Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Al Jarreau

R.I.P. Al Jarreau

The Acrobat of Scat, legendary jazz vocalist Al Jarreau has passed just a week after he announced his retirement from touring.

Official statement from Al's website:

- Al Jarreau passed away today, February 12, 2017. He will be missed. A few days ago, I was asked to describe Al to someone who knew of his success, but did not know him as a person. I responded with this: His 2nd priority in life was music. There was no 3rd. His 1st priority, far ahead of the other, was healing or comforting anyone in need. Whether it was emotional pain, or physical discomfort, or any other cause of suffering, he needed to put our minds at ease and our hearts at rest. He needed to see a warm, affirming smile where there had not been one before. Song was just his tool for making that happen. A few things I think he would want mentioned right now: To Al’s wife, son, sister, brothers, and family: You allowed Al to share himself with the world. He was grateful that you gave him that gift. He knew it was difficult, and regretted that more than he could explain. Please know that your gift was to us, too, and that we are also grateful. To everyone who attended his concerts, and listened to his albums: He needed you, and you always were there for him, for more than 50 years. He was thankful for you every day, and did his best to show that to each of you. To his band, and to the many, many talented musicians, writers, composers, and arrangers who played and collaborated with Al over the years: You enabled, supported, and thrilled him. He treasured you, and considered you brilliant. He loved sharing the stage with you, and was honored that you shared it with him. To each promoter, presenter, and producer: Thank you for your faith in him. Your commitment to Al was both essential and endless, and he never took you for granted. To his agents, managers, crew, counselors, publicists, and journalists who supported his work, and also to all of the airline, hotel, venue, and other people who hosted him like royalty: He noticed every bit of the dedication and effort that you unselfishly provided, without limits. And, he appreciated you completely. To young people everywhere, especially the musicians he was grateful to meet at school workshops, musical competitions, residencies, and at concerts: From you, Al asks a favor. Please find any artistic thing that you can do with passion, and do it. With art in your life, you will be a better family member, neighbor, friend, and citizen. Finally, to Al Jarreau: Thank you Al, from all of us. You completed your ministry in a beautiful and gracious way. Godspeed… you’ve earned it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.5d65cb481598

Class act all the way.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Though he got away from this a bit in his later pop-oriented albums, Al was a master of scat and his unqiue vocal stylings.

This is his take on Dave Brubecks's Tale Five:

He was always surrounded by such great musicians, like here with Joe Sample and Phillip Saisse on keys and Steve Gadd on drums doing his rendition of Chick Corea's "Spain"

I don't think I ever saw Al without a smile on his face. RIP Al.

Wow, another one.

I am embarrassed to say I didn't encounter his music until the late 70's and early 80's. Rhode Island SUCKS for Jazz radio or clubs!!!

I followed him through his hits period and was able to see him twice live along with my wife. Fantastic both times

He has always been one of those artists that you can't describe in one sentence, or one paragraph, or even one page.

My best and sincere appreciation to his family. Thank you for letting him share his gift with me.

Now this one truly gets me. As a singer, I've marveled at Al J's ability & talent for a long time, and because he's a Milwaukee native & played there a lot, I did get to see him twice & even got a handshake, smile & a "thank you brother" once.

RIP to Mr. Positive Vibe.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

What a supremely talented guy, he will be missed.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

RIP......

I just heard this on NPR. A great loss to the jazz world imo. My dad was a fan of his and I'm pretty certain without Jarreau you wouldn't have Bobby McFerrin(you know what I mean ). RIP Al.

Discovered him in the mid-80s , loved all of his music. RIP sir.

Too Bizarre. I just googled him two nights ago because I saw him on an SCTV video I was watching.

RIP.

This is a good article from Time. Eight Songs That Show the Genius of Jazz Singer Al Jarreau

http://flip.it/sJQY8f

RIP

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Banned

RIP

Look to the Rainbow is a gorgeous piece of work and one of my favourite live albums.

RIP

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

from hamburg with love. a fearless musician. RiP

I was never a fan (or an "active" one), but he was supremely talented - a true modern-day virtuoso of the vox. My sister used to love the guy when I grew up; I sometimes wonder if that's why I never really connected much with his recorded music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

He had just announced his retirement a few days earlier. I played his version of "Since I fell For You" many times during wedding reception dinners, and several times I had people come to my booth and ask who it was. He was one of the most talented singers of the last 50 years. I know of no one who could scat as well, and his command of odd time signatures (Take Five and Spain for example) was awe-inspiring.

I am not a fan of scat singing, not even from Mel Torme, but I always liked Al Jarreau. He reminded me of George Benson and I think they worked together.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

He played at Monterey and that was 50 years ago. Quite the career. Goodbye, Al.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

RIP Al
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Very, very sad. A stunning musician and a wonderful human being.

His CD "High Crime" is a work of perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    He played at Monterey and that was 50 years ago.
    I'm not sure that's true. He certainly played Monterey Jazz Festival, but I've never seen him credited for Monterey 1967.

I could be wrong though - he was certainly an active musician at that time, if not yet well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. He certainly played Monterey Jazz Festival, but I've never seen him credited for Monterey 1967.

I could be wrong though - he was certainly an active musician at that time, if not yet well known.
    Just checked to be sure. It was the Monterey Jazz Festival at which Al played, not the Monterey Pop festival. I stand corrected.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Very, very sad. A stunning musician and a wonderful human being.

His CD "High Crime" is a work of perfection.
    Boy do I agree, great LP!! Hearts Horizon was my favorite of his. Saw him live a few times, stellar live performer.