Thread: Gastric Band - Party Feel (scottish avant progressive)

Gastric Band - Party Feel (scottish avant progressive)

I thought Frankie Richard and some other friends might enjoy these guys
    a vibe and energy that are "positive" lively and vital

Fascinating music: part Eighties Crimson, part indie math-rock. Plus maybe part the latest version of Thinking Plague?

Though I do wish they had a bass player. The band consists of three guitarists and two drummers, yet even with all that fury, all those notes, their music sounds unfinished, like an extended series of questions with no answers. Even when they get into straight-up rock or extreme-metal territory. But maybe they're really insisting upon the floating, harmonically-undefined sound you get with no bass, and that's the whole point.

Some information on this hard-to-Google group: http://www.armellodie.com/#/gastric-band/

And a short film featuring the band:

Like John said; quite good indeed, and very "mathy" - at times a bit reminiscent of The Fucking Champs, Sleeping People, Sonar or perhaps even Friendly Bears.

Powerful, which this sort of thing should be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks Udester - I love that transition at around 2:45 - it gets a bit moody "Scandinavian" there, very nice. Nice development overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Fascinating music: yet even with all that fury, all those notes, their music sounds unfinished, like an extended series of questions with no answers.
    So this means you dig or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    So this means you dig or not ?
    I do, but with reservations.

Specifically: The bass wields huge power in setting the tonality, which can cause difficulties if you're working in an advanced idiom with an extended harmonic palette. It's hard for something to be tonally ambiguous when the bass is shouting from the bottom of a tangled harmonic pile, "Right here! This is it!" But I don't think that avoiding the problem by eliminating it, as they have, is a very good solution. For one thing, it robs the more "rock" sections of their punch - there's great sound and fury, but no rudder to the music. This band needs the right player, who understands what they were doing and can work within it. They may have trouble finding a guy like that, but they'd sound great if and when they found one.

I do, but with reservations.

Specifically: The bass wields huge power in setting the tonality, which can cause difficulties if you're working in an advanced idiom with an extended harmonic palette. It's hard for something to be tonally ambiguous when the bass is shouting from the bottom of a tangled harmonic pile, "Right here! This is it!" But I don't think that avoiding the problem by eliminating it, as they have, is a very good solution. For one thing, it robs the more "rock" sections of their punch - there's great sound and fury, but no rudder to the music. This band needs the right player, who understands what they were doing and can work within it. They may have trouble finding a guy like that, but they'd sound great if and when they found one.
    ok I will listen more carefully to see if I understand these observations
    btw they have a new EP haven't heard it yet amybe they further developed

http://gastricband.armellodie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    ok I will listen more carefully to see if I understand these observations.
    btw they have a new EP, haven't heard it yet, maybe they further developed
    Don't knock yourself out trying to verify or refute what I said. It's just one guy's opinion, it's not necessarily right or wrong, and many would disagree with it.

Also, I listened to the EP. The first track is also the soundtrack to that odd little film I posted, and the second track reminds me of Steve Reich's 2x5 - partly because of the pitch-shifted, sped-up-sounding guitars. There still isn't much bass - while there is some, what they have comes from one or another of the guitarists playing the notes on keyboards.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 02-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Don't knock yourself out trying to verify or refute what I said. It's just one guy's opinion, it's not necessarily right or wrong, and many would disagree with it. .

Man ...