Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eddie Trunk's SiriusXM show live from Cruise to the Edge all week (MP3s inside)

I enjoyed his rant on the Grammys yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I enjoyed his rant on the Grammys yesterday.
    I stumbled upon that by accident on Youtube. It was very entertaining and spot on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I stumbled upon that by accident on Youtube. It was very entertaining and spot on.
    Thanks, that's a pretty good rant! The funniest part is the 13 people who wrote one song.

BTW, I had never heard of Post Malone, but I Googled him (!). It's good that he supports Rock, but I hope one day I get to see him when he's bald and has that barbed wire tattoo across his forehead. And writing tattooed on his face. I don't get that stuff at all.

This whole Grammy thing though - I can't really get that worked up about it. I mean, I think there are like 4 or 5 Broadway musicals currently running that are based on Disney movies. And I don't hate Disney movies (in general). But these people know where the money is coming from, I guess, and know what's easiest to do. The ship has sailed (whatever that means).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, I had never heard of Post Malone, but I Googled him (!).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks, that's a pretty good rant! The funniest part is the 13 people who wrote one song.

BTW, I had never heard of Post Malone, but I Googled him (!). It's good that he supports Rock, but I hope one day I get to see him when he's bald and has that barbed wire tattoo across his forehead. And writing tattooed on his face. I don't get that stuff at all.

This whole Grammy thing though - I can't really get that worked up about it. I mean, I think there are like 4 or 5 Broadway musicals currently running that are based on Disney movies. And I don't hate Disney movies (in general). But these people know where the money is coming from, I guess, and know what's easiest to do. The ship has sailed (whatever that means).
    Broadway and theater in general is pretty watered down these days. The truly original plays and musicals are few and far between.

Thanks for posting the current links. I was hoping there was another round of these. Hopefully he studied the source material.

Well, Cruise to the Edge is back in 2022 after the long pandemic, and so is Mr. Trunk, who is broadcasting live from the cruise all week, with Mike Portnoy acting as co-host. Since I'm still alive and still have SiriusXM, I'm once again bringing the audio to anyone who is interested...

Day 1 - Mike Portnoy (Transatlantic, Flying Colors), Dave Cureton (IO Earth), and members of Klone [technical difficulties throughout]

Day 2 - Mike Portnoy, Simon Phillips (session drummer extraordinaire), Steve Hogarth (Marillion), Michael Sadler (Saga), Ross Jennings (Haken), and Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    Trunk knows next to nothing about prog so this is actually pretty funny.
    Hardy har har!! very true!!

I have now listened to all 4 days (mostly on my computer at work)
    I tried to do the same but the Firewall at work blocks them, I'll have to wait to open them at home.

The third and final broadcast day from aboard CTTE 2022 This one wasn't a traditional show in the sense of interviewing guests; instead it was all about Top 5 Rush album lists. The whole show consists of people giving their top 5 lists (mostly fans on board and listeners), including Mike Portnoy, Eddie Trunk, and Jimmy Keegan (Pattern Seeking Animals).

Day 3 - Top 5 Rush Album Lists with Mike Portnoy, Jimmy Keegan and Many Random Fans

In case anyone is wondering, here's my list:

5.) Counterparts (first album I was anticipating as a new fan, and it did not disappoint! The rawness, power, and grunginess is just what I needed at 15 years old in 1993! It betters their previous 2 releases by a wide margin, IMO, and still holds a special place)

4.) Grace Under Pressure (this one has a sound like no other... I dig the dark vibe and the guitars were still crunchy and not overpowered by keys and random digital samples firing off every 12 seconds)

3.) A Farewell to Kings (almost put Hemispheres here but it only has 4 songs, and the title track is a little musically repetitive to me. This one has consistently great tunes and performances from top to bottom, yes even Cinderella Man and Madrigal!)

2.) Permanent Waves (the songs were shorter, but that just meant more musical acrobatics packed into a tighter space. The transitions in The Spirit of Radio are absolutely ludicrous (in a good way). But of course they always make the odd times and changes sound effortless and highly accessible. The instrumental break in Freewill leaves my jaw hanging every time. The two shorter deep tracks (Entre Nous and Different Strings) are both exquisite examples of the band's songwriting ability. There are also some longer heavy hitters, namely Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science (the latter being my #1 Rush song). But since we're talking about overall albums, the winner is clear to me....

1.) Moving Pictures (I know it's obvious, but the production, the songs, and the playing all reached the Next Level and there is something palpable in the DNA of this album that screams Greatness, never again to be equaled. I don't care how many times I hear Tom Sawyer and Limelight, I will always listen to and love them. Red Barchetta is a cinematic masterpiece - the lyrics and music combine to tell a story and play a short film in your head. YYZ is possibly the finest rock instrumental of all time. Even the deep tracks are ace. The Camera Eye is a singular masterwork, painting impressionistic images with music and words, with a vast and sweeping scope. Captivating and enchanting. The lyrics to Witch Hunt are timeless, and are especially relevant in the 2020s. Vital Signs hints musically at the reggae influence that would be a big part of the next few albums, and ends with a battle cry I can get behind: "Everybody got to evelate from the norm!" (see, he's deviating from the norm by using a made up word)
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 05-06-2022 at 12:06 AM.

The eons are closing
    That would almost be my list and your rationale for counterparts aligns with my tastes too. Tho CP would fall just outside most days

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

II had the chance to meet Mr. Trunk briefly on the cruise. He could not have been nicer and thanked me for being a fan and supporting his radio show. I dropped in when he was interviewing Mike Portnoy, but they did not have the sound pipped through the area, so you could not hear what they were saying which kind of sucked. I did not have any internet on the boat, but look forward to listening to the broadcasts later this week. Thanks for posting them.

Eddie Trunk got covid last week, he says he completely lost his sense of taste/smell and had to suspend his radio shows.
    No mention if he got it on Cruise to the Edge but it is VERY possible, that is a high exposure area although some shows were on the deck and some inside the theater. But damn, that guy is always at public events and shows, it is beyond me that he had not got it long before.

Covid is still here, no matter how many of us are now going to sports and concerts, it remains a freakin' nightmare that does not want to go away

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Eddie Trunk got covid last week, he says he completely lost his sense of taste/smell and had to suspend his radio shows.
    No mention if he got it on Cruise to the Edge but it is VERY possible, that is a high exposure area although some shows were on the deck and some inside the theater. But damn, that guy is always at public events and shows, it is beyond me that he had not got it long before.

Covid is still here, no matter how many of us are now going to sports and concerts, it remains a freakin' nightmare that does not want to go away
    It has come to be public knowledge at this point that many people caught covid on the boat including myself and quite a few other cruisers. I personally know 4 so far. Several musicans caught it too, so my guess would be Trunk also caught it on the boat.

It has come to be public knowledge at this point that many people caught covid on the boat including myself and quite a few other cruisers. I personally know 4 so far. Several musicians caught it too, so my guess would be Trunk also caught it on the boat.
    That is a scary thought; I will be going to the Marillion weekend in July at a mid-size theater (Montreal) standing on the orchestra level.
    There will be hundreds of fans who will be cheering and in a similar setting as the intimate shows on the cruise.

I got it last January but can't rule our getting it again (although I am triple vax) so all we can do is to be cautious and use common sense.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

That is a scary thought; I will be going to the Marillion weekend in July at a mid-size theater (Montreal) standing on the orchestra level.
    There will be hundreds of fans who will be cheering and in a similar setting as the intimate shows on the cruise.

I got it last January but can't rule our getting it again (although I am triple vax) so all we can do is to be cautious and use common sense.
    I have heard 2nd hand that both Ian Mosley and Steve Rothery caught covid on the boat. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten the 2nd booster before the cruise, but I procrastinated and didn't do it. My symptoms were relatively mild. Felt like I had a crappy cold for 4 to 5 days and lost some sense of taste for a few days. When I contacted my Dr. he was not concerned since I was vaccinated even though I am also an asthmatic.

As you say, be cautious and use common sense.

I have heard 2nd hand that both Ian Mosley and Steve Rothery caught covid on the boat. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten the 2nd booster before the cruise, but I procrastinated and didn't do it. My symptoms were relatively mild. Felt like I had a crappy cold for 4 to 5 days and lost some sense of taste for a few days. When I contacted my Dr. he was not concerned since I was vaccinated even though I am also an asthmatic.

As you say, be cautious and use common sense.
    Apparently my cabin got lucky and we escaped - one of us had it very soon before the trip, so he was likely safe, but two of us had it in December so could have gotten it again realistically. Glad your symptoms are mild. I had a mild case at Christmas, though I'm just coming out of some long term issues with memory/speech which has just been a blast. lol I have to admit to letting myself get caught up in the fact it was vaxxed and you had to have a negative test. I'm pretty sure anyone doing the test offered at the Radisson could pass it with anything other than a highly symptomatic case - the proctoring wasn't exactly strict.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Apparently my cabin got lucky and we escaped - one of us had it very soon before the trip, so he was likely safe, but two of us had it in December so could have gotten it again realistically. Glad your symptoms are mild. I had a mild case at Christmas, though I'm just coming out of some long term issues with memory/speech which has just been a blast. lol I have to admit to letting myself get caught up in the fact it was vaxxed and you had to have a negative test. I'm pretty sure anyone doing the test offered at the Radisson could pass it with anything other than a highly symptomatic case - the proctoring wasn't exactly strict.
    My theory is that the ball probably originally got rolling at the pre-show the night before the cruise. There were probably people there who did not have their test results back yet, and may have tested negative on Saturday. The place was jam packed. Almost everyone I know who caught it went to the pre-show. Everyone in our group who stayed out by the pool bar and did not go into the venue, didn't catch it. I could be completely wrong, but that is my theory anyway.

My theory is that the ball probably originally got rolling at the pre-show the night before the cruise. There were probably people there who did not have their test results back yet, and may have tested negative on Saturday. The place was jam packed. Almost everyone I know who caught it went to the pre-show. Everyone in our group who stayed out by the pool bar and did not go into the venue, didn't catch it. I could be completely wrong, but that is my theory anyway.
    My wife and I saw Michael Sadler's FB post about Progject not coming on until 8:45. So we waited out by the pool for Alan Hewitt to finish, then entered the venue inbetween bands. We wore our masks even though it was super hot inside. But we stood against the left side wall where it wasn't crowded as opposed to the jammed back of the room. Each of us have both boosters too and didn't catch anything all trip so there's something to your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallB View Post
    My wife and I saw Michael Sadler's FB post about Progject not coming on until 8:45. So we waited out by the pool for Alan Hewitt to finish, then entered the venue inbetween bands. We wore our masks even though it was super hot inside. But we stood against the left side wall where it wasn't crowded as opposed to the jammed back of the room. Each of us have both boosters too and didn't catch anything all trip so there's something to your theory.
    I went in to the venue when the two piano guys were playing but was mainly talking to people in the back who I had not seen in a long time. I was not wearing a mask nor were 80% of the people in the room. I watched the entire Progject show in a crowd of people in the back, again with no mask, so was right in the middle of it all. I had only had the first booster.

I have heard 2nd hand that both Ian Mosley and Steve Rothery caught covid on the boat.
    That's so ironic: I watched the DVD documentary from the "Hour Before it's Dark" release (an album highly inspired by the pandemic). And not only the other band members said it but Steve Rothery himself admitted that he had joined the recording sessions much later at the New World studios because he feared getting covid as being high risk who has diabetes.

I hope he has recovered by now and see him for the Marillion weekend dates in Montreal.

That's so ironic: I watched the DVD documentary from the "Hour Before it's Dark" release (an album highly inspired by the pandemic). And not only the other band members said it but Steve Rothery himself admitted that he had joined the recording sessions much later at the New World studios because he feared getting covid as being high risk who has diabetes.

I hope he has recovered by now and see him for the Marillion weekend dates in Montreal.
    They just did the big Marillion weekend in Stokholm this past weekend. I know people who were there and posted a bunch of pictures on Facebook. Looks like the band were back at full power.