Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which great rock-star(s) you think that should get a feature film?

Banned

Which great rock-star(s) you think that should get a feature film?

Feature movies about life of Keith Moon and Gary Glitter would have been interesting, methinks.

Jefferson Airplane (It'd be a black comedy no matter what the intents of the given director was)

Family (akin to above, although arguably with a higher age rating)

John Martyn (sappy tragedy)

Man (feelgood comedy)

Jon Anderson (unintendedly slapstick-crazy comedy, sorto fo like Alex Cox' 'Walker' with Ed Harris)
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would have thought Nick Drake would be a good choice; perhaps there has been
    one loosely based on his story with a name change?

I think Leonard Cohen would be an interesting subject for a film.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lak611; 02-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Laura

I will watch most documentaries about any rock stars, but don't like dramatised histories or stories. For a documentary, any of the tragedies, like Bob Calvert, Brad Delp, Vincent Crane, John DuCann or Paul Hammond, spring to mind. Also the enigmas like Greg Lake or Eddie Jobson would be interesting.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I will watch most documentaries about any rock stars, but don't like dramatised histories or stories. For a documentary, any of the tragedies, like Bob Calvert, Brad Delp, Vincent Crane, John DuCann or Paul Hammond, spring to mind. Also the enigmas like Greg Lake or Eddie Jobson would be interesting.
    An Atomic Rooster movie would cover Crane, DuCann and Hammond. That would be really interesting, since that band had so many tragedies.

I don't think Lake would be controversial or provocative enough for a movie, but Emerson certainly would. Lake didn't seem to have any interesting hobbies or do anything much different than any ordinary guys we know: fishing, collecting fountain pens and having pet dogs isn't the stuff of movies. Emerson was a pilot and liked motorbikes, not to mention all the off stage antics he mentioned in his book.
    Last edited by lak611; 02-05-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    Laura

There already was the movie Grand Theft Parsons, but the comedy was about the theft and cremation in the desert of Parsons' body.

Gram Parsons would be a very interesting subject, since his life from childhood had all the drama and tragedy (father committed suicide on Christmas when Parsons was 7, mother died of cirrhosis of the liver on the day Parsons graduated from high school, Parsons got accepted to Harvard, talked Roger McGuinn into doing a country album, etc).
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I would have thought Nick Drake would be a good choice; perhaps there has been
    one loosely based on his story with a name change?
    But unlike a film on his friend John Martyn, there wouldn't have been much drink and fistfights, dope, shootings or stabbings, wifebashing and divorce, teaming up with other superstars, and not least the whole line back to the outspring of the 2nd. folk revival in the UK - plus inevitably the amputation of a leg etc. Simple depression and suicide... It sort of doesn't quite cut it on its own anymore.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    An Atomic Rooster movie would cover Crane, DuCann and Hammond. That would be really interesting, since that band had so many tragedies.
    Yes, but moderate compared to the story of Patto. Bass player left brain-damaged after carcrash during tour (and consequently couldn't even remember his involvement in the band), drummer left paraplegic after the same accident and working up his pension by filling pints in a pub, Ollie developing severe alcoholism and a bad case of cocaine and morphine habits, Patto himself succumbing to cancer and apparently dying all alone in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Feature movies about life of Keith Moon and Gary Glitter would have been interesting, methinks.
    Really?? Can't imagine a single studio, producer or actor wanting to have anything to do with that. I suppose some may find his rags-to-riches-to-sewing-mailbags story dramatically compelling but I wouldn't want to look at it.

I admit that I can't stand biopics. A particularly whitewashed one was The Karen Carpenter Story...the truth seems to be much worse than anything in that film.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Phil Lynot.

Jimi Hendrix (already done but not a feature on his life)
    The Beatles
    The Doors (already done I know)
    Rolling Stones
    Bob Dylan
    David Bowie
    Prince
    King Crimson
    Yes
    Led Zeppelin
    U2
    Nick Drake
    Tim Buckley and Jeff Buckley
    Syd Barret
    Pink Floyd
    Bob Marley (already done)
    The Moody Blues
    The Kinks
    The Who
    British invasion
    Progressive rock (in general)
    Heavy metal (in general)
    Fusion (in general)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Phil Lynot.
    Maybe Thin Lizzy in general. Gary Moore would also be interesting.

Laura

^ Yes, I'd like to see an HBO-produced psychological thriller series (six seasons, each sporting 12 episodes) on the embryonic conception, birth, baby steps, rise, complete takeover, untimely demise and finally cultural echo and lamentation of fusion.

Starring David Schwimmer as Chick Corea (fake mous') and Dick van Dyke as his mentoral unknown grandad Jerry.

Svet, By feature film, are you meanning a Biography Feature Film (with conservative doses of creative licence thrown in)?

You know how much I don't care for Keith Moon as a musician from our conversations in the past but, yeah, I would definitely want to see a feature film on him

Others:

Peter Green
    Jeremy Spencer
    Lemmy
    Marilyn Manson

Syd Barrett

Badfinger
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Winwood, from boy scout to great rock star.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Badfinger

and The Bay City Rollers who - minus the tragedies - have a very very similar backstory (also including millions of missing money)

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    Winwood, from boy scout to great rock star.
    Syd Barrett: from Boy Scout to rock star to overrated "outsider" singer/songwriter to hermit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Svet, By feature film, are you meanning a Biography Feature Film (with conservative doses of creative licence thrown in)?

(...)
    I assume you've seen the movie The People vs. Larry Flynt from 1996. Not about a rock star, but that's it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Really?? Can't imagine a single studio, producer or actor wanting to have anything to do with that. I suppose some may find his rags-to-riches-to-sewing-mailbags story dramatically compelling but I wouldn't want to look at it.

(...)
    I strongly believe that a psycho-drama film about the life of Gary Glitter could be just great.

Last edited by Svetonio; 02-06-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post

I don't think Lake would be controversial or provocative enough for a movie, but Emerson certainly would. Lake didn't seem to have any interesting hobbies or do anything much different than any ordinary guys we know: fishing, collecting fountain pens and having pet dogs isn't the stuff of movies. Emerson was a pilot and liked motorbikes, not to mention all the off stage antics he mentioned in his book.
    I am not interested in Greg Lake for controversy or provocation; quite the opposite. I am more interested in why he did so little after such an illustrious start. Your own earlier post, regarding his pre-The Gods collaborations, reveals there was more to him than meets the eye. You are right, he was interested in fountain pens and contributed to publications on them.

Regarding Atomic Rooster, they were all in other bands and there were different incarnations of the group. I had a friend who was in a group with Paul Hammond and Nigel Harrison. He thought highly of both. Harrison's later shoddy treatment is well-documented, but Hammond deserves more attention.
    Last edited by Big Ears; 02-06-2017 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Forgot Rooster
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I am not interested in Greg Lake for controversy or provocation; quite the opposite. I am more interested in why he did so little after such an illustrious start. Your own earlier post, regarding his pre-The Gods collaborations, reveals there was more to him than meets the eye. You are right, he was interested in fountain pens and contributed to publications on them.

Regarding Atomic Rooster, they were all in other bands and there were different incarnations of the group. I had a friend who was in a group with Paul Hammond and Nigel Harrison. He thought highly of both. Harrison's later shoddy treatment is well-documented, but Hammond deserves more attention.
    I'd be interested as well, but that wouldn't be something that would sell movie tickets.

I suspect that we know the answer. The record companies probably didn't think he had any products that would sell, since his solo albums in the early 80s didn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    I strongly believe that a psycho-drama film about the life of Gary Glitter could be just great.

Last edited by lak611; 02-06-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Laura

David Bowie was the first one I thought about.
    And perhaps Lou Reed

Did they ever make a film about Tim or Jeff Buckley? Wasn't James Franco supposed to play Jeff in a biopic?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally