Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands in a similar style to Pierre Moerlen's Gong / Brand X / Bruford ?

^ Holdsworth did indeed have a very short stint/tryout with the band, who were otherwise sans guitars. I believe this was sometime after the second album, when they'd apparently toured briefly as support to Bruford. Their first tour was supporting National Health! Turning point werre quite obviously more squarely "fusion" than both, but they're still listenable and unfairly forgotten or even underappreciated to begin with among "prog" folks.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Although I wouldn't put them in this category, it's nice to know Benoit Moerlen played on an album from The Wrong Object. Here's a live cut featuring this Gong-guy:

I liked that Kornet album posted above. So much so, that I'm in the process of trading for a copy.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Banned

How about:

* Nova
    * Iceberg
    * Isotope
    * some of Gary Boyle's solo stuff?

After seeing Lalle Larsson live (as substitute keyboardist for Kaipa Da Capo, playing some brilliant solos!), I couldn't resist listening his Weaveworld albums in a row, as soon as I got home.

Lalle Larsson's Weaveworld: Highly recommended for all lovers of symphonic jazzrock. Jonas Reingold plays the Jaco-influenced bass parts and Richard Hallebeek the sometimes Holdsworthian guitar lines.

As mentioned before in other tracks Brand X-fans should also try if they like the music of Mark Murdock/Cymbalic Encounters.
    Percy Jones and John Goodsall play on a couple of tracks, while Kenwood Dennard is also present.
    Murdock does mix the Brand X-like jazz-rock with vocal progressive pop-rock however, but I have not trouble with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Holdsworth did indeed have a very short stint/tryout with the band, who were otherwise sans guitars. I believe this was sometime after the second album, when they'd apparently toured briefly as support to Bruford. Their first tour was supporting National Health! Turning point werre quite obviously more squarely "fusion" than both, but they're still listenable and unfairly forgotten or even underappreciated to begin with among "prog" folks.
    Here's the live-section from the Calyx-site featuring Holdsworth's gigs with Turning Point:

July 1980

A special line-up of Turning Point is assembled for a series of live dates, consisting of leader Jeff Clyne (bass), Brian Miller (keyboards) and Pepi Lemer (vocals), with newest members Phil Todd (sax/flute) and Gary Husband (drums), plus special guests Neil Ardley (synth) and Allan Holdsworth (guitar)
    [06] Bracknell, South Hill Park (Bracknell Jazz Festival) [Turning Point]
    [21] Bracknell, South Hill Park ["jam of the century", feat. Dave Greenslade, Mike Ratledge & Richard Harvey (keyboards), Allan Holdsworth & Steve Topping (guitars), Henry Thomas (bass), Gary Husband (drums), Dave Oberlé (percussions), Phil Easchmann & Phil Durramd (violin), Mike Johns (soprano sax), Mike Cooper (guitar) and Jo Payne (dance)]
    [?-26] London, Pizza On The Park (Knightsbridge) [also: Elaine Delmar with Pat Smythe (piano)]

August

[--] London, BBC [Gordon Beck Quartet]
    [04] London, 100 Club [also: Paz] [Holdsworth & Co]
    [14] London, Seven Dials [Holdsworth & Co]
    [25] Barnes [London], Bull's Head [Blind Alley: AH/D.Wadsworth/R.Warleigh/G.Castle]

September

Henry Thomas leaves Holdsworth & Co suddenly, and Paul Carmichael is recruited to replace him only a few days before a planned gig in Sheffield. The band is renamed False Alarm
    [20] Sheffield, Lead Mill [AH's False Alarm]
    [23-30] Paris (France), Riverbop [AH's False Alarm plus Benoit Widemann]

October

[01-04] Paris (France), Riverbop [AH & Co with Paul Carmichael & Gary Husband plus Benoit Widemann]
    [05] London, Roundhouse [Turning Point]
    [06] Cambridge, Carioca Club [Turning Point]
    [10] Nottingham, Black Boy [Turning Point]
    [12] Leicester, Phoenix Arts Centre [Turning Point]
    [13] Sussex University [nr Brighton], Gardner Centre [Turning Point]
    [15] Derby, College of Further Education [Turning Point]
    [16] Coventry, Bull's Head [Turning Point]
    [17] Llantwit Major, St Donat's Art Centre [Turning Point]
    [18] Bristol, Arnolfini Gallery [Turning Point]
    [19] Birmingham, Strathallan Hotel (lunchtime concert) [Turning Point]
    [20] Kendal, Brewery Arts Centre (Kendal Jazz Festival) [Turning Point]
    [21] Manchester, Royal Northern College of Music [Turning Point]
    [23] Norwich, Arts Centre [Turning Point]
    [24] Leeds, Playhouse [Turning Point]
    [25] Sheffield, Hurlfield Campus [Turning Point]

^ Well, there you go then. Enough of a reason anyway to check out 'em Points.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Progressive fusion from my hometown

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    For my taste this would also include Romantic Warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most people with prog affinty likes it.
    I dont.
    Where RTF listened to Gentle Giant prior to making this album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Where RTF listened to Gentle Giant prior to making this album.
    Yes, you get that feeling. But I WAY prefer GG.

Banned
    Miodrag Mirosavljev - alias Micky Lee - is a progressive fusion guitarist from Vršac, Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Yes, you get that feeling. But I WAY prefer GG.
    as much as I like GG, "no vocals" is always better than vocals
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

For your Gong/Brand X fix, try some Isotope(the UK band) also check out vibe player Marc Wagnon, who also records on Buckyball records, same label as the last Brand X releases. Here is a vid.

The David Sancious recommendation is also a good one, only for the Just as I Thought album, very Bruford like, which also features bassist Jeff Berlin, I love all of his stuff, but that one in particular has that Bruf vibe on it.

The Italian band Nova - Vimana, might appeal to you, as well as Caldera, they both feature some pretty intense guitar and keyboard playing in the style of Brand X, the Nova album features Percy Jones on bass and Phil Collins on percussion, Narada Michael Walden handles the drums.

Also, Check out the band Maelstrom Percussion Ensemble, which will remind of the Bruford - Feels good to me Era music, Maelstrom features Ted Reinhardt former drummer for the band Gamelon, who is now RIP sadly.

May as well try some Tunnels as well, features Percy Jones

PM:GONG

^^^ yeah it's a shame that "PM: Gong" couldn't get any more gigs. That is one red hot version of Downwind! Nobody has really followed up on PMG's unique blueprint for JR/F; maybe the closest would be Forgas Band Phenomena.

Check out the song Légende pour le Futur by Maelstrom (Quebec). The use of the vibraphone in that song reminds me of Pierre Moerlen's Gong.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

How about Blue Man Group?

The Samuel Jackson Five opened their self-titled album with a track that resembled Pierre Moerlen's Gong:

For those who like tuned percussion, I can highly recommend Orchestre Tout Puissant Marcel Duchamp -in their big band version they are a 14 piece (imagine Pierre Moerlen's Gong and the Ordinaires doing a joint concert!), with two marimba players, two drummers, two basses, two guitarists, two violins, one cello and a singer/violinist plus trombone and trumpet.

Pierre Morlene himself with Swedish band Tribute in 1985

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks for posting these, I love Tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Bon Lozaga's bands Bon , Gongzilla, Soften the Glare have similarities.
    The Cellar & Point
    Steve Smith & Vital Information
    Chad Wackerman, Fourty Reasons, The View, Scream, Legs Eleven,
    Chad Wackerman !!! Very great!!

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    For those who like tuned percussion, I can highly recommend Orchestre Tout Puissant Marcel Duchamp -in their big band version they are a 14 piece (imagine Pierre Moerlen's Gong and the Ordinaires doing a joint concert!), with two marimba players, two drummers, two basses, two guitarists, two violins, one cello and a singer/violinist plus trombone and trumpet.

Thuis is fucking amazing...

For the first few minutes, you wonder why they're so many on stage (two doublass and a bassist), but man does that unravel marvelously.

Thanks for the share.

Last edited by Trane; 08-16-2022 at 07:41 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.