Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My review of the Glorious Prog & Art Rock show featuring Heliopolis!

My review of the Glorious Prog & Art Rock show featuring Heliopolis!

I hope this is the right section to put concert reviews? Sorry Sean, if it is not!

Anyway...

It all started in the summer of 2010 when my friend Kerry Chicoine told me that his band, Mars Hollow, had put out their first CD and would I like to hear it. They became my new favorite band immediately after the first listen! The formula they had was magical and the music was very healing to me personally. A huge gathering of fans worldwide soon followed. They played music festivals and gigs in places such as Mexico, and were loved wherever they went. In the spring of 2011, Mars Hollow's second album pointed them in the direction of true greatness. Unfortunately, the band imploded in June 2012 due to unforseen circumstances, and I was devastated. That is the danger of "attaching" yourself to something, even music, because it can be taken away from you in a heartbeat. As a "superfan", I watched from the sidelines and grieved. The rest of the world grieved, too, as the fallout floated down to the earth. There was no putting things back together.

So Kerry, being the quality musician that he is, soon picked up the pieces along with Mars Hollow drummer Jerry Beller and mutual friend Matt Brown (known for his professionalism as a top keyboardist in the L.A. Prog scene) and started experimenting. Add Jerry's friends, Mike Matier (guitar) and Scott Jones (vocals), and a new band, Heliopolis, was born! City of the Sun. I can't think of a better description for Los Angeles. (Yes, I know it's raining down there right now, but I'm trying to make a point here! ) Their debut performance at the Starry Plough in Berkeley, California on January 26, 2013 was greatly anticipated and the band did not disappoint!

First, let me thank Kurt Matson for putting this mini-fest together. There is a lot of great music talent in California's Bay Area, especially in Progressive Rock, and there needs to be more outlets for bands to show off their amazing skills. The West Coast in general is sadly lacking in the Prog scene, with the bulk of interest centering in L.A., but I am not the only one who would love to see more shows and more fests north of the Grapevine. So Kurt contacted a few friends and voila', the magic happened in the East Bay. Thanks for your hard work, Kurt! It was a huge success and the venue was packed!

The first band, Mind Furniture, took the stage and dazzled the crowd with some on stage antics and quirky lyrics. The band hails from San Jose and apparently has a long history. This is why Prog fests are necessary... not just for the big names, but also to showcase the unknown talent that is has lingered on the sidelines for too long. I was delighted with Mind Furniture! They are a good band and deserve more exposure.

Then my Heliopolis came on and WOW! You put Kerry Chicoine and Matt Brown on the stage together, and you are blasted by the electricity in the air! (No, not from exploding amps! ) After some technical difficulties with Mike's guitar, the show went on to dazzle the crowd. Scott's tenor voice is fantastiic and he hit the high notes with clarity. For a brand new band just formed six months ago, they gelled pretty well. I think their second song (didn't catch the name) needs a bit of working on, but I was not expecting perfection, and neither were they. Heliopolis just wanted to see what they could do, and they did fantastic! The highlight of their set was playing a Mars Hollow song, In Your Hands, and I was overwhemed when Kerry dedicated it to me! I didn't think I'd ever hear a Mars Hollow song live again. It was a treat and very healing for me. I also want to note that although I've known Matt Brown for a few years now, this was the first time I had seen him perform with my own eyes. YouTube does not do him justice! Everyone knows I'm a keyboard nut, and Matt is a titan among men when it comes to creating symphonic sounds! I was pleased as punch (spiked or not) to finally witness him in action!

If Heliopolis was great, how do you follow them? With a band that is about as perfect as Prog can get! The headlining band MoeTar had every jaw on the floor! Seriously, Dr. Richard Leakey would be crawling along with a magnifying glass if he had been there! I was simply shocked by the beauty and enchantment of lead vocalist Moorea Dickason, and once I shook my head out of its gawkiness, I started listening to the music. Truly great "in your face" stuff! Keyboardist Matt Lebofsky is already well known in Prog circles around the Bay, but to finally see him on stage was rewarding. MoeTar has been around for a little while, but they have tremendous potential to blow the roof of Progressive Rock and take their talent to the world. They will be playing RoSFest in Pennsylvania in May and I hope they soon will be invited to fests and gigs around the world. They are THAT GOOD!

I enjoyed the show personally because I got to see old friends and meet new ones. My only disappointment was no after-party or gathering off site to shoot the breeze and get caught up with each others' lives. There is never enough time for "long distance" friends at these events. Otherwise, the Glorious Prog and Art Rock show was a smashing success and a great time was had by all. I will be happy to make the drive again when the opportunity arises, and if my circumstances lead me to move back to California, I will be a deliriously happy music fan!

Heliopolis has a show in L.A. in March. I urge my friends down there to check them out and give them your support. They would appreciate your attention and you will not be disappointed! Just think "high energy" and you will be revitalized. For me, seeing Heliopolis was a "full circle" thing for my mental state and I look forward to seeing them again many times in the future. I can't wait for their album!

MoeTar will of course, be jetting off to Gettysburg in May. The Civil War has nothing on them! There will be cannonfire in the town again during their performance, I guarantee it! If by some miracle, I can attend, I will be there. I have been to two RoSFests and it's a wonderful festival in a wonderful town.

As for Mind Furniture, I wish them lots more gigs and more success. They should not be an unknown band, especially in our little Prog world.

Thanks again, Kurt and all who were involved in getting this off the ground. West Coast Prog MUST thrive, and these events are vital to us fans as well as to the musicians. Much love to Prog heads everywhere! <3
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Nice review, Melissa. Wish I could have been there.

And congrats, Kerry, Kurt, and all involved, for what seems to have been a very successful show. Here's hoping for more in 2013 - hopefully on the East Coast!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Dang, I wish I paid more attention...then I would have known you were there, and introduced myself!

Great review, Melissa....it was a fun night. Agree with all your sentiments. Waiting for my Moetar album to arrive!!

Thanks for the review, Mel!
    Sounds like a great time!

Sorry I missed meeting you, Wide! Now that I'm back living on the West Coast, I will be in the Bay Area more often for these kinds of events. (hopefully!)

Thanks, Scott and 100423. It was definitely fun!
    Last edited by Hunnibee; 01-29-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Excellent review, Mel, but I didn't expect any less from you... !

Peace,
    Alex

Nicely done, Mel!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    WOW! You put Kerry Chicoine and Matt Brown on the stage together, and you are blasted by the electricity in the air! (No, not from exploding amps! )
    Too much Trader Joe's three-layer hummus. I know. I've been there.

Seriously---great review, dollface! I wish I had been there to see my old man do his thing. I'll be at the upcoming show, though; you sure you can't make it?
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nice review, Melissa. Wish I could have been there.

And congrats, Kerry, Kurt, and all involved, for what seems to have been a very successful show. Here's hoping for more in 2013 - hopefully on the East Coast!
    If they go East (i.e., 'home'), I cannot miss those shows!
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Thanks, Geeze!

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    I'll be at the upcoming show, though; you sure you can't make it?
    Tasia, I will do my best to get down to L.A. for the show if I don't have a job by then.
    Last edited by Hunnibee; 01-30-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks, Mel! I just gave MoeTar a listen on YouTube. Excellent!

Glad you liked them, Reid!

A small sample of what RosFest is in for!

I do! Dichotomy is a killer tune!

If there were any Heliopolis vids, I'd be posting them, too. I don't know if anyone got any video at Saturday night's show.

Jefferson James

Thank you, Melissa

Melissa, thank you so much for the lovely, heartfelt summary of the night's events -- perfectly and passionately stated!

It was a healing gig for me, too; to be able to put the past behind and take a tangible step forward was like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. All the kind words of appreciation and encouragement, all the great people we hung out with, the camaraderie between the bands, the excitement and energy this music engenders -- I've been missing that connection, that feeling of being a part of something greater than the sum of its parts, the feeling of being part of a community.

It's one thing to talk about getting out there and making something happen; it's another thing entirely to actually do it. I won't lie when I say this has been a ton of work for all of us, but the response from last weekend has made all the self-doubting and hard work so, so worth it.

Thanks largely to your enthusiasm and support -- and to everyone else who has been so kind as to voice their feelings publicly -- we (Heliopolis) have been contacted by a seriously amazing, tenured producer offering to produce our debut album. They've been reading comments about the show in various places online and reached out to the band. We're hoping we can strike a deal soon...

Thanks to YOU, we will hopefully soon be clearing another hurdle on the road to releasing an album!

Again -- thank you Melissa. I know you've previously caught some -- in my opinion -- unjustified flak here on PE due to your enthusiasm for certain bands but trust me, ANY band would be lucky to have such a passionate fan as you on their side. We will never, ever forget your kindness and support.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Again -- thank you Melissa. I know you've previously caught some -- in my opinion -- unjustified flak here on PE due to your enthusiasm for certain bands but trust me, ANY band would be lucky to have such a passionate fan as you on their side. We will never, ever forget your kindness and support.

All to frequently the highly cynical try to beat down the exuberant.

I'm excited that Heliopolis is getting a good producer for their first album! It's awesome news, Kerry!

As for my exuberance, it's a part of me that I can't control. Music has been a HUGE part of my life for most of my life, and when I "connect" with a band, it's a committment from the heart. If my passion for Prog is annoying to some, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

Lino
    Your progpassssion annoys the hell out of me Melissa.

:-P

Heliopolis
    Thanks for the wonderful words, Melissa! It was a great first gig, all bugs aside, and we are excited to keep on moving forward! Great to meet some of you too (WideOpenEars) !!

--Matt

Just keep doing what you're doing, Matt! It's a good formula.

And Lino, go back to your birthday party!

Very nice review of the show, Mel. I've seen Mars Hollow a couple of times and am really looking forward to seeing Heliopolis. If they travel east, like Bob Uecker said, I'll be in the front row. Glad to hear the other bands did well, too. Will be checking out Mind Furniture and MoeTar soon.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Lino
    hahahaha you go girl.

Lou - Moorea from MoeTar (name of band obviously a combo of her name and her husband and primary MoeTar composer Tarik) is imo a very special vocalist, who I would say is more influenced by Billie H, Ella F, Sarah V, Anita O'D, Carmen M etc. than any female rock singers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman