Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Heart - Prog or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I heard Bad Company and Heart were offered a co-headlining tour together sponsored by Lipitor™; it was to be called the Bad Heart tour.
    You gotta admit, that is funny right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Well, at least the band had Mark Andes in their ranks. That ought to count for somewhat of a "genre legitimacy", I guess.
    that's the SPIRIT (they're in PA )

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Seriously?..I think I got redirected to PA.
    I'm sure they were proposed a few times before, but I checked (to be extra-sure), they're not in.

But given what's in prog-related, I wouydn't oppose Heart's inclusion

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    IMHO not. I'd put them in that 'FM rock'/early AOR category of a somewhat easier-to-digest version of the rock bands of the late 60s/early 70s. Led Zeppelin were always the obvious influence in this case.

I don't see what's 'elitist' about finding the concept dubious.
    mmmm... Not really... too hard-rocking to be FM/AOR...
    Just like Aerosmith is not FM/AOReither.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Better have a listen to Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen again.
    That was my firsty throught

and that I'd like to go progressively under their gipsy skirts outfit on the Little Queen album
    Last edited by Trane; 02-08-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^Heart more hard-rocking than Aerosmith? Really?

Please note that I did say 'early AOR'...not as slick as what AOR became later, but still much slicker (IMHO) and obviously radio-friendly than their main influence, Led Zeppelin.

Please note that I did say 'early AOR'...not as slick as what AOR became later, but still much slicker (IMHO) and obviously radio-friendly than their main influence, Led Zeppelin.
    ooopsie, that didn't come out right!!
    I meant to say that they're roughly equally hard-rocking , and I'd probably put in the same bracket the BOC (AoF to Mirrors) and Styx (Equinox to Po8) albums of those years)

But nothing to do with REO Speedwagon type of hard-rock, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd agree they aren't like REO, but AOR is about as nebulous and hard-to-define as 'prog' is!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I believe so. Toronto had some cool tunes.
    I've really only heard the one song, so I honestly don't know. I just thought it was weird that Heart ended up recording a song written by one of the people in Toronto, for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

BTW, I think What About Love one of the songs where Ann Wilson said she thought the vocal was way too whiny sounding on the demo, so when it was determined that they had to do this particular song (and I get the impression she really didn't like having to do other people's songs, in the first place), she intended to put some guts into her delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It has been a while since I read the Wilson sister’s book (A good read if you are a Heart fan), but the band completely broke up in the mid-90’s when the sisters formed The Love Mongers. Leese joined Paul Rogers’s solo band in the late 90’s. When Heart finally re-formed in the early 00’s, my impression was that he was not asked to return. Again, it has been a while since I read the book so I may be remembering things wrong. Leese is still a member of Rogers solo band when he is not touring with Bad Company.
    I can see several different scenarios playing out there. When they did the Behind The Music thing, there was some insinuation that during the 80's "the guys in the band" were giving Ann grief over her weight problems. I think it's Nancy who says they were saying things like, "We'd sell more records if she'd just lose a little weight". Now, they didn't say exactly who was saying these things, but one could theoretically argue that Howard might have been one of the guilty parties in this case (or it could have been Mark Andes or Denny Carmassi, or any combination of the three). So I could see the sisters not wanting to have to deal with that when they reactivated Heart.

Another possibility is they may have figured out they could make more money if they simply hire backup musicians, rather than invite any of the guys who were in past lineups back in.

So who knows what happened.

I always considered Heart to be occasionally proggy because of guitarist Roger Fisher....I thought he was a fantastic player and has some really great moments on those first couple albums....
    www.canvasproductions.net

[But given what's in prog-related, I wouydn't oppose Heart's inclusion]

Yep, I see no reason these bands can't be in under prog related: The Tubes, The Grateful Dead, Television, Velvet Underground among others.

Wow, listening to Ann - Crazy on you... Clearly she has dropped a few steps down - cant hit the original higher notes in the song. That is a problem I thought was mostly limited to guys as they get older. She sure has a powerrful voice, but it seems like she is really reaching just to hit the nominal high notes. On the original version she goes at least a 5th higher. I think I hear a little meat shred in her voice too.

The Maestro David Kyle would have never allowed Ann to lose a step like that. (RIP Maestro)

(by the way, Heart isnt prog in my book, they're also a pretty good rock band. Proud to have them in my collection).

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    You don't know what you are missing. Some of the best vocals ever, great musicianship. Melody, Harmony, and Groove. Heart 0 is a loss.
    You just described Maddona, Michael Jackson or Eagles ...I do not like them enough to have their albums either

Banned

Heart never were regarded as 'early AOR'; they were *Rock* and they were regarded as such.
    In the second half of the seventies, as Adult Oriented Rock (AOR) were regarded the albums like The Stranger and 52nd Street by Billy Joel, Red Octopus by Jefferson Starship, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, Sleeper Catcher by Little River Band, Year of the Cat by Al Stewart, City to City by Gerry Rafferty and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    You just described Maddona, Michael Jackson or Eagles ...I do not like them enough to have their albums either
    Yep I get it. If its popular it must suck. Strange argument. Let me know when one of them made something like this and I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, listening to Ann - Crazy on you... Clearly she has dropped a few steps down - cant hit the original higher notes in the song. That is a problem I thought was mostly limited to guys as they get older. She sure has a powerrful voice, but it seems like she is really reaching just to hit the nominal high notes. On the original version she goes at least a 5th higher. I think I hear a little meat shred in her voice too.

The Maestro David Kyle would have never allowed Ann to lose a step like that. (RIP Maestro)
    He would have never allowed her to age?

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Yep I get it. If its popular it must suck. Strange argument. Let me know when one of them made something like this and I'll buy it.
    My argument has nothing to do with Pop music. I may have as well used classical music as an example. The attributes, you used, apply to just about any music worth publishing. Those attributes on their own do not make particular music necessary appealing to a music fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Progmatic; 02-11-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    In the second half of the seventies, as Adult Oriented Rock (AOR) were regarded the albums like The Stranger and 52nd Street by Billy Joel, Red Octopus by Jefferson Starship, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, Sleeper Catcher by Little River Band, Year of the Cat by Al Stewart, City to City by Gerry Rafferty and so on.
    I don't know where this "Adult Oriented Rock" nonsense started from, but that's not what AOR is. What you're describing above is the Adult Contemporary radio format.

AOR stands for "Album Oriented Rock". It evolved out of Progressive Rock radio format. AOR basically dispensed with the freeform element common to early FM stations, and involved instituting a more rigid playlist aimed at greater "commerical appeal" while maintaining the reliance on album tracks, and not just singles.

^This!^
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^and thus.

Yep. That's the way I've always understood it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Unlike many here, I'll preface this by saying "imo ymmv".

The biggest major difference between Aerosmith and Heart is that Aerosmith sucks and Heart doesn't.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't know where this "Adult Oriented Rock" nonsense started from, but that's not what AOR is. What you're describing above is the Adult Contemporary radio format.

AOR stands for "Album Oriented Rock". It evolved out of Progressive Rock radio format. AOR basically dispensed with the freeform element common to early FM stations, and involved instituting a more rigid playlist aimed at greater "commerical appeal" while maintaining the reliance on album tracks, and not just singles.
    In the U.S AOR stood for Album Oriented Rock, but I think in some other countries it had a different meaning which may be the discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Unlike many here, I'll preface this by saying "imo ymmv".

The biggest major difference between Aerosmith and Heart is that Aerosmith sucks and Heart doesn't.
    Aerosmith were a great band in the 70's. I think everything up to and including Live Bootleg is awesome. But their comeback albums stunk. Just say no to "outside" songwriting contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    In the U.S AOR stood for Album Oriented Rock, but I think in some other countries it had a different meaning which may be the discrepancy.
    Perhaps, but I never herad the phrase "Adult Oriented Rock" before I saw it mentioned a few years back on the old PE. I've done a fair amount of reading about the history of rock music, watched documentaries, etc, but I never ever saw anyone talk about "Adult Oriented Rock" anywhere but here. (shrug)

The "lighter" version of album-oriented rock is adult album alternative known as AAA. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adul...ve?wprov=sfla1

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura