Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooby-Doo - horror or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Yeah right, because it's always about that - isn't it?
    what? mocking me by creating a parody thread? -- way to take the high road

apparently, the troll is alive and well

^ It's not mockery.

It's an illustration of how some would quite naturally find certain assumptions - for instance about the ever so life-dependently important "genre adherence" - unnaturally strange and peculiar yet still have that position "explained" through an utterly meaningless accusation and/or allegation of "elitism".

And it's by definition not "trolling" either; the thread in question here, for example, has lived its very own life. What happened in your thread was comments as to your basic assumption. "Trolling" is purposely misreading the intent and content of what others write. Questioning whether or not Scooby-Doo would qualify as horror did NOT call for allegations of "elitism" - any more than questioning whether Heart could be understood as "prog" or "industrial" or "avant garde" would be.

This is an internet discussion forum. Clinging to a trench of shelter from the eternal threat of personal offense has little next to nothing to do with it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Im not misreading anything otherwise this current exchange between us wouldn't make any sense....From what Im reading, the burr is here (in bold)

"explained" through an utterly meaningless accusation and/or allegation of "elitism"........whether or not Scooby-Doo would qualify as horror did NOT call for allegations of "elitism" -

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Im not misreading anything otherwise this current exchange between us wouldn't make any sense....From what Im reading, the burr is here (in bold)
    This was already adressed in my previous post. So perhaps you didn't misread? Maybe you just didn't understand? So let's take it again: In what way does questioning an assumption of whether Heart are (possibly) "prog" constitute elitism? Please answer this meticulously through elaboration.

BTW, I contributed to your thread by at least pointing to a member of the band in question there, this after being labelled an elitist after commenting with one single word on another post. What has been your contribution to this one - except for expressing your personal indignation and thus rendering the entire thread about "you - yourself"?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This was already adressed in my previous post. So perhaps you didn't misread? Maybe you just didn't understand? So let's take it again: In what way does questioning an assumption of whether Heart are (possibly) "prog" constitute elitism? Please answer this meticulously through elaboration.

BTW, I contributed to your thread by at least pointing to a member of the band in question there, this after being labelled an elitist after commenting with one single word on another post. What has been your contribution to this one - except for expressing your personal indignation and thus rendering the entire thread about "you - yourself"?
    Your contributions in that thread were condescending....Others posted in that thread -- some even made sport of me in it --- I laughed with them: they were at least respectful enough to keep everything confined to that thread....but mocking by way of parody thread crosses a line of disrespect and, ironically, rather elitist

It was a legitimate question posted in the "OT" portion of PE...... perhaps to somebody on a steady diet of zeuhl, the question of Heart being Prog or Not may seem vacuous, but not everybody has the same immersion into music as another person does----- There are folks out there just getting into Prog, others that prefer their music on the poppy side, and even more still that think Prog begins and ends with Rush ( I actually know a person like this) and many of these folks pop by PE every day in which that question carries a degree of legitamacy and relevency --- and your response was a parody thread (way to represent! ).....I sincerely hope you arent arrogant enough to believe that all folks see all things music exactly as you do from your perspective

Your contributions in that thread were condescending....Others posted in that thread -- some even made sport of me in it --- I laughed with them: they were at least respectful enough to keep everything confined to that thread....but mocking by way of parody thread crosses a line of disrespect and, ironically, rather elitist

It was a legitimate question posted in the "OT" portion of PE...... perhaps to somebody on a steady diet of zeuhl, the question of Heart being Prog or Not may seem vacuous, but not everybody has the same immersion into music as another person does----- There are folks out there just getting into Prog, others that prefer their music on the poppy side, and even more still that think Prog begins and ends with Rush ( I actually know a person like this) and many of these folks pop by PE every day in which that question carries a degree of legitamacy and relevency --- and your response was a parody thread (way to represent! ).....I sincerely hope you arent arrogant enough to believe that all folks see all things music exactly as you do from your perspective
    My contribution in that thread was not condescending - your immediate reaction to that *one word* on the other hand confirmed a long-since held prejudice and perception of such. One *single* word! The fact that you evidently find that *one word* so devastatingly dramatic as to leave your own thread and jump at the allegedly "parodic" counterpart to turn that one into a thread about yourself and how arrogant and lacking in perspective your apparent adversary must be for pointing at a casus breach - well, that again only confirms it. People have laughed in this thread too, you know.

And go easy on the thumbs-up; they make for cheap rhetoric. And you know it.

My contribution in that thread was not condescending - your immediate reaction to that *one word* on the other hand confirmed a long-since held prejudice and perception of such. One *single* word! The fact that you evidently find that *one word* so devastatingly dramatic as to leave your own thread and jump at the allegedly "parodic" counterpart to turn that one into a thread about yourself and how arrogant and lacking in perspective your apparent adversary must be for pointing at a casus breach - well, that again only confirms it. People have laughed in this thread too, you know.

And go easy on the thumbs-up; they make for cheap rhetoric. And you know it.
    dude, for real? Are you a lawyer? Are you really trying to turn this one around? Nice try

Ive said all I need to say on this subject....have a good day

...oh, and Snidely Whiplash always creeped me out a little bit

..oh, and Snidely Whiplash always creeped me out a little bit
    Couldn't you just have answered this on first input? I'd already tried my best lawyer'esque and arrogantly elitist trick to turn it around by then.

Couldn't you just have answered this on first input? I'd already tried my best lawyer'esque and arrogantly elitist trick to turn it around by then.

Peppermint Patty was definitely a lesbian. Marcy, on the other hand, was just experimenting. Just a LUG.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Peppermint Patty was definitely a lesbian. Marcy, on the other hand, was just experimenting. Just a LUG.
    Peppermint Patty had a crush on Charlie Brown.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wait...why are we arguing the sexuality of cartoon characters?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I think the bigger questions are:

1. Shaggy: doper or not?
    Where do you think Shaggy 2 Dope got his inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    She was confused.

By 2018 Peppermint Patty will have completed the final process in gender reassignment. Peppermint Patty had confided in Marcy all this time. That is why Marcy always referred to Patty as "sir."

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    She was confused.

By 2018 Peppermint Patty will have completed the final process in gender reassignment. Peppermint Patty had confided in Marcy all this time. That is why Marcy always referred to Patty as "sir."
    "Peppermint Patrick" just doesn't have the same ring.............

"Peppermint Patrick" just doesn't have the same ring.............
    How 'bout:

It's Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Wait...why are we arguing the sexuality of cartoon characters?
    Two words: prog forum.

If Peppermint Patty had a crush on Charlie Brown then why was she always giving him such a hard time?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Where do you think Shaggy 2 Dope got his inspiration?
    What's Shaggy 2 Dope?

There was a great episode of Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law where Shaggy and Scooby get arrested, and Birdman has to demonstrate they're not actually dopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    If Peppermint Patty had a crush on Charlie Brown then why was she always giving him such a hard time?
    It's like that episode of Leave It To Beaver, where Beav gets punched by a girl, and his brother tells him that means she likes him.

It's like that episode of Leave It To Beaver, where Beav gets punched by a girl, and his brother tells him that means she likes him.

Ok, so when she deliberately took the football away and made him land on his ass that was more or less a mating ritual?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ok, so when she deliberately took the football away and made him land on his ass that was more or less a mating ritual?
    That was Lucy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh ok. I guess I got my peanuts gang mixed up.

You got mixed nuts.

What's Shaggy 2 Dope?
    Just be glad that you don't know, and leave it at that.