Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands in a similar style to Pierre Moerlen's Gong / Brand X / Bruford ?

Bands in a similar style to Pierre Moerlen's Gong / Brand X / Bruford ?

I've got a very wide range of tastes - but my "go to" jazz-rock style bands over the last 40 or so years have always been Pierre Moerlen's Gong & Brand X, closely followed by Bruford.

I know that Spotify always throws up "if you like these, you'll also like" suggestions - but I've never really discovered any real gems or unheard of esoteric bands through these that were worthy of continued listening.

So - all you PM Gong fans out there - which other bands have I missed out on / should be listening to on a regular basis?

Forgas Band Phenomena

^ Good one.

Also, to some extent, Masal (with Jean-Paul Prat), Aquarelle (from Québec), Predmestje (Yugoslavia), The Platina (Israel), Moose Loose (the Transition album; Norway), VSP Projekt (Estonia; great band!).

Some others too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Good one.

Also, to some extent, Masal (with Jean-Paul Prat), Aquarelle (from Québec), Predmestje (Yugoslavia), The Platina (Israel), Moose Loose (the Transition album; Norway), VSP Projekt (Estonia; great band!).

Some others too.
    I always think i have my musical library knowledge shit together until I read one of your posts!!

^Well, this arrogant elitist is always happy to oblige.

Of course, people do tend to hear things differently - so this doesn't necessarily imply that each and every one of us individuals may agree on whether these proposed artist names fit the initially intended bill. I'll be very humble about that.

But start with Aquarelle or Masal anyway. You'll at least enjoy them if Moerlen's Gong is your thing. I mean, at least I suspect you'll might find it in your heart [Oops] to enjoy them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I always enjoy your posts, educational and always interesting, I learn something every time. Even though half the bands you mention or recommend I can neither pronounce or find! Cheers!

Bon Lozaga's bands Bon , Gongzilla, Soften the Glare have similarities.
    The Cellar & Point
    Steve Smith & Vital Information
    Chad Wackerman, Fourty Reasons, The View, Scream, Legs Eleven,
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

For something a bit more in the Bruford camp, but with elements of Brand X, I'd highly recommend Helmet of Gnats. Any of their albums are great. Even a bit more on the rock/fusion side are Accordo dei Contrari, who I think would be worth checking out. And though not really related to any of the bands you mention, Phlox is a great Jazz Rock/Fusion band worth checking out if you don't know them.

I also love the Masal and agree a PM Gong fan (like me) would likely enjoy them. For another band that uses mallet percussion like PM Gong, you might want to try L'Orchestre Sympathique, I like their album a lot.

A few names for me to check out above as well as I also dig the three bands mentioned.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    all you PM Gong fans out there - which other bands have I missed out on / should be listening to on a regular basis?
    when thinking of Gong under PM's leadership, I immediately think of what made them different and that is the extensive use of Vibraphone and Marimba. There aren't many other bands with that sound really. It's strange that you mention Brand X and Bruford, since they were much more normal 4 piece (I know BX also had a dedicated Percussion player) Jazz Rock style Prog imitating the Return To Forever electric quartet albums. Vibraphone and Marimba are something pretty rare in Prog and one of the things I love about Gong but I cant think of any other artists who used it extensively in a strictly Jazz Rock style Prog format. Mandrill use Vibraphone and Marimba often but their early albums are Afro Prog containing vocals and a Horn section so they aren't like Gong.

I will be watching this thread to see if there are other Prog artists who use Vibraphone and Marimba to a great degree. I love that sound!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quebec legends Maneige often have that sound.

I always thought the first album by The Fents (feat. Adam Holzman), First Offence, sounded quite a bit like Bruford:

Tunnels, one of the groups Percy Jones started after Brand X, does have some of the latter band, while the midi-vibes from Mark Wagnon could lead you to PM Gong.

More jazzrocking vibes etc. can be heard on Ed Mann's solo-recordings on CMP-records, like Perfect World and Get Up.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe-...L3WVxjCU8ij_tA

Tribute is also an interesting band, because Moerlen played on some of their work, while the first solo-album from Mick Taylor features his playing. Especially side 2 of that LP is great.

More vibes on Magnetic from Steps Ahead:

Some of that old David Sancious stuff sounds a lot like Bruford. Love the Ed Mann CMP stuff!

Highly recommend the New Orleans band Woodenhead, still going strong after 40 years.

Though most of their stuff is original, here they are covering Billy Cobham's "Spectrum":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iYHJQTObE

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Some of that old David Sancious stuff sounds a lot like Bruford.
    Yes, especially Just As I Thought, which features Jeff Berlin in a couple of tunes, while Sancious plays some Holdsworth-like guitar-solo's. It was just rereleased with True Stories.

Also in the Bruford-vein: Ronny Heimdal's Timequake: https://ronnyheimdal.bandcamp.com/album/timequake

This is from his new EP:

Also in the Bruford-vein: Finneus Gauge:

Two bands that covered tracks from Bruford are The Trio Of Stridence (Hells Bells) and Carl Hupp Project (Five G).

Close to Pierre Moerlens Gong

Kraan - Tournee 1979 - Borgward

Cover and title in the video is wrong

Kornet

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...