Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which great rock-star(s) you think that should get a feature film?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Did they ever make a film about Tim or Jeff Buckley? Wasn't James Franco supposed to play Jeff in a biopic?
    'Greetings from Tim Buckley' (2012). It portrays Jeff's (now legendary) performance of tunes from his long-since-departed and estranged dad's songbook in NY in '91. There are dramatized incuts displaying scenes from his father's life there too, but neither Jeff nor Tim are played by Franco.

The film was moderately successful and it's certainly OK and well worth seeing if you're an ardent fan - but to be honest, when push comes to shove Tim's life was itself far more culturally and historically colourful and ultimately exhuberant than his son's, although the latter reached more fame and (relative) fortune while still alive and gigging. Tim Buckley's life would have made a grand picture in the hands of the right director - arthouse or not. Alas now it will not happen.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There may have been a Marc Bolan documentary, but look at the list of departed T-Tex/Tyrannosaurus Rex members.
    Marc Bolan – lead/rhythm guitar, lead vocals (Aug 1967 – Sep 1977; died 1977) also keyboards (Jan 1969-Sept 1970)
    Steve Peregrin Took – percussion, backing vocals, drums, bass (Aug 1967 – Sep 1969; died 1980)
    Mickey Finn – percussion (Oct 1969 – Feb 1975; died 2003) also drums (Oct 1969-Mar 1971) and bass (Oct 1969-Dec 1970)
    Steve Currie – bass (Dec 1970 – Aug 1976; died 1981)
    Dino Dines – keyboards (Jan 1974 – Sep 1977; died 2004)
    Of the recognizable 'names' only Gloria Jones and Bill Legend are still around.

I think Bev Bevan's personal biography would be interesting......especially as a guy that was always involved, yet seemingly always at the periphery, of many musical styles, motifs, and flavors...from the UK clubs/pubs/trenches to The Move, to ELO, to Black Sabbath, to ELO Part II -- what a bizarre ride....and growing up with the name Beverly probably had some humorous youthful moments

I'd like to see a movie about the life of Syd Barrett IF it were approach from a few different angles. Such as leaving out the 60's lingo Psychedelic talk , communicatives example too many "Far outs," Groovies, " Hey man's" and focus more on the coolest part of the British Psychedelic music. Hire actors to take on roles of important figures who knew Syd Barrett . Maybe have an actor play Robert Wyatt. I would definitely create a scene around Syd's discovery of the AMMMMUSIC album and perhaps research more on how he applied that to Pink Floyd's sound. Keep the movie reflecting on characteristics of his importance to Space Rock or that his idea to fuse children's literature with Psychedelic music had been accomplished before by John Lennon and he was influenced by the idea and approached it differently.

I would feature his drug trips in a ethereal way creating a scene which repeated the same dark Electronic piece reoccurring for the backdrop. Strangely enough gaining the interest of Vangelis to offer some pieces or the score would make the seriousness of the story a bit more interesting. It would be meaningful to create scenes around all the things he did in life that were incredibly funny. The "Have You Got It Yet" scene, The Fillmore West gig where he D tuned and stared into space all night. The incident with Norman Smith and the Salvation army band. Try to surround the film with a subtle effect ranging from the appearance of the characters in his life to the acting itself. Because if you place an abundance of emphasis on the times Syd Barrett lived in it will not make the film special and sometimes reveal itself to be annoying if not less interesting. Thus his time spent with Iggy Rose and that being more Avant-Garde than Psychedelic. Then towards the end of the film he turns up to the W.Y.W.H. sessions. Some interesting scenes with Waters and Barrett in Art School. The guy had an interesting and tragic life. There is a way to make the film interesting and less cheesy by not cheating one particular point of his life for another. Give people a reason to want to be interested as opposed to monopolized standards existing only to profit from his life . Write a real story where the sequences of his life are divided evenly.

Interplay with his interviews, bounce back and forth with ideas, ponder, and simply form the basis of his character. He was intelligent and well spoken. Spend money, fly to England and attempt to interview the people who knew him in his youth. Measure all possibilities in what you believe to be true or false about his character. Ask yourself why there are conflicting stories about his personality . Research that by conducting interviews with people closely and loosely connected to his life and further analysis all personal agendas. Separate what your research proves to be false claim by not acknowledging it's possibility of being a fact. Give each aspect of his description by others a trial period until an idea of his character begins to form on its own. If you want a good film you have to study the character a bit and think for yourself . Good period films are difficult to make as you would want to choose your own interpretation of a character to degrees. For example it has been written that E.A. Poe was neurotic or displayed anger and that can be exaggerated to prove a point, but it should blend with other degrees of his so called personality. Have some respect for your art and be creative. Johnny Depp has expressed interest in playing the part of Syd Barrett within the last few years. I'm not sure how that would work out? Who would direct it? It depends on who is willing to invest . I'm sure it's been discussed.

wasn't too good, the 1st problem being casting Penn Badgley from Gossip Girl.
    (although after the Franco stuff calmed down, there was talk about that gawd awful actor from Twilight, Robert Pattinson, who probably would have been even worse).

Mark Rendall would have made so much of a better casting, assuming he would have been approached. Not only does he look a ton like Jeff, he actually is a musician.

mark-rendall-jeff-buckley.jpg

The only biopic I've ever seen about a real musician that I thought was any good at all was "Walk the Line".

David Essex did a good job in the excellent "That'll Be the Day" and it's fine sequel "Stardust", but they were fictional.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Chuck Negron, leading up to when his penis exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    There already was the movie Grand Theft Parsons, but the comedy was about the theft and cremation in the desert of Parsons' body.

Gram Parsons would be a very interesting subject, since his life from childhood had all the drama and tragedy (father committed suicide on Christmas when Parsons was 7, mother died of cirrhosis of the liver on the day Parsons graduated from high school, Parsons got accepted to Harvard, talked Roger McGuinn into doing a country album, etc).
    There's a documentary out about Gram Parsons called Fallen Angel (2004) that's very good. Lots of interesting stuff about his friendship with Keith Richards. As for a feature film, yes indeed. Gram's bio would make an interesting story. I always though Ashton Kutcher would be a perfect Gram as he's a good actor and looks like Gram. He is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I think his time is past for a shot at being Gram.

Another tragic figure story that might make an interesting bio-pic would be Skip Spence. From his time with the Airplane through Moby Grape to his solo period then onto homeless insanity. Kind of like the Peter Green story but without the sort-of happier ending.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Thanks! I'll check out Fallen Angel.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Another tragic figure story that might make an interesting bio-pic would be Skip Spence. From his time with the Airplane through Moby Grape to his solo period then onto homeless insanity. Kind of like the Peter Green story but without the sort-of happier ending.
    100% agreement here. Spence's story is arguably the most tragic and still bizarrely "entertaining" there ever was in rock. Even without that apparent trip on a Triumph to Nashville while still dressed in his pajamas on the day of his release from mental hospital. I mean, the axe-chase in the studio, the string of bad trips and his development of grade-A schizophrenia, his hanging out with the smack-cult in NY, his OD from heroin and ensuing reawakening at the morgue after the coroner had actually hung a tagnote on his toe, the recording of Oar, and his struggle while living on the streets of LA and SF as a coked-up drunk and hobo eating from trashcans.

I guess a tune like "Diana" basically says it all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If it has to be about tragical figures, how about Jaco Pastorius?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If it has to be about tragical figures, how about Jaco Pastorius?
    There is a great fairly new documentary about him out right now on netflix. Not a bio pic, but well worth checking out.

I think they should do a bio-pic on Spinal Tap. That band never got its just due.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/