scottsdale, AZ. Stunning!
    These guys are so good. Each member did an amazing job.

My first Genesis show was the "Trick" tour in 1976 so I always felt like I missed out on the earlier days. It was a very special experience last night.
    (Interestingly, when I saw the Trick show at The Beacon Theater in NYC I was 5th row center; last night I was...5th row center.)

I will wax poetic about the details if you'd like...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post

My first Genesis show was the "Trick" tour in 1976 so I always felt like I missed out on the earlier days. It was a very special experience last night.
    (Interestingly, when I saw the Trick show at The Beacon Theater in NYC I was 5th row center; last night I was...5th row center.)
    That was also my first Genesis show - in Ottawa, Canada. It was, I believe, their 3rd show debuting Trick in North America. I first say the Musical Box in Montreal in 93 (they had two keyboardists at the time). I seen TMB many times but would go again for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That was also my first Genesis show - in Ottawa, Canada. It was, I believe, their 3rd show debuting Trick in North America. I first say the Musical Box in Montreal in 93 (they had two keyboardists at the time). I seen TMB many times but would go again for sure.
    I would love to see the "Trick" show. Did the "Bruford" drummer do him justice? (Bruford was a very special part of that tour.)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would love to see the "Trick" show. Did the "Bruford" drummer do him justice? (Bruford was a very special part of that tour.)
    I have to confess, I was 14 and - hard to remember all of the details! I do remember enjoying the show -there was a guy from Montreal sitting in front of my with an inverted V shaved on his head. I do remember really enjoying the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have to confess, I was 14 and - hard to remember all of the details! I do remember enjoying the show -there was a guy from Montreal sitting in front of my with an inverted V shaved on his head. I do remember really enjoying the show.
    Cool!
    I enjoyed chatting with various members of the audience last night; there were many stories of seeing Genesis in the old days.

(It is good to see both older and younger people interested in this. The other day I was bicycling and met a 22 year old fellow from Quebec. I mentioned my upcoming TMB show and he said in a droll manner "my father would like that." I joked that it was his way of saying I was old!)

I went to the "Black" show at The Rose in Pasadena (California) last night, my two buddies and I really enjoyed it.

The venue is one of those "we're going to make you buy a crappy dinner if you want to sit down or be in a good spot for the sound" things. We stood at the back off to the side, the sound was just OK from there. The place was pretty full, a good-sized crowd. The show visuals are very sparse but all the costumes were there. TMB played well, as usual, the "Phil Collins" was on especially good form. The "Peter Gabriel" sang well, little rough on some of the higher up passages ("take them to the New Jerusalem!" kinds of things). It's funny to hear how his French-Canadian accent affects the way he says some words.

It's the SEBTP tour setlist, which brings good (Dancing With The Moonlit Knight, Cinema Show) and not so good (The Battle of Epping Forest) to the table. To hear a complete Supper's Ready was really nice, well done too as was my favorite Genesis song, The Musical Box. We had a choice between the full SEBTP tour set (tonight) or the Black Show, we chose the Black Show as it tours less. Would like to see the full SEBTP show at some point.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    and not so good (The Battle of Epping Forest)

My two friends and I agreed after the show, The Battle of Epping Forest just doesn't work as a complete piece. It has some great parts to it, but parts of it feel glued on, for lack of better phrase i.e. "They called me the Reverend..." part. Plus, you have that torrent of words sung in a stereotypically twee English voice, all describing a vicious gang battle with the fiddly music, just doesn't work for us. The Cinema Show and Dancing With The Moonlit Knight we felt are much more "of a piece", better put together as songs.
    ...or you could love

I'd love to see TMB again sometime, Black Show or otherwise. I've seen them at least half a dozen times over the years... I think the only shows I haven't seen is Foxtrot (not sure if they even still doing it) and Trick (anyone else remember the botched rollout of the Trick show?).

Epping Forest I love on the studio album, but I agree that it never really worked live.

Epping Forest works just fine for me.

Epping Forest works just fine for me.
    Word. I just saw this show a few weeks back in NJ and "Epping" was a highlight. Its such an interesting composition, especially harmonically speaking, and live really presents in a different yet unique light.

For years, Epping was my least favorite Genesis song in the entire catalog.
    The rest of the album has always been a favorite, though.
    Then, a few years back, I stumbled on an essay explaining all the lyrics of the album. Many of the clever references were lost on this American, and I developed a newfound deper love for the album. Epping actually started to make sense and grow on me, and now not only do I love it, but I found TMB's performance of it in Pasadena Saturday one of the hightlights along with TMB and Supper!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    For years, Epping was my least favorite Genesis song in the entire catalog.
    The rest of the album has always been a favorite, though.
    Then, a few years back, I stumbled on an essay explaining all the lyrics of the album. Many of the clever references were lost on this American, and I developed a newfound deper love for the album. Epping actually started to make sense and grow on me, and now not only do I love it, but I found TMB's performance of it in Pasadena Saturday one of the hightlights along with TMB and Supper!
    Really, worse than "I Can't Dance" or "Mama"