My SM top 5 in order:

Volume 2
    THIRD
    SIX
    Grides
    The Soft Machine
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Also worth mentioning are the 2 BBC Radio double CD compilations. They provide a good overview of the band from 67 to 74.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    There was a thread called 'What's an album (or group) that would surprise people to know you've never heard?'

For me it's Soft Machine. Today I heard them for the first time
    It was 'Alive and Well in Paris'. It was really good. What's the album(s) to start with?
    The least one can say is that you didn't start out with their most representative album

I suggest you try a release that has a DVD in it (Cuneiform label's Grides or NDR workshop)...
    or even just a DVD: despite the fact that you should generally avoid Voiceprints products (reissues or posthumous releases), the DVD Alive In Paris - 1970 will give you an excellent overview of the group's spectrum... Still psych, then jazzy
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

FWIW, I think Third is one of the greatest records ever released.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Thank to answered me guys especially Scrotum Scissor. I think I’ll start with vol 2 and 3.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Thank to answered me guys especially Scrotum Scissor. I think I’ll start with vol 2 and 3.
    You're more than welcome, and all of the replies in this thread were good. Soft Machine aren't just "another" progressive band; they were and remain seminal in the development of rock's legitimacy as "artform". Both Volume Two and Third are works that just might leave a lasting mark on how you perceive the actual potency of rock music. Excellent choices!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'd also recommend Live Adventures by Soft Machine Legacy, featuring John Marshall, John Etheridge, Theo Travis and Roy Babbington.

And there's a new Legacy album on its way.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.