Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Jon Anderson live Yes albums

Post Jon Anderson live Yes albums

I'm just wondering if any of the post Anderson released live albums are worth owning.

[QUOTE=Digital_Man;668944]I'm just wondering if any of the post Anderson released live albums are worth owning.[/QUOT

I have them all and like them all. The one I like best is "In the Present-Live in Lyon" with Benoit and Oliver. I like the performances and varied set list as compared to The Album Series. Of course, Progeney, Yessongs, and Yesshows beat them all.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good question. I can't really address any in detail, but I have them all mainly because I was interested to hear and see all the replacement vocalists. But I honestly can't recall details of any of them. I recommend reading reviews on Amazon, especially to see what bonus features there are in deluxe editions.

[QUOTE=jrw;668960]
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm just wondering if any of the post Anderson released live albums are worth owning.[/QUOT

I have them all and like them all. The one I like best is "In the Present-Live in Lyon" with Benoit and Oliver. I like the performances and varied set list as compared to The Album Series. Of course, Progeney, Yessongs, and Yesshows beat them all.
    ^^^^This!

I'd agree that in the present is the best one. while the album shows are fun to see live if I am pulling out a cd to listen why would I chose the live version over the original album...

I have them all and to be honest I played them each once. Some of the performances are good, but lower energy than the glory days IMO. Now, Progeny on the other hand...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have them all but not played more than once. The thing is, if I want to listen to these songs I'll more likely play the studio versions or 70's live versions. Its up to you whether you want them from a collecting point of view.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I'd agree that in the present is the best one. while the album shows are fun to see live if I am pulling out a cd to listen why would I chose the live version over the original album...
    Well, why would you ever want to hear a live version of anything then for that matter? The Wall, etc...

I think the main reason to own these are the DVDs. Some of the songs on GFTO for example I don't think are available on video elsewhere (Parallels, TotC). I'm not sure Perpetual Change is available elsewhere either. And then the solo bits on Fragile, not sure how important those are!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Now, Progeny on the other hand...
    Agree.. Best live release for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, why would you ever want to hear a live version of anything then for that matter? The Wall, etc...
    its true a live album performance can add something too it but I sometimes consider live albums like best of compilations but more interesting because they are different versions of the usual songs.

Save your money, it's all crap.

As for Progeny I think I'll just get the highlights version. The full version seems a bit overkill to me.

As for the others without Jon A. I guess I'll just stick with In the Present. Thanks for all the advice.

I have both of the "Like it is" 2/CD 1 DVD sets. I bought them mainly for the DVD's, although I'll probably listen to the CD's eventually.

I agree with arturs, some of these songs are not available as live recordings from other shows, so it's worth having for that. These are also the last concert DVD's to feature Chris Squire, so they're also very worth having for that reason as well.

It's true that the tempos are pretty slow and there are a few rough moments--it's not as tight as they were 10 years earlier, but I'm pretty forgiving of that kind of thing as long as the overall sound is good, which it is. I've watched them many times and enjoy the performances a lot.

I actually don't have the "Live at Lyons" CD, so I need to try and get that--I liked Benoit David with the band/liked Fly from Here but I never saw the tours with him, so it would be good to have--also would be cool to hear Oliver Wakeman with the band.
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 02-14-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I have them all and to be honest I played them each once. Some of the performances are good, but lower energy than the glory days IMO. Now, Progeny on the other hand...
    It's beyond belief that there are few full shows from their 70s peak available. And yet these recent line-ups have three live albums/DVDs.

Would be good to have a full show from the Moraz era or an official release for that Wembley '78 show. I've always wondered whether anything from the 1977 tour was multi-tracked too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's beyond belief that there are few full shows from their 70s peak available. And yet these recent line-ups have three live albums/DVDs.

Would be good to have a full show from the Moraz era or an official release for that Wembley '78 show. I've always wondered whether anything from the 1977 tour was multi-tracked too.
    Actually the very first thing I bought after Chris Squire's death was the live at QPR DVD's. Too bad the sound was messed up in the first one, but the mix does get better in the second half/second DVD.

I also wonder how much other live stuff there is out there. Genesis seemed to have quite a few well-recorded shows from that time, so why not Yes?

^I was wrong about the 1977 tour- forgot there's actually quite a bit from that year on Yesshows. It appears that there are fewer multi-track recordings of Yes than Genesis. The TFTO tour doesn't seem to have any professional recording at all.

But at least some of the shows from which they compiled the rather piecemeal Yesshows must exist in full, as they have been dipped into for a couple of releases. These are surely more desirable than any of these later ones of them playing almost entirely 70s material. I understand that it's a different label and all that, but Rhino did put out the Progeny set.

I feel the same with Rush- don't understand the demand for all these late-period shows of them playing material note-for-note.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.

^I was wrong about the 1977 tour- forgot there's actually quite a bit from that year on Yesshows. It appears that there are fewer multi-track recordings of Yes than Genesis. The TFTO tour doesn't seem to have any professional recording at all.

But at least some of the shows from which they compiled the rather piecemeal Yesshows must exist in full, as they have been dipped into for a couple of releases. These are surely more desirable than any of these later ones of them playing almost entirely 70s material. I understand that it's a different label and all that, but Rhino did put out the Progeny set.

I feel the same with Rush- don't understand the demand for all these late-period shows of them playing material note-for-note.
    I think the recent DVD's of Yes and Rush are because it's easier to get high quality digital video these days, even Blu-ray quality etc. With album sales lowering, it also makes sense to make more releases of live shows---kind of a quantity over quality thing, but makes sense when it's relatively easy to do.

For the 70's shows, there is definitely a demand for both audio and visuals, and I think we will now see more releases coming out for bands like Rush and Yes. I have Rush X-3 for example, but would love even earlier shows on DVD if the films exist---surely there are more songs from the "Exit Stage Left" portion of that which exist, and you're right on the Yes front too---more tracks should exist from the ones recorded for Yesshows etc. I don't think there is much high quality video left out there for Yes, but for Rush there might be for Exit Stage Left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    For the 70's shows, there is definitely a demand for both audio and visuals, and I think we will now see more releases coming out for bands like Rush and Yes. I have Rush X-3 for example, but would love even earlier shows on DVD if the films exist---surely there are more songs from the "Exit Stage Left" portion of that which exist, and you're right on the Yes front too---more tracks should exist from the ones recorded for Yesshows etc. I don't think there is much high quality video left out there for Yes, but for Rush there might be for Exit Stage Left.
    There are archival live Yes projects in the pipeline, although I fear ARW making a grab for the Yes name is going to tie everyone up in rows and suits, stopping the archival stuff from being approved.

There's also been quite a few '70s live bits on the Panegyric expanded releases.

In terms of post-Anderson Yes releases, In the Present would be my first recommendation too.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There are archival live Yes projects in the pipeline, although I fear ARW making a grab for the Yes name is going to tie everyone up in rows and suits, stopping the archival stuff from being approved.
    A very, very silly thing to do. I can't even say I'm an advocate of the current Yes line-up but this was so unnecessary.

A very, very silly thing to do. I can't even say I'm an advocate of the current Yes line-up but this was so unnecessary.
    I like both bands, both Yes and ARW, but I haven't been happy at all with some of the things ARW's management seems to be pulling. I hope it doesn't stop releases from happening. Hope you're wrong Henry, but since you're "in the know", you're probably right

I also admit I'm a Steve Howe mega-fan, and I really like the other guys in Yes too (including Jay Schellen who I think is a fantastic drummer), I think they've done a really good job. This "grab for the Yes name by ARW" better not stop Yes, I'll be right pissed off (Already have been very concerned about what it looks like, but IS it happening?)

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    In terms of post-Anderson Yes releases, In the Present would be my first recommendation too.
    That seems to be the general consensus...which makes me glad I didn't buy any of the other post-Anderson live albums. I'm a big Yes fan, but "In the Present" was a disappointment with its slow tempos and sloppy performances. I wasn't expecting much - the only reason I bought it was because I had a Best Buy rewards coupon that was about to expire - but even with low expectations it was pretty underwhelming.
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 02-14-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Used "it's" instead of "its". D'oh.

YesShows is my favourite Yes album of all time!!! I would absolutely love to see the complete shows (particularly Cobo Hall '76) but I wouldn't want to see them get the same "discreet" treatment as the shows in Progeny. I know I'm in a very very very small minority on this but I'd still rather hear YesSongs ANY DAY than anything off Progeny.
    A 1978 Wembley official release is WAAAAAY overdue. Even if they just release the straight BBC version as it is, I would love to see it.